fasteddy8170 needs comments

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

fasteddy8170 needs comments

Postby black udder » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:40 pm

I am definitely one of those guys who is strong-arming it. From a standstill, I can throw laser beams from 250 feet up to 290 feet, depending on what disc I use. They go straight as arrows at about 5 to 6 feet off the ground. They tend to tail just a bit at the end, of course, but usually very little. I can get them to hyzer and an-hyzer pretty easily as well, so I have pretty good control of them.

But, when I do any sort of run up, my distance only increases by like 10 to 20 feet and my control falls apart. I realize that to master anything takes practice, practice, practice and my technique I think is improving but there are a few things I still haven't figured out.

1. When I throw from a standstill, I really feel the "snap", to the point that after a while my fingers start to hurt. But, they never hurt when I do run-ups and I can't figure out why. It feels like I'm snapping them off but my fingers say otherwise. In fact, I would say there is something going on with my technique that is causing my grip to be less when I do run-ups. Any ideas?

2. I notice from watching some of the videos on YouTube that the distance throwers really put their plant foot out at an angle. They don't put it straight out in front of them. They step out at like a 45 degree angle and then let the disc fly. I see why they do this. But, it feels like I'm off-balance when I do that. It makes me want to fall off to the side, even though I don't think I'm leaning over that much. Any ideas?

3. No matter how hard I try, I can't get my back foot to come off the ground and swing around like many of the long-throwers. And when I try to "force" myself to do it my plant leg sends a pain right up into my lower back and the disc goes nowhere. Instead, my back leg turns and my toe stays on the ground. I know this is a weight transfer and timing thing but haven't figured it out. Moreover, I have a problem getting my plant to turn on the heel as I throw. It wants to stay planted with the toe pointed at a 45 degree angle and not pointed at the target. Any ideas?

I will post a video to show what I'm talking about: http://www.youtube.com/user/vegaspua37? ... wLdd_qjRSY
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Re: fasteddy8170 needs comments

Postby black udder » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:43 pm

quick comments:

1) looks stiff
2) not weight forward. Watch at your release and you'll see that your chest is behind your plant knee. You need to get your weight over that plant leg.
3) no finish. it looks like your throwing objective is to throw up to the release, you need to be throwing with an end point well beyond that so that you are still accelerating when the disc comes out.

Keep reading the forums and watch Dan Beato's thread.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:46 pm

what
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:52 pm

Eddy? Udder? Whoever is on that video needs to seriously either raise the ball of the foot or pivot on the ball of the foot. Anything to not stay flat footed. That hampers the foot pivot. It can be trained without x steps and without a disc in the hand. Pointing the right side to the target RHBH just raising the ball of the foot off of the ground and reaching back after that then doing a mock up throw the right foot should pivot and you should step farther than the right leg with the left and having the chest pointing 90 degrees right of the target.

Once you protect your body by always _always_ pivoting then you can start doing x steps safely at your current speed. Once that is cemented feel free to add a lot of acceleration to the steps in the x step and the plant step.

Hip work etc. comes later.

Until steps are automated body control is gonna be more difficult and with things happening faster than you're used to the timing and execution of the orders from the brain to the finger pinch is gonna be problematic. It's easy to lose the feeling of the tug of the disc with steps but it may not be any weaker. You're just overwhelmed at all that's going on and it is a lot for such a short period of time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby black udder » Fri May 06, 2011 8:07 am

i believe it was eddy that posted this in another thread so I just put it over here so it'd get a look at.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Return to Video Critique