Slowing it down

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Current Set Up

Postby rooneytunes » Sun May 30, 2010 10:53 pm

C-PD - Headwinds, overstable slot
2-1.1 QOLF - Hyzer, Flip flat
1.1 QOLS - Anny's

2x ESP Cyclones - seasoned/seasoning
Champ Glo Whippet - Utility, thumbers

11x Roc - seasoned to perfection
Dx Roc - flat stable
Flat Top Roc - fresh
Fuse - Me rikey

Firm Ridge - Driving
Reg Ridge - Putting

8 Molds, and I feel like I have it dwindled down about as much as I can, for now...
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby Shank » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:56 am

could you shave one more off with a 1.2 qolf to replace the c-pd?
Magic + Wizard + Fuse + Roc + River + Teebird + ????????
Shank
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The lake ate it

Postby rooneytunes » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:13 pm

Thought about it. Tried it. 1.2's just don't have enough stability to hold in 20mph winds. I just feel like there is a gap if I leave it out.
rooneytunes

Postby rooneytunes » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:50 pm

I've changed my bag up quite a bit after many weeks away from d golf. I will be experimenting with spikes in the coming days. I'm not used to having two putter molds in the bag, but I have not gotten the Ridge to excel at finishing right. I could wait and beat one in, but that's never going to happen. I guess I could also stay within the vibram family and retry a summit, but they are so speed sensitive. Seems like it would be more work trying to tune a summit in than it would be to beat a ridge into submission.

Stable Control Drivers
Opto River - 3 directional

Distance Drivers
P-PD - Longest disc in the bag
GL Flow - Will it be better than a P-PD? Only time will tell....

Understable Driver
Champ RR - Tailwinds and LONG anny shots

Moderately Overstable Driver
S-PD - Controlled DIstance
P-PD - Fresh

Very Overstable Driver
Champ Firebird

Mids:
2 DX Ranchos
Opto Fuse

Putters:
Firm Ridge
1st Run Ridge
Med Ridge - 164g looking for a little more help reaching the chains from further out
rooneytunes

Postby rooneytunes » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:16 pm

S-PD - 172 Fresh
P-PD x2 171 Fresh, seasoned straight
Champ RR 170

Champ FB 167
QPLS - 170 Straight w/ left finish
Opto River - 165 Excellent line shaping fwy driver

Opto Fuse 179
GL Core - 174 Kind of redundant, but fun to throw
Dx Roc x2 180
Coming soon!!! Opto Pain should remove my fresh roc and possibly render my other superfluous.

Soft VP - 170 I love approaching with the soft vp. It just stops dead. I also don't find it as overstable as the med/firms that I've used.
Med Ridge - 164 main putter and drives
Med Summit - 164 Turnover drives and approaches,
The summit and the ridge are both 164g and the x-link blend is the best I've used so far, especially in colder weather.
rooneytunes

I need your help

Postby rooneytunes » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:44 pm

Pretty much the same, but took out the rocs and added an opto pain and a 165g GL fuse for finesse hyzer flips and the like. I'm really liking the Pain. The GL core holds a turn for a long time before coming out and stopping dead.

I still like the PD's but my P's are starting to get squirrelly in the increased winds here. I'm a little frustrated cause the P's are the longest discs I throw but I have no confidence in them when it's windy. The S-PD is alright in some lighter head winds like 10mph but when it's pushing 15mph or higher, it can't hang. In a perfect world, there would be a PD that's stability was between the S' and the current C's. I like the one mold deal, but I'm starting to feel limited. Some people here say that domey champ starfires are the answer to headwind D. I'm maxing at 350ft with the PD's, will a domey starfire be too much disc for me? Are there some other options that's would be better?

Also, I have been thinking about throwing a valkyrie back in the bag. Any suggestions for the best plastic for the "ideal" valkyrie flight? I'm thinking it would replace my P-PD's and be a max D driver in calmer conditions.

Q Polaris LS is the best disc I have ever had in my bag. No question.
rooneytunes

Slowing it down

Postby rooneytunes » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:26 pm

I dropped everything over speed 7 other than the Firebird. Just picked up some EX's to try out. I'm tired of masking my poor form with longer drivers than I can really throw. After a few rounds with this set up, I don't think I'm losing out on any distance that I thought I had with the PD's. So far the SEX is pretty awesome.

SEX - Fresh
CEX - Fresh
QPLS - I know there's a lot of overlap, I just have it in there for comparison since I am very comfortable with it.
Opto River
CFB

2x Pains
GL Core
Opto Fuse
GL Fuse

Grip Spike
2x Med. Ridges
rooneytunes

Re: Slowing it down

Postby rooneytunes » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:56 pm

It has taken me a long time to dive into the sex, but now that I have, I'm pretty happy. I have dropped my driver weights down to the mid 160's as well and I feel like that is making a huge difference in getting them up to speed more easily and eeking out that little bit of extra distance. I have decided to stick with these slower drivers until I can get them out to 350(reasonably attainable goal) with ease. I need to get a video of my drives for some critiquing as this will probably speed up my progress.
rooneytunes

Re: Control Fairway?? Do I need one??

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:04 pm

rooneytunes wrote:Well, tossed my z comet 177 today, it's definitely sensitive. I like that it'll hold the turn to the ground, it's just touchy. Not as much glide as I was expecting. Prob. cause it's heavier but still. Kind of a let down.
Buzzz won't be seeing my bag unless I have a meltdown with the rocs. I really want to throw a stalker and check it out. Seems like what I'm looking for for a fairway driver. Also, it's almost always a good sign when you can't find one in the trade emporium to save your life.

Have you tried an X Comet? They're pretty glidey and they might make you sport some wood.

I noticed at one point you were throwing/putting with a Grip Pure...how are those? I have a few Zero Pures and they're great turnover discs that won't finish left (rhbh). I love the feel of the grip as well.

Did you ever throw a Gazelle or Cyclone? The Comet and Gazelle really helped clean up my form and is a great fairway driver. Dave seems to think that I should and will drop the Gazelle once I get used to the PD.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby rooneytunes » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:15 pm

It's gonna take a shit ton of glide and otherworldliness to get me to give up the fuse.

Get a grip pure and find out :D . They are great neutral fliers w/ minimal lss. Keep them dry though.

I used esp cyclones for a good while this past year and I really enjoyed them, but I felt like I could push a mid out or reign in an olf or pd for the same effect. It turns out I was wrong, so I dropped all of them and now I'm just throwing eagles for both of those slots :shock: Cyclones are so controllable and a beat in esp can really work a ton of lines. I am kind of missing them now that I no longer have them.
rooneytunes

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:07 pm

rooneytunes wrote:It's gonna take a shit ton of glide and otherworldliness to get me to give up the fuse.

Get a grip pure and find out :D . They are great neutral fliers w/ minimal lss. Keep them dry though.

I used esp cyclones for a good while this past year and I really enjoyed them, but I felt like I could push a mid out or reign in an olf or pd for the same effect. It turns out I was wrong, so I dropped all of them and now I'm just throwing eagles for both of those slots :shock: Cyclones are so controllable and a beat in esp can really work a ton of lines. I am kind of missing them now that I no longer have them.

I'll have to get a Grip Pure and check it out, I hope it is a tad more stable than the Zero....they must be glossy if you're telling me to keep them dry.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby rooneytunes » Sat May 07, 2011 11:14 pm

The more and more I'm using the SEX and the River, the more I feel like the River is basically a squirrely eagle that can't handle a headwind. So I'm looking to audition a leopard for that turnover, straight w/ minimal fade fw driver spot. I've heard that the star leopards are more stable than their champ and pro counterparts. Is that true? If you were to choose a leopard, what plastic flies the way a leopard "should" fly? Thanks for the help.
rooneytunes

Postby JR » Sun May 08, 2011 3:15 am

rooneytunes wrote:The more and more I'm using the SEX and the River, the more I feel like the River is basically a squirrely eagle that can't handle a headwind. So I'm looking to audition a leopard for that turnover, straight w/ minimal fade fw driver spot. I've heard that the star leopards are more stable than their champ and pro counterparts. Is that true? If you were to choose a leopard, what plastic flies the way a leopard "should" fly? Thanks for the help.

Stars fade more true. Echo Stars too. DX fades the least and once broken in flip way more than the rest. Haven't thrown Pro Leos. Champs have a very mild fade so they can work depending on what you want.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Sun May 08, 2011 6:42 am

rooneytunes wrote:The more and more I'm using the SEX and the River, the more I feel like the River is basically a squirrely eagle that can't handle a headwind.

I found the River (low 160s) to be a less-predictable Valkyrie, but yeah, same basic idea.

rooneytunes wrote: So I'm looking to audition a leopard for that turnover, straight w/ minimal fade fw driver spot. I've heard that the star leopards are more stable than their champ and pro counterparts. Is that true? If you were to choose a leopard, what plastic flies the way a leopard "should" fly? Thanks for the help.

Caveat: my Leopards are 150s. For me, Star and Champ Leopards fly almost identically, with the Star Leo maybe an infinitesimal smidge more stable. I have not found the slight difference in stability particularly useful, so I throw Champ Leos. I will be interested to see how the Star Leos fly when they get dinged up a bit.

Some folks rave about Pro Leos, but I have not thrown them enough to comment.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby rooneytunes » Sun May 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I guess it's gonna be a lighter champ Leo and we will see how it goes from there.
rooneytunes

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion