Simple bag for a simple man. Loop's bag + LED BAG!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Simple bag for a simple man. Loop's bag + LED BAG!

Postby Loop » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:49 pm

Okay, I´m kinda new to this whole bag making thingie. I´ve been pretty much playing with what I have ran across in stores.
But for this season I´ve been starting to put some more effort to it. And for that I would need some advice. This is what I´ve gotten together so far:

Stable Control Drivers:
C-PD 168g (new, orange) For tunnel shots, and control drives.

Distance Drivers:
EchoStar Destroyer 172g (new, yellow) For distance.

Understable Drivers:
Star Valkyrie 170g (new, blue) For right turners and standing still shots.
Star Valkyrie 166g (very beat, light blue) For annies, and rollers.

Moderately Overstable Drivers:
S-PD Freak 175g (new, yellow) For moderate wind, and hyzers.

Very Overstable Drivers:
ChampyStar Boss 174g (new, red) For really windy conditions.

Mids:
Dx Classic Roc 175g (new, white) for approach, and short tunnel shots.
DX Coyote 177g (very beat, white) for annies.
P-MD2 173g (new, orange) for straight shots.
D-GM 175g (new, red) for hyzers, and longer midrange shots.

Putters:
SSS Magic 175g (new, red) Just for putting.
SSS Wiz 173g (beat, grippy, pink) Rainy day putter, and for some anny approach shots.

I have 2 or more identical copies of each disc, (except for Coyote and Anny-Valk) and I switch them between days, so the wear and tear is slower.
Also I´m thinking of getting a Latitude 64 Opto Pain for windy midarange duties.

Feedback would be nice, since I´m still a total beginner...And I havent really been able to test this setting out, due to all the snow. :D
If you have some suggestions of what the bag is lacking, or has too much of, please let me know.
Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by Loop on Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:39 am, edited 5 times in total.
P1|P2|rhy|MD2|roc3|FD|FB|TD|PD|PD2
Loop
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR D-P2

Re: Need some help to fine-tune my bag.

Postby victorb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:12 am

It probably would be easier to give constructive feedback if we knew how far you're throwing currently.

I'd say your setup looks pretty good. Personally, I'd recommend putting a big-dome destroyer in your bag to replace the boss for windy distance. The C-PD (from what I've heard at least) is stable enough to be a workhorse overstable driver. If you're not comfortable with it in that role, I'd recommend trying a predator or firebird.

I notice that you don't have a workhorse fairway driver listed (most people with your setup would go with something like a P-PD). You should look into that distance range between your midranges and PD/Destroyers. A lot of people like a slower fairway like an eagle or cyclone in that slot.

Midranges look OK, but too many molds IMO. Beat in a MD2 for turnovers, it will easily replace your coyote. A good overstable compliment to the MD2 would probably be a Hornet or Sentinel, or for more overstability a drone or demon. The GM would lose out to the hornet or sentinel as a moderately overstable midrange, but you'd be down to 2 instead of 4 discs to decide between.

Putters look good. Rainy putting is all about confidence, and if you're comfortable with the magic just use that. The wizard is a great compliment to the magic.

That's about all the feedback I'm good for today. Hope that helped.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Loop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:23 am

Yeah, that helped a lot already. :)

Here´s some more info of me/bag:

My max distance is 140m (425'), but thats really the MAX, threw that in a soccer field. I would say I throw around 120-130m (360' - 390) for absolute maximum distance in a course. And 100-110m (300' - 330') with "some" accuracy.

I use the C-PD and S-PD for 275'-330' shots and Destroyer just for max. But yeah switching the PD´s vice versa should be a smart idea. Max weight C-PD for wind and hyzers, a bit lighter S-PD for tunnel shots and standard driving.

As a fairway driver I use the Valk/GM. But I´m not even all that sure what a fairway driver actually is, what distances is it for? What do people use it for? Its an enigma to me. :D
Also the Valk is for turnovers, backwind drives and hyzerflips.

For 220' - 275' and I use the GM. And also for shorter shots, if theres wind.

Not really sure at the moment where I use the MD2, havent been able to throw it much yet. But I would think it goes for 180' - 220' straight shots. And turnovers.

The coyote is my first disc, and REALLY beat in. I just wanted it in for anhyzer bombs, the kind of shots that arent supposed to flex out. :) Also its pretty close to the MD2, mold wise, allmost same rim, and same diameter.

But at the moment I´ve been thinking about Lat64 PAIN, for some reason I am attracted to that disc, dunno if its the name or whatever. But all the things I´ve read about so far make it sound like a nice disc. I was thinking of getting a 170ish Goldline to replace the GM and a max weight Opto for strong wind disc...then again, I do enjoy throwing the GM, love the way it feels in my hand. Buut as you said, I need less midrange molds, not more of them...

As for the Boss, I´m using it for the same shots people use an Xcalibur for. I guess I could do the same with a Star Destroyer, but since I´m probably going to throw it quite rarely, I dont feel like buying another Destro. :) But that would let me get rid of an extra mold... Ah decisions decisions. :lol:

Oh and the putters, yeah I love the magic, but the SSS Wiz is just grippier than the SSS Magics I have...Maybe I just should go and hunt for some grippy Magics, that would let me get rid of the Wiz.
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby Wyno » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:11 pm

Hmm, you need to check your conversion - 140 m = 460 feet, not 425, 100 m = 330 feet... Also, a soccer field is usually 100-105 meters long (absolute max is 120 m but 100m is much more common), so throwing from corner to corner would mean 118 m. 450 feet of controlled golf distance is a pretty rare feat, so you may need to re-check your distances as well, or you may find people a bit incredulous... Just sayin' ;-)

A Fairway driver is a more controllable, slower and shorter driver. Easier to place and range than max distance drivers, and should fit in between mids and distance drivers. That's all really. If there's a 360 feet hole, and your max repeatable distance is 425, it's usually safer to throw a fairway driver as opposed to powering down on your max distance drivers or going all out with your mids. I use XL's and preds as my PDs are quite a bit longer, but I throw quite a bit shorter than you (golf distance so far is PDs to 380, XL's and preds 350). Some people power down a bit on the PDs. If you're allright with that it's ok of course, but most people who try this route don't last too long.
Check Discspeed's bag thread for a discussion of pros and cons of having nothing betwwen Buzzzes and PDs (he's got a JLS in there ATM).
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby victorb » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:49 pm

Loop wrote:
As a fairway driver I use the Valk/GM. But I´m not even all that sure what a fairway driver actually is, what distances is it for? What do people use it for? Its an enigma to me. :D
Also the Valk is for turnovers, backwind drives and hyzerflips.

A fairway driver is generally anything in the speed 6-7 part of the Innova flight chart. Similar speed discs can be cross referenced on the gottagogottathrow.com flight chart.

The fairway driver should (at least in my opinion) be the most used driver in your bag. Most holes require more accuracy than what distance drivers (like your valkyries and destroyers) can provide, while needing less height to work than a midrange. So, wherever you feel like you might have problems controlling the valk on a certain hole, but can't reach the basket with your GM, a fairway driver would probably work great. Or, wherever you need more distance than a midrange, but accuracy is at a premium as well, that's where the role of the fairway comes in handy. Fairways are generally longer than midranges while being easier to pinpoint than distance drivers.

Most suggested slower fairway drivers on this site (since you have longer control discs like the PD) would include - in no particular order
Teebird, Eagle, Gazelle, Cyclone, Stalker, XL, Leopard
I highly suggest putting one of these in your bag, or trying a few out till you find something that works for you. And trust me, you won't be sorry that you tried them out! I'm sure you'll find one that you love.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Loop » Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:03 am

Oopsie. Yeah got those darn feet wrong. Yeah thats 460' then. Anyways the meters in my post are correct.

Yeah been thinking of a Teebird or TL. But PD has been working for me on shorter shots (powering down) but you´re probably right, thats its a bad way to throw shorter distances.
So I´m probably getting a TL, since I used to have one and it felt good in my hand. Even tho TL seems to have a hell of a lot of glide, and so it feels a lot faster than speed 6-7?
Anyone know of an overstable...ish disc that is actually speed 6-7?

On another note, those damn new Magics are feeling extremely slippery when its warmer. I´ve been practicing indoors today, and they feel almost oily to my hand. :S
Anyone got an idea on how to de-slick them?
Sorry, thats a bit off-topic...
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:40 am

Innova Banshee is that slow and very overstable in Champion DX can be beaten in to less overstable fairly fast if you can throw in rocky areas or whack a lot of trees.

Not knowing what's making the Magics slippery i can suggest the legal method of dish washing liquids the not legal water sand paper or the legal throwing the disc across pavement top up and down.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Loop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:50 am

Ok at the moment I´m leaning towards the following set-up. Been making some changes.

Putters:
SSS Magic. For all putts, windy, rainy, snowy, hurricane.
S Wizard. For approach shots and off the tee.

Midrange:
P-line MD2, 172g. Straight shots, anhyzers, right turners.
D-line GM, 175g. Longer straight shots, hyzers.
GoldLine Pain, 180g. Hyzer bombs, wind duty.

Fairway:
Star TL, 175g. Straight shots, tunnel shots.
OR OptoLine Striker.

Turning driver:
Star Valkyrie, 166g. (beat) Anhyzer bombs, rollers.
Star Valkyrie, 170g. Right turners, hyzerflips, backwind.

Moderately overstable:
S-PD Freak, 175g. "Long" controlled drives, hyzers.

Overstable:
C-PD 175g, Wind fighter, Hyzer bombs.

Max Distance:
E* Destroyer.

Got rid of some extra molds as was suggested. And got a fairway driver, as you told me to. :)
And indeed its looking much better, simpler. Also now I dont have to carry an insane amount of discs. :D

If Discmania would just make a freakishly overstable version of GM (maybe C-line?), that would simple things even more, unless the Pain (that arrives next week) is just too good to get rid of. :lol:

Anyone know is there much difference between TL and Striker? Is Striker longer than the TL? I´m looking more into it myself, but input would be appreciated...

*EDIT*
No more of the Pain/Striker problem. I heard that atleast Striker has a slanted rim, and if Pain has the same, then I´m not interested. I hate discs with slanted rims. Also heard a nice tip where I could find some extra stable GMs. So yay! :D The lines colored blue, can be ignored. :)
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:00 am

Striker and TL are close to each other in distance with a slight edge to the Striker for me. Striker has the least slant so little that i don't even notice it in the grip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Loop » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:14 pm

Ok I got the missing pieces for the bag, and here it is in all of its glory. :lol: Thanks to everyone for the help! :)

Putters:
SSS Magic, 175g. For all putts, windy, rainy, snowy, hurricane.
S Wizard, 175g. For approach shots and off the tee.

Midrange:
P-line MD2, 172g. Straight shots, anhyzers, right turners.
D-line GM, 175g. Longer straight shots, hyzers.
S-line GM, 175g. Extra hard blend, overstable, wind fighter.

Fairway:
Star TL, 175g. Straight shots, tunnel shots.

Turning driver:
Star Valkyrie, 166g. (beat) Anhyzer bombs, rollers.
Star Valkyrie, 170g. Right turners, hyzerflips, backwind.

Moderately overstable:
S-PD Freak, 175g. "Long" controlled drives, hyzers.

Overstable:
C-PD, 175g, Wind fighter, Hyzer bombs.

Max Distance:
E* Destroyer, 172g.

11 discs.
8 molds.
1 happy dude. :D
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby victorb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:25 pm

looks good man! stick with it for a while, once you get comfortable you will know exactly what you're looking for in a disc, or what discs will fill in a secondary spot in the lineup :)

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Loop » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:00 am

Okay, that previous setup didnt stick for long. I found the TL to be completely useless :cry: , and also C-TD replaced my Valkyrie the instant it came out.
So this is what the bag looks like now, and it feels much better. Only problem I´m having is the driving putter...

Putting:
Main Putter: SSS Magic, red, 175g. Love em, see no reason to change......ever. :D
Driving Putter: ION or P2, not sure yet, need to keep testing.

Midrange:
P-line MD2, orange, 173-178g. Best of the best, so so so straight.
C-line MD2, pink, 180g. Beats into a straight shooter, and so great for low hyzers, and windy conditions when new.
CS-line GM, 175g. Something you can count on in every condition.

Drivers:
C-line TD 168g. Anhyzer or turning shots, go to disc.
S-line PD(freak) 175g. Use this for pretty much everything thats out of the reach of my mids, or doesnt need turning over.
C(FR)-line PD 175g. Wind duties
E* Destroyer 172g Long looong looooong!

What can I say, I love Discmania. :oops:

But the driving putter is a real problem. I used to go with the Wizard, so straight and grippy, but the inconsistency in the new runs disturbs me too much.
Now i´m using P2, and it seems fairly nice, a lot of fade still tho, but the grip is nice. And its cheap.
Just ordered a Medium ION, am pretty psyched about it. Jubuttib speaked so highly of it, and we seem to share the love for a lot of discs. I´m guessing its pros would be the alleged straightness and being nearly indestructible...we shall see.
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby victorb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:56 pm

maybe try out a C-PD2 for distance drives in the wind...heard nothing but good things about it.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Loop » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:43 am

victorb wrote:maybe try out a C-PD2 for distance drives in the wind...heard nothing but good things about it.

Yeah, was thinking the same too.
Loop
Tree Magnet

Postby Loop » Thu May 05, 2011 1:19 am

Right-O. Some changes have occurred...again. :?

Putters:

-D-line P2 First Run 172g.
Lovely, gummy and soft thing, just for putting.
-D-line P2 175g.
Upshots and off the tee.

Midrange:

-P-line MD2 First Run, 175g, orange.
Straight shots, anhyzers, long hyzers.
-P-line MD2 First Run, 180g red:
Flippier than the orange one, but still rather straight, trying to beat it into a turner.
-Basic Jokeri 170g.
Stable, straight, not much fade. Upshots and off the tee. Better in the wind than P2.
-Premium Jokeri 176g.
This disc rules! So so stable. Use it for every hyzer under 90m that needs some fade. Also awesome in the wind.

Drivers:
-S-TD 171g white:
Pretty stable, and sooo straight. Backwind and calm condition straight goodness. :)
-CFR-TD 175g yellow:
Flippier than the white one. Great for s-shots and slight turners.
-C-TD 169g orange:
Flippy, anhyzers bombs. Turnovers.
-CFR-PD 168g orange:
Very flat and stable. Controlled drives with fade. Works well into the wind too.
-CFR-PD 175g yellow:
Extremely stable, but not a meathook. For high winds.
-C-PD2 175g, orange:
Meathook. :D Faster than the PD, so great for long controlled hyzer-bombs. A must have disc in high winds.
-E*-Star Destroyer 172g, yellow:
Long long looooong. Backbone disc for courses with distance.
E*-Star Destroyer 175g, orange:
Stabler than the yellow one. Looong hyzers and into the wind.

Been experimenting with some Star Teebirds, 172g. And so far theyre feeling pret-ty good. Less fade than the CFR-PD but more stable than the S-TD. When my technique gets better I believe theyre gonna play a major part in my bag.
Loop
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion