Hip injury

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hip injury

Postby Hwicha » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:23 pm

Hello gang,

Last season I injured my right hip. I was doing a forehand drive (right hand) and dragged my right foot instead of lifting it. Now, 7 month later it still hurts. I went to play today for the first time after winter and the feeling is not good. And mentally I am afraid it is going to hurt and therefore the round was a disaster.
Help!
Team Millennium
Russian DG Association president
PDGA CC Russia
Hwicha
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Millennium

Re: Hip injury

Postby Ironhide » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:12 pm

Which particular movements bother you? I'm trying to picture how you 'drug' your toe cause that's going to be the mechanism of your injury and depending on the angle of your hip could be a few muscles, but I'm almost willing to bet that it's your hip flexor or groin injury. Not to mention that you're still injured over a 7 month period sounds like it cause these muscles are small and involved in a lot of movement. So was it like you were walking straight and dragging your toes behind you or ???
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby BLURR » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:05 pm

I injured my hip early last fall. It affected me in day to day activites...not just dg. It took until about late February to early march for it to start feeling good again. For a while...I had issues sitting in a chair for more than 10 minutes at a time because of it. There wasn't much the doc could do either. She said I would pretty much have to grin and bear it for a while.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Hwicha » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:22 am

Ironhide wrote:Which particular movements bother you? I'm trying to picture how you 'drug' your toe cause that's going to be the mechanism of your injury and depending on the angle of your hip could be a few muscles, but I'm almost willing to bet that it's your hip flexor or groin injury. Not to mention that you're still injured over a 7 month period sounds like it cause these muscles are small and involved in a lot of movement. So was it like you were walking straight and dragging your toes behind you or ???

I tried to look to some pictures to understand which muscle in the hip bothers me.
I have to say that it does not hurt when I walk, but when I play dg.
It is not any of the groin ones. I think it is the one behind the big one. When you put you hand in the front right pocket of your jeans, you feel the big one. Well, the one that hurts is a smaller one somewhere behind it (or a bit to the inside).
Sorry, I hope I can describe it better :-) Thanks for your help. Oh, yeah, and it hurts when I both play forehand or a power drive backhand.
Team Millennium
PDGA CC Russia
Hwicha
Tree Magnet

Postby Whiz » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:48 am

Probably the hip flexor. Google hip flexor injury for some good exercises. I injured my hip flexor during cross country in high school and it is not a fun injury :x
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby JR » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:11 am

Sorry to hear that. And sorry i don't have a clue so i can't help you. Take care and maybe you should concentrate on your family for a while i'm sure your wife and kids will appreciate it :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Ironhide » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:37 am

See if doing this bothers your hip.
1. Lie on your back.
2. Maintain a flat lower back while grabbing behind your left knee.
3. Pull your left knee to your chest.
4. Normal flexibility is indicated when your right leg remains flat on the floor. Your hip flexors are considered tight if you attempt to lift your left knee toward your chest, and your right leg leaves the floor.
5. Repeat with your other leg.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby Hwicha » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:50 am

Ironhide wrote:See if doing this bothers your hip.
1. Lie on your back.
2. Maintain a flat lower back while grabbing behind your left knee.
3. Pull your left knee to your chest.
4. Normal flexibility is indicated when your right leg remains flat on the floor. Your hip flexors are considered tight if you attempt to lift your left knee toward your chest, and your right leg leaves the floor.
5. Repeat with your other leg.

Thank you.

No, my right leg (with the injured muscle) remains on the floor. But that injured muscle hurts when I pull left leg to my chest.
When I repeat as suggested with the injured leg I actually can not do it all the way. It feels like there is a lump or a knot (although there is no visible swelling).
???
Team Millennium
PDGA CC Russia
Hwicha
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:41 pm

I'd visit a doctor if it has bothered you this long.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Hwicha » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:37 am

Riiiight, I knew you would say that Jussi, but I would rather find a home remedy then going to the doctor here. First, you will pay through your nose, and then they will treat you for a wrong thing.
Team Millennium
PDGA CC Russia
Hwicha
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:55 am

Hwicha wrote:Riiiight, I knew you would say that Jussi, but I would rather find a home remedy then going to the doctor here. First, you will pay through your nose, and then they will treat you for a wrong thing.

Hopefully not. Well paying is a given but sometimes they find the correct ailment and a good remedy. Sounds like your injury isn't rocket science to diagnose if you have an abnormal swollen area in a muscle. Not everyone in Finland is named Jussi if their name starts with a J :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Hwicha » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:51 am

Shoot... sorry Janne... my bad! :-) I was distracted while writing a letter to Jussi Meresmaa and chatting with another friend with the same name, sorry, man.
Team Millennium
PDGA CC Russia
Hwicha
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:19 am

No problems. Multitasking ain't easy always :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby johnsmit1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:53 am

Hwicha wrote:Hello gang,

Last season I injured my right hip. I was doing a forehand drive (right hand) and dragged my right foot instead of lifting it. Now, 7 month later it still hurts. I went to play today for the first time after winter and the feeling is not good. And mentally I am afraid it is going to hurt and therefore the round was a disaster.
Help!

Hi, I think you should consult with any good physician in your area because cause could be anything.

So you must be alert about it.

Good luck!

miami liposuction
Last edited by johnsmit1 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnsmit1
Noob

Favorite Disc: mango

Postby chinkura » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:32 am

What is the worst injury you have ever seen? A recent NBA injury got my stomach all sick and I wanted to know what you thought was the worst or 2nd worst injury that you have ever seen. Is it on youtube for me to watch? I guess I like throwing up.
Last edited by chinkura on Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
chinkura
Noob

Favorite Disc: DFNV

Next

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury