Windy Conditions Putters

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Windy Conditions Putters

Postby Mason65 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:31 am

Hey guys, I currently live in West Texas and I picked up disc golf not too long ago. Unfortunately, the weather conditions here are constantly pretty windy. Im wondering what kind of putter i want to settle into for shots under 60 feet or so; I want something that goes straight and is impervious to wind so i figured something max weight. Do I need smooth, premium plastic for less wind friction, or is that not going to affect the flight enough? will a deeper rim be more susceptible to the wind getting up under it and carrying it where i dont want it to go? I just want something similar to tossing a rock at my target. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby Blake_T » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:41 am

soft plastic dies the most as it loses its shape and is more apt to fall out of the air due to lack of rotation.

mold dictates wind stability way more than weight. anyone that disagrees with that statement probably doesn't have much experience with using stable molds in a variety of weights. while weight will come into play somewhat, a 165g wizard will be a much better wind putter than a 180g aero.

taller rimmed putters will be more succeptable to wind, but again, it's more about rim design. a kc aviar is fairly deep but will be 20X the wind putter an xd or breeze will be since they are inherently understable.

nothing is impervious to wind, as 99% of wind success = how you putt into it.

putting flat is the key for holding a line into headwinds.

my advice is to practice in the wind and learn lines that work into the wind. confidence and experience are the main things to have with any kind of putting and looking for a putter that simply refuses to fly is an inferior solution to finding a good line.

however, the closest disc you are describing is probably the pro rhyno.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby adidadg » Sat Mar 04, 2006 12:28 pm

I would suggest a DX Gator. It is faster than most approach discs so It cuts through the wind very well, and it has a very low glide characteristic, So it wont rise or get floaty as much as other discs when putting into a direct headwind. The description of throwing a rock at your target describes the Gator very well because it has the lowest glide of any disc i have tried, it gets the job done for sure. A couple more you could try are the Bulldog and the Rhyno.
adidadg

Postby Mason65 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:17 pm

I appreciate the help guys.
Mason65
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The pink one

Postby Fritz » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:27 pm

I love my 175G Innova Champion Rhyno. I'm am so money, when putting into the wind with this putter. I've tried the Medium and Hard Wizards, and I just can't get those to do what I want to do in the wind, like I can with the Champ Rhyno.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:55 am

I went to a wizard putter (hard is my favorite though I am using a soft proto) after some advice from Blake, I think on the pdga forum. When I got my wizards ( you get 5 of them for 35 bucks or so ), I took them without looking at the weights. After about a 2 hours, I started separating the ones I was hitting with and the ones I was missing with into about a 35 mph wind or so. My best was a 175 hard--worst was a 170. Not very scientific, but I still do better with max weights. I even drive better with the 175 versus the 170.

Also, I use what he calls short arm putting (hope I get the terminology correct) and find more success with it. Keeping the disc flat is a must unless you know how to use the wind to aid you, which I don't.

If it's extremely windy, I have been going to my mid (midnight buzz). Many down here putt with their champion spider.

I tend to putt nose down, but I'm not sure if that's correct or just something I do.

Where in west Texas are you? I like to play different courses and don't mind travelling. I'm hoping to play Victoria this weekend. The wind is something else here; I don't see wind like this when I play Austin or San Antonio, so I feel ya.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Rhyno!

Postby Dupaloop3611 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:56 am

Rhyno. no question for the wind. get yourself a dx or pro rhyno 175 and give it a throw. works well in any wind. the nose of should be down but slightly. putting is about motion. you get force with body weight not arm strength.
-dupaloop-
Dupaloop3611
Noob

Re: Rhyno!

Postby Fritz » Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:11 am

Dupaloop3611 wrote:Rhyno. no question for the wind. get yourself a dx or pro rhyno 175 and give it a throw. works well in any wind. the nose of should be down but slightly. putting is about motion. you get force with body weight not arm strength.

I love my Champ Rhyno for a driving Putter as well, I haven't tried the DX or Pro Rhyno yet...I'll have to pick one up. I've used teh Champ Rhyno for 6 months or so as my wind putter and love it.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Solty » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:00 am

i traded away my champ rhyno a few weeks ago....

initial thoughts: i can putt in the wind with my standard use discs

after thoughts: man, the rhyno does hold up quite better in the wind

banger in the wind: gt was nice however the wind was all over the disc
soft wizard in the wind: held a smoother line...but the wind still knocked it down
86softie in the wind: "forgetaboutit"
avair in the wind: held the best line(non rhyno) but the wind did straight things to putts over 15 feet.
rhyno in the wind: fought the with nose up and down. wind will still take 'er for a ride however i felt comfortable putting from 20 feet with the wind with the rhyno.

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Return to Equipment