Big pc problems

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Big pc problems

Postby swel304 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:15 pm

I know there are plenty of computer guys on here sowing someone can help me out here.

We got a new windows7 pc here at the shop about three weeks ago. I set up trend micro ect... Havent had any problems. I take one day off yesterday and now it has this damn "win7 total security" bs on it. Every solution I find wants me to download pc doctor (which the virus wont let the installer run even if I wanted to pay for it). They are accompanied by manual instructions too, which would be fine, except the $&&$£^^£ virus won't let me open reg exit either. Nor can I open any browser. If anyone can point me in the right direction on this I will send you a free tshirt! Lol
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Re: Big pc problems

Postby swel304 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:17 pm

Sorry for all the typos. My phone thinks it is really smart. It is not.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby kern9787 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:44 pm

Depending on what kind of data you have on there, my first instinct is always to nuke it and reinstall the OS.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby veganray » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:46 pm

kern9787 wrote:Depending on what kind of data you have on there, my first instinct is always to nuke it and reinstall the OS.

This is a good solution. A better solution: throw it in the dumpster & buy a Mac.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby bill » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:53 pm

kern9787 wrote:Depending on what kind of data you have on there, my first instinct is always to nuke it and reinstall the OS.

this. or you can download combofix. it's the best malware remover i've used.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloa ... s/combofix

mac's are superior but not all software used in the business world will run on a mac or virtual pc.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Ironhide » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:40 pm

One thing you can do is install a malware remover like bill suggested, or there's malware bytes, ad-aware, spybot, etc.. And run the computer in safe mode and run the scanners. Most virus/malware blocks you from installing it or running it in normal mode.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby veganray » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Dumpster/Mac solution looks more & more attractive with each reply, huh, swel?
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby roman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:00 pm

bill wrote:

this. or you can download combofix. it's the best malware remover i've used.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloa ... s/combofix

mac's are superior but not all software used in the business world will run on a mac or virtual pc.

Since the virus is already blocking you from running any application, it may not let you run combofix unless you disguise it as something else first. Rename it to iexplore.exe or something that the virus DOES allow for you to open.

In case of viruses that block every program that you attempt to run, I always run RKill first. Download that here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/downloa ... irus/rkill

Download one of the eXplorer.exe or iExplore.exe variants. If you are successful at opening these files on your first try, then you will see a black box open saying that RKill is attempting to run. If you get a message that this file has been blocked because it's infected, don't do ANYTHING, just open that RKill file again. The second time you open it, it should work. Once RKill does it's thing, then you can either install Malwarebytes or run combofix.

Please note that whatever you download to fix this, it would be best if you could download it on another computer to a flash drive, and then copy it to the infected computer from the flash drive. That way you don't have to open Internet Explorer or any other browsers on the infected computer.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:35 pm

veganray wrote:Dumpster/Mac solution looks more & more attractive with each reply, huh, swel?

No not really. "buy a Mac" is pretty lame advice. Macs are not immune to viruses. Ppl just don't waste time writing viruses for, what now like 5% of the home computer market? Lol

Anyway I really just want to Nuke it but I can't seem to make that happen with this lenovo recovery cd either. Maybe if these dumb customers would leave me alone I could make some headway. Lol

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:04 pm

I remove these viruses all the time. Just do what I said and you'll be fine ;) Shouldn't take you more than a half hour.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rusch_bag » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:18 pm

Macs are dumb and mac users all think they are the shit for some reason.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby swel304 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:45 pm

Rkill just stopped a process that I have been stopping manually all day. Combofix insists that I have a corrupt download no matter how many times I download it or what I name it. Oh I did figure out I can log into the non admin account and wrestle open firefox. If I kill that process it will let me open trend micro but it doesn't find anything on the scan.

Macs are cool. Mac users are not cool.... Lol

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Ironhide » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm sensing a "Mac VS PC Rage War" :P

cough* try safemode cough*
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:20 pm

If you have a known good computer with up to date anti-malware you can take the hard drive out of the infected system. Connect it to the good system and run a deep scan on it to rid yourself of the virus. Pretty much anything you run that is .exe will be blocked because of the nature of this virus. They do have adapter kits you can get at major electronic stores that should provide an interface to connect via USB.

The other option is to format and reinstall your system, the drawback is you'll lose your data unless you back it up. This would require the device I described above to complete. The other thing to consider after the deep scan (if you can get that far) is that your system might be in a crippled state. Sometimes, cleaning your computer can cause it to not work correctly and you'll have to do a repair or a backup, then reinstall.

Also, Macs aren't bad systems either as they're less susceptible to viruses currently (plus they’re based on linux – which is a rad OS). I believe as they gain more market share they'll become a bigger target. Malware creators know that M$ has the lion's share of the desktop market, so they're looking for the biggest bang for their buck. Most of the viruses a Mac is vulnerable to is because of M$ products (Office).
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby swel304 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:39 pm

even in safemode i could not open anything wihtout this junk popping up and blocking me. so.... im not sure what I did different but after about 10 tries combo fix finally did it's thing. PC rebooted and the virus appears to be gone but now anything i try to open gives a memory reference error.......

as for mac vs pc, im really not trying to offend or point any fingers, but in general mac users seem to feel superior like the rest of us are too dumb to buy into the apple "lifestyle" and our preference of PC makes us ignorant. They love to chime in on threads like this (again no offense intended) to tell you to buy a mac and repeat catch phrases like "it just works". If mac's were the universal "perfect" computer, M$ would be out of business, but last I checked they are doing ok. :lol: mac users are also very sensitive so i'm sure i'm going get it for this, so here is an old favorite to really get them upset.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net ... =macs_cant

but seriously, i would love to have a mac, but i wouldn't buy one if I didnt already have a good PC. It would be used for graphics and a/v editing and thats about it.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.