Foam Roller

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Foam Roller

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Discwrangler wrote:Anatomy of "Fuzz" with a cadaver, aka why you should use this everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FtSP-tkSug

I've also added the Mobility WOD to my blog list. This guy is good, some say genius. He is a DPT. It's kinda tough to follow all the technical terms, but I've found that watching it daily basically tells you, work on mobility 10 minutes everyday, somehow, someway. You know when it feels "good".

Awesome stuff there. Thanks for posting!
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:55 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:
Discwrangler wrote:Anatomy of "Fuzz" with a cadaver, aka why you should use this everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FtSP-tkSug

I've also added the Mobility WOD to my blog list. This guy is good, some say genius. He is a DPT. It's kinda tough to follow all the technical terms, but I've found that watching it daily basically tells you, work on mobility 10 minutes everyday, somehow, someway. You know when it feels "good".

Awesome stuff there. Thanks for posting!

Like really. That shit is ridiculous. I've gone back to start at the very beginning (August 2010) and apparently I didn't know what stretching was before. My hips are mega tight and this exercise took all of my will power to get through.

That guy knows what's up, or he is a quack and I'm going to get seriously injured. Either way, it's gonna be a fun ride.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Discwrangler » Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 pm

He is a DPT (Doctor of Physical Therapy) so I hope I can believe him!

Yeah, that one is freaking tough! I've been trying to get it done once a week.

I've also been working on the deep squat every day at work (I have a good setup!)...trying to accumulate 10 minutes in the squat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_-Mtbl4dYY
Discwrangler
Noob

Favorite Disc: Whatever I'm throwin

Postby rehder » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 am

so just wanted to get my 2 cents in on this. Foam rolling rocks, and I can recommend adding in tennisballs or golfballs for more specific pinpointing. (For example rolling a golfball under your feet will work wonders)
I would prefer to get a harder roller though, since my foam roller has gotten slightly deformed.

some good articles on foam rolling

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... r_10_bucks

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... tough_guys
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Discwrangler » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Along those same lines, this guy has been taping 2 lacrosse balls together to run up and down your spine. I'm thinking tennis balls will work too. Planning to hit the store tonight and putting this new device to work.
Discwrangler
Noob

Postby discgolfgeek » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:38 am

I highly recommend foam rollers. I use them twice a week and I am still loosening tissue in various places. Once you hit 50, a foam roller is necessity if you want to hang on to your elasticity.
discgolfgeek
Noob

Favorite Disc: BUZZZ

Postby Ironhide » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:31 am

If you use a foam roller in combination with a strap, you can get really nice deep long stretches. The problem is that people usually stretch the muscles that don't need to be stretched. Like if you can do a straight leg hamstring stretch and you can touch your hands flat on the ground. That muscle already can operate at it's full range of motion. Ideally what you want to do is a full body ROM test (best when someone moves you) and stretch the muscles that you don't have full range of motion in. Typical muscles that are tight are... Pectoralis major, Hip flexor muscles - Iliopsoas, Iliacus, Psoas Major, Rectus Femoris, External Hip rotators - Piriformis, Obturators', Gemellus', etc..
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby Discwrangler » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Got mine yesterday. :D

Rumble Roller!
Discwrangler
Noob

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:30 am

^^^ Is this real?^^^

The regular hurts enough. Maybe I'm just a pussy.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Previous

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury