Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Postby Timko » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:17 pm

garublador wrote:
Timko wrote:Right now, I've got a bottle of Maker's in my cupboard. I prefer bourbon when I'm drinking liquor; rocks or neat.
I've just started getting into bourbon myself. I've been drinking my other whiskeys with just a tiny bit of water but I've found that I need a bit more water for Maker's to get it to really come alive. Is that normal for bourbon or more specific to Maker's, which I noticed is a bit higher proof than most other whiskeys I've had? I know I could (and will) just experiment myself, but I'm interested to hear what more experienced bourbon drinkers think.

I'm not an expert, but I have found out that it takes a little more water with the higher proof stuff. For example, Booker's (at 120 proof) takes quite a bit of water to really sing.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Dump truck » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:15 pm

Found this stuff recently. I was told by the guy that orders all the liquor for specs in Austin that they went out of business a little over a year ago. Really nice tequila for the price. I is similar to Don Julio 1942 but in the $40-50 price range.Obviously it's not going to be quite as good as the 1942 but at that price I'll take it. I highly recommend picking up some 42 clone while it lasts.
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby EduCatOR » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 pm

EduCatOR
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:55 pm

Timko wrote:I will be making this soon.

http://nymag.com/restaurants/recipes/inseason/45776/

On tonight's to-do list, along with chili.
Not sure what bourbon to infuse though, price will likely determine this.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Dump truck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Ardbeg mmmmmmmm

Been fortunate enough to get some of their recent special releases.

ugidael (mmmmm)
Airigh Nam Beist (meh it's okay not worth the $$$)
supernova (awesome)
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby garublador » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:08 am

Timko wrote:Right now, I've got a bottle of Maker's in my cupboard. I prefer bourbon when I'm drinking liquor; rocks or neat. I've also been messing around with rye whiskeys over the past year. My favorite is a small batched called Templeton Rye. Where most corn whiskeys have a lingering sweet flavor, rye whiskey has a much more subtle finish (sort of like scotch).
Have you tried the bourbon from Cedar Ridge yet? It's not all that strong of a bourbon flavor but it's still pretty good. Plus it's actually made in Iowa.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Timko » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:09 am

garublador wrote:
Timko wrote:Right now, I've got a bottle of Maker's in my cupboard. I prefer bourbon when I'm drinking liquor; rocks or neat. I've also been messing around with rye whiskeys over the past year. My favorite is a small batched called Templeton Rye. Where most corn whiskeys have a lingering sweet flavor, rye whiskey has a much more subtle finish (sort of like scotch).
Have you tried the bourbon from Cedar Ridge yet? It's not all that strong of a bourbon flavor but it's still pretty good. Plus it's actually made in Iowa.

I'll see if I can get it in KC. If so, I'll pick up a bottle soon.
Timko

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:42 am

I should be coming into some extra loot soon and plan on using some of it to buy some nice booze for the winter. I am a bourbon & rye drinker. I will be purchasing supplies for Sazaracs and most likely a new bourbon for for sipping on the rocks or mixing Manhattans. I'm thinking about the following but I'm up for suggestions:

Absinthe - Lucid, pricey but I won't be using a ton of it so it should last a while
Rye - Wild Turkey or Rittenhouse, I haven't had either and I've heard good things about both. Might pick up a bottle of Jim Beam or Pikesville Rye for cheaper mixing.
Bourbon - I might spend some extra loot for Woodford or Pappy Van Winkle as I hear they are excellent. Might pick up some Jim or something else to keep around for a cheaper pour.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Timko » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:48 am

Lucid isn't that good, but unless you live in a big city, you can't get good stuff.

I keep a number of ryder at my house, and feel the best bang for the buck is the Bullit Rye. It's around $25 and has fantastic flavor and finish. I just opened a bottle of Jefferson, but I've only made one cocktail out of it (pumpkin ale, apple brandy, rye, maple syrup, and egg).

When it comes to Bourbon, what kind of flavor do you like? Woodford has a lot of wheat in it, and is super mild. If you like that, consider a 4 roses small batch or single barrel. I really like Basily Hyden, but have a bottle of Makers I'm getting through right now.

I have gotten into craft cocktails big time, so if you are interested in anything unique, let me know.
Timko

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:08 am

Timko wrote:Lucid isn't that good, but unless you live in a big city, you can't get good stuff.

The liquor store I'm going to has probably 4-5 to select from so I'm up for other absinthe suggestions. They also have herbsaint if you think that's better...

Timko wrote:I keep a number of ryder at my house, and feel the best bang for the buck is the Bullit Rye. It's around $25 and has fantastic flavor and finish. I just opened a bottle of Jefferson, but I've only made one cocktail out of it (pumpkin ale, apple brandy, rye, maple syrup, and egg).

Bullit eh? I've been shying away from that because I think Bullit bourbon is only so-so but maybe it's worth a try. I like wild turkey bourbon so I am very curious about the rye, I've heard it's spicier than most though.

As far as bourbon goes, I'm not really sure what specific things I like as I've only really been drinking it for 2 years or so. I like Makers and I really enjoyed the Buffalo Trace I had (I read it's made by Sazarac). A local friend of mine (jbolt on here) has suggested Pappy Van Winkle many times so I'd like to give it a try. The mildness of Woodford sounds pretty nice for sipping neat...

As far as cocktails go, this Rye Maple Fizz sounds good and I'd like to give it a try. Not sure about how to incorporate the egg white though...
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby veganray » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 am

Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Timko » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:01 am

I'm not a fan of Bullit corn whiskey either, but their rye is really good.
Timko

Postby Timko » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:06 am

How to make that fizz:

Add whiskey, lemon, bitter, egg white, and syrup to a shaker. Stirr ingredients together until dissolved. Dry shake. ( that means no ice). Add sod and ice. Shake and strain into a fizz glass
Timko

Postby JR » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:00 pm

How does rye differ in taste from usual corn bourbons? For me the sweet and solvent type flavor of most cheaper corn bourbons is not something i crave for. I've had better luck with Scotch, Irish, Indian and Japanese whiskies. I'm usually most seduced by strong fruity multi faceted flavors such as Lagavulin 2o year old. Port and Sherry woods often help. I have tasted an ok bourbon in Rip Van Winkle and a good one in Old Rip Van Winkle. So there are good American ones out there for my taste too. I'd like to get to know more. I think Elijah Craig was praised here earlier and after tasting it, it mostly denser=older makers mark to me and i'm not enthusiastic about that. I'm usually drinking these types of drinks raw or if the taste calls for it with a drop or few of water.

Do you have rye suggestions given my palate?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby veganray » Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:08 pm

High West ryes are the shit. Bourye (bourbon/rye blend) for a transitional rye dabbler, Rendezvous for the more seasoned rye lover, and their 16 or 21 year old straight ryes for the aficionado.

I'm surprised that jr has any beverage time for whiskey in his grueling regimen of bleach-drinking.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.