Go with the FLOW

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Go with the FLOW

Postby khmer » Thu May 12, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey discspeed, I throw 167 and 170 gl flows. do the max weight (173-175) slice through head wind like a ninja? I'm entertaining getting a max weight to replace my 170.
Giant x2 - King x4 - Sword x2 - Villain - Saint x2 - Saint Pro - Fury - xXx - Warship x3 - Sinus - Pure x3
khmer
Noob

Postby Booter » Thu May 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Get an opto
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Apothecary » Thu May 12, 2011 7:19 pm

get a lighter opto if you go that route. light (170+- 2g) opto flows are similar to the gl youre throwing now. the heavier opto flows are a point or two more hss and lss than the gl.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby victorb » Thu May 12, 2011 7:27 pm

put the goldline flow I have back in the bag tonight, strictly for favorable wind max distance shots....holy cow this disc is easy to throw faaaaaaaaar.

Coldpunk will back me up when I say the shot on hole 18 on the back at Oakland is a crush when you get it 20' into the sand volleyball pit...First time I've thrown one up there in about 8 months probably. I think it's going to stay in the bag now, for max D shots. Learning that when it gets some turn in its flight, it WILL come back with height.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby fanter » Thu May 12, 2011 7:32 pm

Apothecary wrote:get a lighter opto if you go that route. light (170+- 2g) opto flows are similar to the gl youre throwing now. the heavier opto flows are a point or two more hss and lss than the gl.

Sounds like I could use a heavier Opto, then. My 172 GL needs some steep hyzer to fly straight. It still flies laughably far, but I'd like a bit more controllability out of it (and a bit more fade than I'm getting now.)
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby khmer » Thu May 12, 2011 7:33 pm

Apothecary wrote:get a lighter opto if you go that route. light (170+- 2g) opto flows are similar to the gl youre throwing now. the heavier opto flows are a point or two more hss and lss than the gl.

I would prefer to stay with gl b/c I love the glide. And I did just acquire a yellow 171 opto flow from the forum, should get it soon. I'm looking for a flow to withstand headwind (under 20 mph) just a little better than my 170 gl without have to reach for my 167 gl halo or 169 opto halo or the blitz, I love. I'll test it out and go from there and maybe it'll replace my 170 gl. Thanks for the input.
Giant x2 - King x4 - Sword x2 - Villain - Saint x2 - Saint Pro - Fury - xXx - Warship x3 - Sinus - Pure x3
khmer
Noob

Postby discspeed » Thu May 12, 2011 7:59 pm

khmer wrote:Hey discspeed, I throw 167 and 170 gl flows. do the max weight (173-175) slice through head wind like a ninja? I'm entertaining getting a max weight to replace my 170.

My 175 optos handle wind well. On shots under 400' I would trust it in up to 15mph headwinds, especially in the woods where there is some wind protection. Out in more open areas and when I'm throwing harder for max D I wouldn't really want to throw it into more than 10mph headwind, and even then I'm ripping it with hyzer. For as much glide as my Flows have, headwind does not kill their glide and distance like it does to other drivers with a lot of glide. I pull out my PD2s when the winds are really kicking for security, but often when I throw a 2nd shot throwing my opto Flow with hyzer I outdistance it.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby rehder » Fri May 13, 2011 12:58 am

Tried a friends GL Flows yesterday, and I must say "what a nice disc". Don't think it will make my bag, but only because I try not to change around very much.

Regarding the flow it seems like an easy to throw max D driver, it has decent speed while keeping a smaller rim than many other max d discs. At least it feels that way. so it would probably be easier to throw for most people. It also seemed pretty consistent in its flight.(flip up and over from hyper and fade back at the end) especially compared to the z nuke which I usually throw.
That being said I don't think it will do flat/hyzers very well unless the opto is more stable than the Gl
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Fri May 13, 2011 6:29 am

rehder wrote:That being said I don't think it will do flat/hyzers very well unless the opto is more stable than the Gl

The Optos are considerably more stable (especially LSS), so they work really well for flat shots and hyzers from a hyzer release. The GLs are max D bombers.
discspeed

Postby khmer » Fri May 13, 2011 7:50 am

Thanks! maybe the 171 opto flow will be paired with my blue 167 gl. I'll see how the opto performs.
khmer
Noob

Postby pottersmash » Tue May 24, 2011 7:24 pm

I had a 172 Blue Opto Flow and it was one of my favorite drivers. I was able to drive it super Low, Straight and Far. Unfortunately I lost it, so I just reordered the disc but this time as a 170 Yellow Opto.

It had a very soft fade if any. Like someone else said, if thrown nose up at all it would lose a ton of power, but nose down the disc absolutely screams. I might look into getting a 175 GL down the road.
pottersmash
Noob

Favorite Disc: Flow

Postby discspeed » Wed May 25, 2011 8:55 am

After throwing my new run Flow quite a bit I've decided that they pretty much suck compared to the early ones. It is a bit more stable in calm conditions, but doesn't take a headwind any better than my other Flows. It is also slower and seems to glide less. My other optos as well as my GLs always go farther.
discspeed

Postby bill » Wed May 25, 2011 8:58 am

discspeed wrote:After throwing my new run Flow quite a bit I've decided that they pretty much suck compared to the early ones. It is a bit more stable in calm conditions, but doesn't take a headwind any better than my other Flows. It is also slower and seems to glide less. My other optos as well as my GLs always go farther.

this is bad news.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Booter » Wed May 25, 2011 9:21 am

Yea ive heard this too as well as theyre notbas opaque. Im trying tobstock up on oldies but hard to trust online buying now. Hopefully its not all of the recent run that suck. I love mine.

After a short fling with my king,i think im goin back to my gl flow for a flippier flow. I wish they would make more fuckn colors though.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby Booter » Wed May 25, 2011 9:24 am

Mike ,whats the sucky flows u threw? Big dome,flat,moderate. Weight color etc. opaque or more clear?
always looking for:
Booter
Das Boot!

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment