Week 4 - 5/22 through 5/29: Putter & Midrange Work

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Week 4 - 5/22 through 5/29: Putter & Midrange Work

Postby koffee » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:13 am

I normally play two rounds after work. After reading this I decided that this was a very good drill for me. So I started doing this about 5 days ago. I noticed a couple things that it forced me to do besides the form work. The first is that it made me take shots that I am not totally comfortable with throwing. This made me use form to change my shots instead of reaching into my bag to pick up X disc. The second thing that it made me work on is precision it forced me to put the disc in a certain areas for a good upshot instead of just forcing it down the course.

I guess a lot of what this showed me is what I really should have been doing. Thanks for the drill it was good clean fun except for the painful parts.

CHEERS - Koffee
koffee
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: buzz

Postby maxarinkel » Mon May 03, 2010 4:48 pm

This is a brilliantly simple idea that I should have had long ago. I started playing just putter rounds as well, since I have a short course at home (all under 300') and have switched to only throwing my putters and mids. It's added distance to my drives, control to my long and short games as well as giving me a huge boost in confidence. It's amazing how far I can launch my putters accurately now. I am definitely going to try the rest of these exercises. Thanks for putting them up!
maxarinkel
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby krik72 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:55 pm

I did this for a week using just a 172 DX Roc and 175 KC Aviar. I started off averaging about +6 over my normal score but by the end of the week I pulled out two scores of only +2 over my average which felt like a pretty big win given I play a long course.

The really awesome part was when I went back to using drivers I broke my best record by 3 strokes! Really teaches you a lot about the margin of error on shots and makes you think about when to be less aggressive about going at the pin.
| Wizard - Ion | Buzzz - Fuse | XXX - TeeBird | S-PD - Destroyer |

Help my drive!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pelP-tx6bQo
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19836
krik72
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S-PD

Postby Powdertoast » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:42 pm

I did this twice this week at the toughest course for me in the area to see which new mid was going to replace my constantly-overpowered-for-the-last-few-weeks Comet. I went through the course once with a new Mako and once with a new Fuse, both times limiting Aviar R-Pro use to putting only. I made my best score to date on that course with the Fuse, though I made plenty of great shots and lines I wouldn't have even tried before with both mids. The Fuse is in the bag until further notice because I liked working with it more, but I'm going to try a Mako round again next week just to be sure, and because this is awesome practice. I've disced down to just mids and putters, but that planning and placement thinking that others have talked about hadn't kicked in for me until playing these two rounds with just a good mid and a putter. Even though I did this mainly as a mid showdown, I'm very strongly recommending mid and putter only rounds to my friends.
Cinderella story. Outta nowhere.... It looks like a mirac... It's in the chains!
Powdertoast
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Vector

Postby Smigles » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:28 pm

Blake_T wrote: Unless you have a freakishly long course (average hole length > 300'),

Sorry what ?

I think average hole length at 400 is normal. < 300 is a minigolf course where I wouldnt even bring drivers for tournament rounds.

Anyway, did two rounds ( 9 holes each ) today on our local training field. We have 5 baskets and a nice layout of 9 holes between them, with a nice mix of hyzers, anhyzers, tunnel shots, short and long holes. The only hole where I missed my driver was the 550 feet hole all across the training area. I took one additional throw to my normal score on this hole. From the rest of the round I think that there are other things I need to work on more than my short game. Putting for example :D
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby SpookyElectric » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:11 am

For my last 2 games ive been playing in headwind and still weather with a putter and mid-range

Day 1.) Headwinds of 20+Mph
Disc used: Pro-pig 175
Average distance that day: 220-250'
What I learned: What i learned today was form and control. Playing in the wind with an overstable disc really made me feel confident in the wind. Also I leaned the flaws and tweaks in my grip and form

Day 2.) Still and calm weather
Disc used: Z-buzzz 167
Average distance that day: 250-300'
What I learned: Day two was all about the thought out tweaks in grip and form. I worked on mainly controlled distance. That day was a great day but still need to work on technique and form. The local pro did say i had a great form from the last time he saw me.
Pure - Banger GT - Pain - Buzzz - River - Viking - Firebird - Wraith
SpookyElectric
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flow

Postby Jazzuar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:05 pm

I am glad somebody dug this thread up. I played two rounds this weekend with just a SM Roc and a Banger GT. I learned alot about picking apart the course with controled shots instead of just looking for the big bomb and probably failing at it.
Banger GTs/Rocs/River/Monarch/Grooves
Jazzuar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Monarch

Postby kamiskillet » Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:26 pm

I've done this for about a month now. I used a comet + putter to work on my form. My scores were about 5 strokes worse but I recently shot 7 strokes better than I ever have at my home course. Going back to drivers after not using them for so long took some getting used to.

I'll start cruising these forums to help my form and game. I've been working on your grip drills. Blake, thanks for your time.
kamiskillet
Noob

Previous

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments