From the ground up

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

From the ground up

Postby TheOtherBill » Fri May 06, 2011 2:13 pm

4 years and no real significant distance improvement, I've decided that I don't want to play Rec anymore so re-tooling the swing.

Not a great video but I'm reaching 260-290 from a standstill just attempting Beato's right pec drill. Am I doing it correctly? I don't want to learn something new the wrong way then have to re-invent the wheel all over again.

I know my elbow is low already and working on it by using a higher reach-back. Any other glaring deficiencies?
TheOtherBill
Noob

Favorite Disc: champ Eagle

Re: From the ground up

Postby fanter » Fri May 06, 2011 2:21 pm

It's hard to tell from the camera angle, but it looks like you're opening your shoulders before you're pulling the disc towards the right pec, so your throw is happening out in front of the body. I was doing this for a long time because I wasn't actually initiating a "pull" with my arm. I improved my form by concentrating on punching my elbow out toward the target. You'll get some better advice from some of the more advanced guys on here, but I think they'll say something to the same effect.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JR » Sat May 07, 2011 2:45 pm

Technically i wouldn't call that a one step throw because you move you right leg just an inch. 290' ain't bad for a stand still. At that power feel free to add more steps to the throw and keep on taking videos of yourself to see how your form evolves. Please keep us posted and when you're comfortable sharing a new video with more steps please do. Before making the second video if i were you i'd test which goes the farthest for you with and without steps disc close to both pecs, close to left pec away from right pec (you now) and disc away from left pec close to right. If you wanna go wacky you can also try pulling far away from the body altogether to see the differences.

Your right leg position tilts you to the right which is great for anhyzers not so much for other release angles. The arm wasn't anhyzer so different body parts conflict. Reduced repeatability and accuracy is the result and if different body parts tire out at different pace you are even worse off. Getting the elbow farther forward leading the arm motion prior to straightening the elbow could help. I think your left leg might be just in the air at the hit. Which robs some power. You didn't twist the hips to the right of neutral which means you aren't generating all the power you could. Hips are the second largest power source after legs. You don't want to miss out on those. If you follow through smoother and farther it will also help in power generation by not having any resistance anywhere in the power generation phase.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby TheOtherBill » Mon May 09, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks JR, that's a lot of info...some I thought I had worked through already but bad habits affect my throw like a virus.

I really appreciate the input and will have more videos (hopefully with better technique) by the end of the week. Horrible time to re-invent the swing with 2 tournys a month for the next few months...
TheOtherBill
Noob

Favorite Disc: champ Eagle

Postby JR » Mon May 09, 2011 3:07 pm

Good luck with that. Sometimes you need to take a step back before you go forward. What am i saying? It's almost always no free lunch territory for me.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Mon May 09, 2011 3:34 pm

do you live in SC?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Return to Video Critique