boatman

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: boatman

Postby Booter » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:48 am

yea those are flippier than the vips
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby jubuttib » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:15 am

And at least my VIP is plenty flippy as it is. But damn if it isn't easy to throw long.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Booter » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:17 am

yea the king is easy long. the pinkish reds seem to have a bigger dome than the green/yellow ones. i scooped up a couple and they fly identical to the greens/yellows but with a little more glide because of the dome. i was going to get some of the tourney plastic ones but after feeling them,i decided not to. theyre flat and just felt different,might be because of the difference in dome or just me but i didnt like the feel. i do know theyre flippier than vip which is a little more than id like to deal with
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby money 21 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:49 am

I know the northman is coming out in the tourney plastic as well I hope they keep the dome and glide of the vip because that is what set the orthman apart from the other discs in it same class is the glide. (oops hijacked my own thread).
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Varsi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:42 am

Had to get one of these myself aswell. Picked the one with the highest plh and I do consider mine quite overstable. I also do not have the power I think this thing would need right now. I've generally been having trouble with drivers after winter :(
Varsi
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: JOKERi

Postby throwharder » Tue May 03, 2011 3:56 pm

Any more reviews I got two coming
throwharder
Noob

Favorite Disc: Echo Star Teebird

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 03, 2011 4:03 pm

You check out the "FIrst [sic] impressions on the newest discs for the flight chart" thread, it's been discussed there. Basically it's probably the straightest driver for the speed category it's in. Surprisingly good in the wind. Damn fine disc overall based on a few throws.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby throwharder » Thu May 05, 2011 7:10 pm

I really liked the boatman today. It was easy to keep straight but held lines with that beautiful strong fade
throwharder
Noob

Favorite Disc: Echo Star Teebird

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu May 05, 2011 9:29 pm

Tried out a boatman yesterday, much more stable than I thought and it was pretty uncomfortable for me to hold.The wide rim plus the deepness of the inner rim made it really hard for me and my tiny hands to hold and throw.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby NoLifeLeft » Thu May 05, 2011 9:35 pm

It is surprisingly deep. I was actually going to comment on how easy it is to grip but I have very long fingers, YMMV.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby rehder » Sat May 14, 2011 12:45 pm

zj1002 wrote:I threw a couple of them today. 169g and 17?g(i forget). Both flew nearly identical. flight was very straight with a bit of fade at the end. basically held w/e line you put it on. it performed s-shots beautifully. Threw it flat in a headwind and it tracked right before fading. reminded me a lot of a PD(a straight one). most of the throws were done in a 25mph+ tailwind and returned in a headwind. it's a nice disc, but falls in a category already crowded by a shat ton of other discs. it's a straight thrower with some late fade, and for the most part doesn't like a headwind over 15mph+

So after Blake talked up the boatman I was very interested to try it out. I got three (171, 173 & 175) and I thought that it seemed pretty stable in calm conditions it has a big fade (at least as big as any destroyer). So I was curios to try it out in headwind, since there are plenty discs that will do straight in calm conditions.
Unfortunately my findings mirror ZJ's. I threw them today in 7m/s to 12m/s (~14mph-~24mph) and they would all flip over unless I gave them copious amounts of hyzer.

So Im still better off with a stable OLF and my Z-forces (and Z pred)
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby turso » Sat May 14, 2011 12:55 pm

I've been thinking of replacing my strikers with the boatman, gotta buy a tournament plastic version and see if they'd fill the slot better than the striker does. Or I could jump on the mainstream train and switch to PDs, but meh, time will tell.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby rehder » Mon May 16, 2011 10:55 am

Id say it depends on how far you throw.

If you easily throw over 400 then yes it might make sense, otherwise I would stick with OLF, striker or pd. Which all can be found in varieties that do the exact same thing
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:23 pm

picked one up a while back and am very suprised more people are not throwing this disc it has fit nicely into my bag. The boatman seem born to be flicked and is grea at flying low and straight before fading out very useful on tight courses.
Last edited by money 21 on Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:14 pm

money 21 wrote:The boatman seem born to be flicked and is grea at flying low and straight before fading out very useful on tight courses.

My pinkish red boatmans are a lot more stable than the new glow wraiths I normally use for power flicks over 300'. I also bought a colorshift and it's only a touch more stable than a new flatish glow wraith. Thing is glow wraiths are easier to pick up but once they start to turn on a hard flat low line, I cycle them out of the bag.

:idea: Perhaps a seasoned VIP Boatman will stay in my don't turnover sweet spot for a longer time.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment