Big pc problems

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Big pc problems

Postby turso » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:15 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Postby Powdertoast » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:05 pm

I wouldn't bother trying to remove malware, it gets too entrenched too efficiently these days. I'd use a Linux live CD or another known good PC, copy non-OS, non-browser, possibly non-executable data off the drive to somewhere safe, then nuke and reload the drive. It takes me less time to do this than run a bunch of utilities and scans, and I feel more secure about having cleaned the drive up this way. But that's just me, I haven't had the time the last half decade or so to keep up on the latest and greatest removal tools.

As far as Mac vs PC, both are good for different reasons. I like PC versatility and lower price, but I like Mac overall stability. Both can be hit by bugs, but like someone else said, Macs don't get as much "love" from bug writers. I run a PC with Ubuntu for everything but games, and Win7 for games. With a Mac, I'd probably have Win7 somewhere for games. Gotta have 'em.
Cinderella story. Outta nowhere.... It looks like a mirac... It's in the chains!
Powdertoast
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Vector

Postby Redisculous » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:06 pm

I recently removed a virus from a friends pc that sounds amazingly similar to this one.

it blocked everything I tried to run or install, and even when I thought I had isolated it,s it came back every time.

The solution was actually quite simple. I went into safe mode and did a system restore. This was on a vista machine though so Idk if it will work for you, but it's worth a try.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby swel304 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:38 pm

the problem isnt the virus anymore. its memory reference errors. like this.

it seems like everything the program was blocking now gets this error along with a handfull of windows processes that keep getting them as well.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby kern9787 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:54 pm

veganray wrote:
kern9787 wrote:Depending on what kind of data you have on there, my first instinct is always to nuke it and reinstall the OS.

This is a good solution. A better solution: throw it in the dumpster & buy a Mac.

That's a mac users solution to everything. Upgrade? Dumpster + new computer.

At least for me, a fresh install of windows 7 doesn't take long at all to accomplish. Downloading/reinstalling games is another story. I usually keep all my important stuff off of my C drive anyways so that when I get a virus, I can easily nuke that one, reinstall OS and a few programs and be back to 100%.

The best antivirus is smart computing though. I keep an anti virus and anti malware program installed, but they never get to work. Don't click every link you see. And for fucks sake, if a pop up comes up with a button on it that says close and clicking the x to close the window doesn't work, don't press the close button...
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby J-Bolt » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:07 am

ComboFix can be pretty harsh, it may have deleted some registry keys or files it shouldn't have.
J-Bolt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Vacant

Postby swel304 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:18 am

Sigh... Another day begins. I'll be back on this thing here in about an hour and I have to have it up and running by this afternoon or we are gonna loose money this weekend. So if anyone has more suggestions i would appreciate it. I would nuke and reinstall but the disc that came with the pc doesn't seem to be bootable. I just don't have much experience with windows 7. I'm starting to remember why I got out of the computer field and went back to painting. Lol
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby bill » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:23 am

swel304 wrote:I would nuke and reinstall but the disc that came with the pc doesn't seem to be bootable.

if it's a restore disc it's bootable. probably just a ghost of the original os setup on the pc so it will wipe off any data you have saved. you need to enter the bios when booting the pc( f5 or f8 or f12, the pc should flash this choice before it boots) and look for boot order and set it for the cd drive to be first in the order, before the hard drive. save the bios and then try again.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby veganray » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:44 am

kern9787 wrote:That's a mac users solution to everything. Upgrade? Dumpster + new computer.

PC users' solution to everything: fruitlessly try f'ing with it for a few hours, frantically post on internet message board looking for a solution, f with it for a few more hours, finally jury-rig a "solution" that involves jumping through a dozen hoops every time you try to do something productive, and start all over again when Nanolimp graces them with the newest "upgrade" & its 278 inherent fatal flaws.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Powdertoast » Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:11 pm

"Nanolimp" is good, I'll have to steal that. PC != Windoze.
Cinderella story. Outta nowhere.... It looks like a mirac... It's in the chains!
Powdertoast
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Jerrod » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:10 pm

Among its features, Windows 7 has got an interesting but quite unknown tool able to scan and diagnostic your computer memory and find memory errors. This tool also known as Windows Memory Diagnostic is triggered by problems related to your computer memory and there is no obvious way to open it through a icon or a link. Let’s see how to start this useful tool manually.

Click Start.
In the Search Box, type mdsched.exe and press enter.
Select Restart Now and Check for Problems or Check for Problems Next Time I restart my Computer.
Either way, next time your computer reboots it will show you the diagnostic tool.
Note: Microsoft recommends that you let the Memory Diagnostics Tool run automatically. However, advanced users might want to adjust the tool’s settings. Here’s how. When the tool starts, press F1. Now you will be able to tweak these options:
1. When the Memory Diagnostics Tool starts, press F1.
2. You can adjust the following settings:
* Test mix. Choose what type of test you want to run: Basic, Standard, or Extended. The choices are described in the tool.
* Cache. Choose the cache setting you want for each test: Default, On, or Off.
* Pass count. Type the number of times you want to repeat the test.
3. Press F10 to start the test.

Done!

http://www.webtlk.com/2009/12/07/how-to ... ory-error/

Also try Crap Cleaner. http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/3000- ... 47048.html Has a good registry fixing tool.

Poke around on this page as well. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... -Windows-7
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby Powdertoast » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:51 pm

For memory testing, I bypass the hard drive completely by booting Ultimate Boot CD. Looks like the current version of the UBCD has a Microsoft Memory Diag, interestingly.
Powdertoast
2010 DGR Donator

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.