Backhand Anhyzer -vs- Forehand Hyzer

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Backhand Anhyzer -vs- Forehand Hyzer

Postby limonsock » Sun May 08, 2011 5:28 am

As an aside, what'shisname, it may be your elbow problems are based on your forehand form. You might want to try keeping your arm straighter to relieve the strain on your elbow.

I'm interested in whether anyone knows of any players to try and watch videos of who are particularly good at this (straight armed forehands). I similarly have a lot of elbow pain when I throw a forehand; and I know its from the amount I snap my elbow (similar to a full power tomahawk). Also if you know any good video links of these players that would be awesome!
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Postby JR » Sun May 08, 2011 11:38 am

I suppose you mean throughout the throw and not just at the hit straight arm unlike this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs

A straighter armed but still not totally version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYmg1pQeECM
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby limonsock » Sun May 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Awesome videos JR, thanks. (Im living in China at the moment where youtube is blocked, I have a program that lets me go on but only DL 300mb a day therefore I cant go searching every video for a good one; so these links were great!). These showed me I've got to focus more on my run up and putting my whole body (waist and shoulder) into the shot rather than focus on my elbow and wrist alone. I'm an ultimate player so this is what I'm used to doing! Both Jenkins and Bennet do snap their elbow but not with nearly as much force as I snap mine right now.
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Postby Sean40474 » Mon May 09, 2011 12:20 am

I'm in need of a form overhaul with my sidearm. More and more as I play I realize how much I really need a better flick. I think I'll start with putters for the time being, then work up to Buzzzs or something.

Any other pointers that folks have for training on proper form?
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JR » Mon May 09, 2011 2:05 am

Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby limonsock » Mon May 09, 2011 2:08 am

Sean40474 wrote:I'm in need of a form overhaul with my sidearm. More and more as I play I realize how much I really need a better flick. I think I'll start with putters for the time being, then work up to Buzzzs or something.

Any other pointers that folks have for training on proper form?

The only reason I know how to throw a flick in disc golf is from playing years of ultimate and catch with an ultrastar; this builds strength and consistency (muscle memory) in your wrist. Its also a great way to warm up your elbow for a round. You can just use your putter instead which will help you get more used to using that in a game.
Im not sure how good your flick is at the moment, but I've taught quite a few people to throw a flick with an ultrastar who had no previous experience, heres what I tell them:
(This is for short throws (about 30 feet playing catch) to work on form, strength, and understand how a forehand should feel coming from your wrist and off your finger.)
1. Grip: Make a peace sign with your index &middle fingers, put the inside rim of the disc on the outside of your middle finger. Put your thumb on top of the disc between where the lower finger knuckles are on the bottom of the disc.
2. To start I would recommend keeping your elbow next to your hip (dont move it away from your hip during the throw! All the power comes from your wrist for these short passes; act as if your arm is tied with a rope just above the elbow around your body.)
3. Put your forearm adjacent to your body, so that your whole arm is now at a 90 degree angle.
4 If you are throwing an ultrastar or another catch disc, let your wrist hang so that the disc is pointing at about 45 degrees toward the ground (these discs are very understable and will flip if you dont angle them down). If you are using a putter you want to hold the disc straight out from your arm, no angle (maybe a very slight up/anny angle if you are using an overstable putter).
5. Now flick your wrist; the disc should roll off of the outside tip of your middle finger.
If you have any issues with accuracy, adjust the angle of your wrist.
6. After you feel like you understand the wrist motion (about 10 throws usually), take your elbow off of your hip and try to emulate the wrist action of the previous throws; this will lead to you learning to put your whole arm into the throw.

I hope I'm not offending you by offering such a beginner explanation of how to throw a flick, I just don't know if you have any inkling of form whatsoever! I think this really helps to learn how a disc coming off of your finger and how the snap of your wrist are supposed to feel.
limonsock
Noob

Postby Sean40474 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:43 am

Thanks JR, that ought to help me get going.

limonsock, I'm not offended at all. I want to thank you also, it is nice hearing points of view for Ultimate players.

I'll just work with putters for now, so that I can make sure that I don't teach myself bad habits from the get go.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Mike C » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:50 am

limonsock offered good advice. The only thing I'd change up is I like to put my middle and index fingers right next to each other instead of making the peace sign grip.

I started out 100% backhand. I developed about 400' of distance and had a good anhyzer and turnover shot selection. Over the past half year I've been teaching myself forehand on the side and once I hit about 300' of distance I noticed I Started feeling pretty in control of it. These days I use my FH quite a bit.

I find there are a lot of situations where I can use a BH turnover or a FH hyzer, and it's nice to have that choice. Like others have pointed out, sometimes you're in a spot where you need a right turn but only a BH or only a FH is available. Sometimes you want a skip the FH offers, sometimes it's better to throw a turnover that comes out of the turn at the end, lands flat and stops.

I can say that learning a good FH was one of the best things for my game. It opened up a lot of new shots for me and made certain situations so much easier than they were before. I can hit all the right turning lines I need with a BH turnover if I really want for the most part, save odd woods shot where I have no room for a BH throw. But having the FH in my bag of shots has made tricky shots into no brainer, pick up my driver with my bag still on and casually toss a FH and park it type of shots. Learning both the anhyzer / turnover and FH hyzer will make anyone a better playing and most likely you'll enjoy the game more because you have more options at your disposal.

It's like you can play golf with just a putter and do pretty good, but the game is more fun with a variety of discs.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:43 pm

Mike C wrote:limonsock offered good advice. The only thing I'd change up is I like to put my middle and index fingers right next to each other instead of making the peace sign grip.

I started out 100% backhand. I developed about 400' of distance and had a good anhyzer and turnover shot selection. Over the past half year I've been teaching myself forehand on the side and once I hit about 300' of distance I noticed I Started feeling pretty in control of it. These days I use my FH quite a bit.

I find there are a lot of situations where I can use a BH turnover or a FH hyzer, and it's nice to have that choice. Like others have pointed out, sometimes you're in a spot where you need a right turn but only a BH or only a FH is available. Sometimes you want a skip the FH offers, sometimes it's better to throw a turnover that comes out of the turn at the end, lands flat and stops.

I can say that learning a good FH was one of the best things for my game. It opened up a lot of new shots for me and made certain situations so much easier than they were before. I can hit all the right turning lines I need with a BH turnover if I really want for the most part, save odd woods shot where I have no room for a BH throw. But having the FH in my bag of shots has made tricky shots into no brainer, pick up my driver with my bag still on and casually toss a FH and park it type of shots. Learning both the anhyzer / turnover and FH hyzer will make anyone a better playing and most likely you'll enjoy the game more because you have more options at your disposal.

It's like you can play golf with just a putter and do pretty good, but the game is more fun with a variety of discs.

What was your progression with discs when you started teaching yourself FH? Any particular practice routines or drills that you'd work on?

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Mike C » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:59 am

Sean40474 wrote:What was your progression with discs when you started teaching yourself FH? Any particular practice routines or drills that you'd work on?

Started with putters and neutral mids. Basically learned short approaches, then gradually pushed my distance out. Once I started to feel consistent with these I moved on to a fairway driver like the Stalker or Teebird and tried giving it more power. It took some getting used to but I just made a point to throw at least 5-10 FH shots every round I played and the experience added up.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Previous

Return to Technique