Vibram Fivefingers

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Vibram Fivefingers

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:45 am

what'shisname wrote:Just grabbed some of these today as well.

My first experience with the VFF's. I'm a huge fan of going barefoot whenever possible so I'm hoping I'm going to love these. They felt great in the store today, I'm going to try and take them for a spin tonight to see how they handle.

Yup. These are the one's I'm rolling with now after going through 2 pairs of KSOs (and returning them at REI). The construction of the treksport seems a bit more robust than the KSOs and the lugged sole really improves traction. I used my treksports for a round of golf at cliff stevens and watertower park over the weekend and had no issues at all. Lovely footware.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby rusch_bag » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:05 am

mickas wrote:Picked up a pair of KSO Treksports black/gray also today, I went on a three mile run and they were great, I then tried to play a few holes of disc golf but decided it was too muddy and wet so the testing on the course will have to wait till another day.

I'm just slightly skeptical about the mesh material on top and the durability, I went with the trek sports over the regular trek because of price and it seems like they will also breathe better. Can anyone offer me a comparison of the two?

I am going to continue to give you shit every time you wear those. I don't give a shit how comfortable they are or if they add 50 feet to your drives and make you never miss a putt, anyone who has these on still looks like a big douche.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:29 am

rusch_bag wrote: anyone who has these on still looks like a big douche.

:o :o :o :o :o
how dare you!
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby mickas » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:59 am

Just for that post I'm going to wear them not only when we play disc golf but any other time I see you Jacob.
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby bill » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:17 pm

rusch_bag wrote:I am going to continue to give you shit every time you wear those. I don't give a shit how comfortable they are or if they add 50 feet to your drives and make you never miss a putt, anyone who has these on still looks like a big douche.

i saw a guy wearing them while golfing and i was embarrassed for him.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby what'shisname » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:32 pm

Took mine out for a round at lunch today and loved every second of it. I'm not about to take these out anywhere in a social type setting, but man, for disc golfing running and hiking... they're fantastic.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby what'shisname » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:51 am

Used them again last night for some field work and I'm even more convinced. We still have some melting snow and a fair bit of wet ground so after an hour in the field my toes were starting to get pretty cold but other than that they were fantastic. Had I worn my toe socks I would have been fine, but they would have gotten soaked.

My wife is hating me lately because I talk about these things all the time and she hates them. She's just jealous because she has flat feet and is convinced they wouldn't work for her. :P
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby steezo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:39 am

My KOMODOS Sports just came in. Going to pick them up at lunch. These things are sweet. 8)
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Komodo-Sport-Mens.htm
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby trippinbill » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:01 pm

steezo wrote:My KOMODOS Sports just came in. Going to pick them up at lunch. These things are sweet. 8)
http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/Five-Fingers-Komodo-Sport-Mens.htm

I've been thinking about getting these. Let me know how they work out for disc golf. They seem like they would better that the previous styles.
-Tommy

I want your unique JLS.
trippinbill
Noob

Favorite Disc: JLS

Postby steezo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:00 pm

I love the KOMODOS but I do not like them for disc golf. I get too much traction and can not rotate around the way I need to. I'm sticking with my Brooks Cascadias for disc golf play and the five fingers for other activities.

FYI- The Vibram Five Fingers Speed is coming out in June which looks super causal.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby JR » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:41 am

Komodo seems to have circular areas under the heel and the ball of the foot. As if they are designed for pivoting... I've never used Five fingers of any kind other than fitted the originals. They felt way too thin in the sole for pain protection stepping onto sharp rocks or thin stums that are broken and therefore sharp. Like upward pointed spear. One course i play on has those. Do i recall correctly didn't someone say that at least some Five fingers wear too fast in DG? Would the Komodos ber sturdier. For me great traction is a bonus in almost all situations. I'm usually light on my feet for speed and power generation. And i play on natural tees often so toe protection is an issue on top of the traction requirements. We see a lot of wet ground here.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Iman522 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:47 pm

I've been rocking a pair of KSO's for about 3 years and a 1 1/2 years of solid disc golf and running. They are definitely starting to get really broke in but they still work plenty fine and I really enjoy them. I do think I will be able to get another 6 months out of them so I don't think wearing out to fast is a problem.
Iman522
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:23 pm

Cool. How is the KSO for protection? I play on a rocky course often. Natural tees so kicking something harder than my toes is probably gonna be common.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Iman522 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:21 pm

They do have a rubber toe guard on the front of the toes. If they are big rocks it might be a bit tough on the toes. If they are small rocks they are plenty fine. I think that they would get the job done but there would definitely be other shoes that would protect better. (I'd still recommend them though!) :D
Iman522
Noob

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:02 pm

Mornin' Interwebbers,

Having just completed another joyous round of disc golf with my Vibram Treksports, I feel the need to prop them up a bit. First, I'd like to state that I owned 2 pairs of KSOs before purchasing my Treksports and I manged to separate the mesh uppers from the polyamide lower material. As stated before, this may have been partially my fault as I used the KSO heavily in the gym and occasionally for Basketball. I don't think the KSOs were built to withstand the heavy lateral movements required in basketball, apparently a new model, the KOMODOSPORT, was built with lateral movement in mind. Either way, VFFs are not the best footwear for hooping.

On to the Treksports... I've owned my pair for about a month now and have ~5 rounds of golf on them. For disc golf, the Treksports are far superior to the KSO. The slightly thicker, slightly lugged sole offers a bit more protection and increased traction. Warning: KSOs are VERY slippery in wet grass / mud / etc. The materials and construction of the Treksport also appear to be much more durable than the KSOs (only time will tell). The Treksports also have an soft Neoprene pad on the Achilles Tendon that helps to prevent abrasion. I didn't experience much discomfort with the backs of the KSO but the skin on my Achilles did get develop a bit of a callous. There is a downside to the increased padding, it also functions as a funnel for debris that will occasionally start to rub on the heel and cause discomfort.

Having upgraded from the KSO to the Treksport, the only feature I miss from the KSO is the minimalist sole for situations that do not require the extra beef. The more robust sole of the Treksport is thicker than the KSO causing it to be a bit stiffer. This does slightly take away from the "barefoot" experience but, only having money for one pair, I'm fine with loosing a tiny bit of feel for increased functionality. The price tag of the Treksport is also $15 more than the KSO ($100* compared to $85) but if the Treksport has a longer life span, I consider the $15 money well spent.

Any shoe in the VFF lineup will be closer to a barefoot experience than traditional uni-toe footwear. I love being barefoot and if there weren't rules and hazards prohibiting being barefoot, I'd do it all the time. If you feel the same about being barefoot, check out a pair of VFF, if not, don't. The KSO Trek looks like it would be great for disc golf as well but I'm afraid of being barefoot in leather shoes for long periods of time. VFF is coming out with a laced model (Speed) soon for those who want a more traditional look.

KSO

Treksport

KSO Trek

Speed

* I only paid $50 for my Treksports using my 20% REI member discount and my $31 dividend.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear