boatman

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: boatman

Postby Booter » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:57 pm

nope :( i didnt get a chance to snag one. i was hoping to but it just wasnt happening today. i have a tourney tomorrow so i wont b able to swing by. i might see if i can get one on sunday or something
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby JR » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:07 am

discspeed wrote:Looks a lot like a Flow with a slightly blunter nose. Damn. I love the PD2, but if I had something that felt just like my Flow only more overstable and in OPTO, I may have to go with it.

I know I'm risking pissing off the Finns here, but I have a REAL hard time believing that Lat64 doesn't have major input when Westside is engineering their molds. The similarities between Westside and Lat64 discs are too uncanny.

No data but i think the guy that runs Westside Discs has a masters degree in engineering. And it would not be wise to discount Tomas if he has advice. I'd think that there is more than a little at least consulting from Lat to Westside. No idea if this is the truth though.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dag » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Took a 174g Boatman out to play today and was pleased with my first impression.

Westside states that their VIP plastic is 'more than 98% similar' to Lat 64's Opto. Curious what the one point something difference is as I received some Lat 64 Diamonds in the same order that appear to be of an identical hue.

I'm on the low end of the power range for this disc (320' +/-20' reliable). Had a nice breezy (20 mph gusting to 25) day to trial the Boatman as my interest in it was for a wind disc even though it's large(r) diameter and domey. For comparison, I took with me a 168g VIP Northman, a 170g Opto Riot, a 175g C PD (BigD), and a 172g Opto Blitz. Relative stability was Blitz > C PD > Boatman > Riot > Northman, pretty much what I expected. The flight for me was probably closest to that of the C PD though the Boatman was a bit longer up and downwind at the risk of being a bit farther right than I was aiming. Never lost it to the right though, always came back given the height to do so. It'll be interesting to see what higher powered players make of this.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby Booter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:25 pm

well shit. i still plan on getting some boatman to try out but at this point im taking a break from golf for a knee injury. sucks to be me. fml
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby zj1002 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:28 pm

I threw a couple of them today. 169g and 17?g(i forget). Both flew nearly identical. flight was very straight with a bit of fade at the end. basically held w/e line you put it on. it performed s-shots beautifully. Threw it flat in a headwind and it tracked right before fading. reminded me a lot of a PD(a straight one). most of the throws were done in a 25mph+ tailwind and returned in a headwind. it's a nice disc, but falls in a category already crowded by a shat ton of other discs. it's a straight thrower with some late fade, and for the most part doesn't like a headwind over 15mph+
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Booter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:32 pm

boo thats not what i wanted to hear whats a zj. throw a opto flow next to it tomorrow. a moderate domed pink one preferrably. then see how different those are for me
always looking for:
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby zj1002 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 pm

we also have different styles but i'll give it a shot tomorrow. should be a very slow day.
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Booter » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:45 pm

yea i know and u have about 9000 more power :shock:
always looking for:
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby discspeed » Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:38 am

Yeah, I'm thinking that sounds good to me. If I remember correctly ZJ reviewed PD2s similarly to the Boatman and probably flips Flows pretty hard.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby zj1002 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:23 am

the boatman does have a good amount of control(or reliability w/e the preferred term is). it does what you tell it to do. if I throw it enough at the store, I could see myself picking up one when I got the funds
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:25 am

as for the PD2. I was throwing some straight P-PD2's. I actually have a stable P that is in my bag right now(Needed it for the hippodrome winds)
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:57 am

boatman is more stable than flow
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Booter » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:16 am

ooo im gonna have to go get one
always looking for:
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby zj1002 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:44 am

and i threw stable flows
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:45 am

we got goldline kings in as well
zj1002
metroid cannon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment