Technique/Timing Drills: Filling in the Gaps

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Technique/Timing Drills: Filling in the Gaps

Postby Timko » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:
Furthur wrote:
Bradley Walker wrote:I forgot the Tree to Tree drill.

I practice that all the time. ;)

Please describe it.

I go to Rosedale Down Under, and hit a tree off of the tee. Then hit another tree. Repeat 65 times.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby El Guapo » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:08 pm

i think this post requires more props.... I just read the first post again and saw the quote from The Princess Bride. That calls for much respect!
Orcs, Firebirds, Stalkers, Rocs, Darts, Pigs, Wizard
El Guapo
Noob

Favorite Disc: pig

Postby Sean40474 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:19 pm

I don't know if this has been posted anywhere on here and I'm not sure I remember reading it anyplace either. I've found that drilling on spike hyzers has helped me accentuate the feeling of the hit and lend itself to creating more snap. I noticed it set me up for more arm extension which will lend itself to a greater feeling at the hit. One of the keys to this if you don’t get it right away is timing when to grip your disc tighter.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JR » Sat May 07, 2011 2:52 pm

Sean40474 wrote:I don't know if this has been posted anywhere on here and I'm not sure I remember reading it anyplace either. I've found that drilling on spike hyzers has helped me accentuate the feeling of the hit and lend itself to creating more snap. I noticed it set me up for more arm extension which will lend itself to a greater feeling at the hit. One of the keys to this if you don’t get it right away is timing when to grip your disc tighter.

Do you reach back high bringing the disc to the torso area the lowest and then raise the disc back up at the hit? The gravity helps in the downward part of the arm swing to accelerate and the direction change from high to down to back up makes the disc leave the palm with more force than on flat throws. Maybe that is why i've had the same results.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Sean40474 » Sun May 08, 2011 1:31 pm

I pull from a downward angle to 45+ degrees when I throw spike hyzers. I should try what you suggested and see if I can take advantage of that. Isn't that how Katch/Trey throws his discs so far?

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JR » Mon May 09, 2011 2:02 am

I'd like to see a good quality video zoomed in close enough for him to fill the screen to see what he does.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Dookville » Mon May 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Sean40474 wrote:I don't know if this has been posted anywhere on here and I'm not sure I remember reading it anyplace either. I've found that drilling on spike hyzers has helped me accentuate the feeling of the hit and lend itself to creating more snap. I noticed it set me up for more arm extension which will lend itself to a greater feeling at the hit. One of the keys to this if you don’t get it right away is timing when to grip your disc tighter.

I would love to hear an explanation on why this happens, I too have experienced this. I thought I was the only one and felt embarrased to bring it up. Thanks for posting it Sean, I'm gonna try during my field work today to isolate what is happening and relate it to my normal flat distance line. I have been thinking it through since you posted it and can't identify what it is.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby JR » Mon May 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Sean40474 wrote:I pull from a downward angle to 45+ degrees when I throw spike hyzers. I should try what you suggested and see if I can take advantage of that. Isn't that how Katch/Trey throws his discs so far?

I tried low reach back to medium and high hits and high reach back to low pendulum torso area to high hit spikes today with a 350 gram disc for finger strength training and the weight of the disc helps in feeling more tactile sensation in the throw. Because of the added momentum and added need to work thanks to the heavier weight. I don't have grip strength to spike hyzer it properly. Even less while trying to have any wrist motion.

I recently did my first bench presses in adulthood and it showed me how much i need to gain strength. I know players who can lift over double the amount i did. Albeit with 8" too wide grip apparently. Lucky i didn't hurt myself even though the shoulders certainly felt the effect of the too wide grip. No wonder i have trouble with holding on to the disc for proper disc pivot. It's not just the timing of the pinch. You could have the best timing in the world for no avail if you lack the necessary power.

Stiffer grippers for me tomorrow grr. And more other finger strength gym work too. Adding palm pressure and twisting the disc against the thumb didn't suffice either even though they helped.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Sean40474 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:17 pm

I can't believe I never thought about using a heavier disc for training. I used weights on bats and heavier footballs when I practiced those sports.

What disc are you throwing JR?.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Dookville » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Dookville wrote:

I would love to hear an explanation on why this happens, I too have experienced this. I thought I was the only one and felt embarrased to bring it up. Thanks for posting it Sean, I'm gonna try during my field work today to isolate what is happening and relate it to my normal flat distance line. I have been thinking it through since you posted it and can't identify what it is.

I found a couple of interesting things happening when throwing spike hyzers and feeling snap more readily.

1. Coming from a low arm position to a higher release creates more resistance on your grip by the disc.
2. My arm would carry forward further toward the target before the disc would have enough momentum to break free from my grip.

I tried slowing up the first part of my pull and accelrate right before the hit, which I extended out further than I usually do. I could feel a little more snap on my flat distance line, but will have to work at it a bit more, it kinda throws my timing off. Baby steps....
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby JR » Tue May 10, 2011 3:14 am

Dookville wrote:
Dookville wrote:

I found a couple of interesting things happening when throwing spike hyzers and feeling snap more readily.

1. Coming from a low arm position to a higher release creates more resistance on your grip by the disc.
2. My arm would carry forward further toward the target before the disc would have enough momentum to break free from my grip.

I tried slowing up the first part of my pull and accelrate right before the hit, which I extended out further than I usually do. I could feel a little more snap on my flat distance line, but will have to work at it a bit more, it kinda throws my timing off. Baby steps....

I get 1 too. 2. i didn't have the power to hold on to the 350 gram disc. And i've filmed myself not rally having pivots on a straight line pull with normal discs with a high speed camera. At the moment it seems likely that my arm injury is the limiting factor for me with the possible addition of lack of power. When i try to increase thumb pressure it hurts in the injured part and it is likely that approaching the hit the strain leads to automated weakening of the grip. That is subconscious protection of the arm. There's no way around it other than getting way more muscle mass and stronger tendons to absorb the shaking and not needing to tense up to dangerous levels according to automated self protection processes of the mind.

Sean Estonia switched currency and i had leftover coins so i put a package of Bostik Blu-Tak with tape on top of that to the bottom of the disc. Champ Wraith stabilized and i've never seen anything that hog stable. I think it takes under two seconds to go from flat to vertical and it starts early. I used this method so that i don't need to bore through the flight plate and attach something with screws, nuts and bolts. I've also tried weight discs designed for dumbbells with bars and locks.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Sean40474 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:44 am

Thanks JR, that sounds like a better method than what I had planned. Hopefully this will go a long way in increasing my grip strength.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby what'shisname » Tue May 10, 2011 8:48 am

This video is selling a product and is specific to pitchers in baseball, but the basics are very relevant for throwing plastic discs. It's a great video that illustrates timing in a way that text just can't fully do. Thanks to CatPredator in the Increasing Hip Rotation thread for pointing it out.

what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Sean40474 » Tue May 10, 2011 12:18 pm

For some reason I can't see what you're posting, do you have a link?

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby what'shisname » Tue May 10, 2011 12:28 pm

what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

PreviousNext

Return to Technique