Timing of the pull

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Timing of the pull

Postby cruz duck » Fri May 13, 2011 11:43 am

I often read that someone is starting their pull too soon. What is the best way for delaying the pull? I have always believed that one should pause at the end of their reachback until the front foot is planted. However, it struck me that there are several ways to delay your pull: 1) start your reachback at the same time, but pause at the end of the reachback, 2) start your reachback at the same time, but slow down your reach back or 3) start your reach back later in your x-step. Is there a preferred way to delay your pull? Or would all three could work, it just depends on the person?
cruz duck
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: kc roc

Re: Timing of the pull

Postby cruz duck » Fri May 13, 2011 2:43 pm

Hmm, after I wrote this, I think I figured out what Blake would say:

Work on the hammer drill. Then work back from the hit. Experiment with different timing on the reach back and pull. Determine which one allows you to preserve the feeling from the hammer drill and which adds the most power to the hammer drill.

I guess I better head back to the field and work on this.
cruz duck
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: kc roc

Postby emiller3 » Fri May 13, 2011 3:10 pm

Yep. That's the great thing about the hammer, towel, and pen drills, you can feel free to experiment and quickly self-diagnose.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Redisculous » Wed May 18, 2011 10:14 am

The bakhand hammer/right pec drill is the pull. If you are pulling before that, you are pulling too soon.

You should be able to get to the right pec position using practically no arm power.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby JR » Thu May 19, 2011 9:12 am

That is correct with a tiny difference for my anatomy at least and possibly my different to your nerve (arm surgery and injury remainders with resultant deviation from a healthy persons functioning) and arm muscle speed.

From reach back i do need to move the arm a few inches to get the disc to the right pec area. I'm not sure if that definition of where exactly that is is even solidified. I mean getting the front of the disc to the left side of the right pec already needs a little arm motion. And i'm mellow at that point for best D i can get. There are many Finns that pull as fast as they can from the plant= max reach back. Many of those guys throw farther than i do. I need to try out a trick Dave Feldberg taught at his clinic to see if my body could now take it after being three weeks out on sick leave and possibly change my timing and power. I'm not out of the woods yet so there will be time before i can train properly. First i gotta get well enough to survive work before i think of occasional rounds and field work comes long after that. Meh :-( The upside might be that getting possibly enough rest for the first time in years to let my legs heal enough i might be able to try out Daves trick on top of heel pivots. And i have Vibram Komodosports waiting to be tested. On carpet today for the first time they seemed to not obstruct my no speed heel pivot. From small beginnings...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby emiller3 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:22 am

It's still called the inward pull. "Pull" is a little misleading, because you're generating the pull from your hip and shoulder rotation and the muscles in your back, all the while leaving your arm fairly passive, like the guys mentioned. If you use a towel and go through your motion, it's so obvious how much power is sapped when you get too active with the arm too soon. I guess you could call it the inward guide, but that seems a little too abstract...it still feels like a pull even when your arm is passive.

I wouldn't call the right pec part of the throw a pull, or if I did, I'd probably call it an outward pull. But, it doesn't really feel anything like a pull. I think elbow extension, loft, apex, wrist extension, hit, snap, and follow through are terms that better convey better what's going on during the right pec drill. It's where your arm goes from passive to active, which is maybe what Redisculous is saying.

JR, those Finns may be pulling fast from max reach back, but I bet they aren't doing it with pure arm. I've started reaching/leaning way back and pulling very fast for max D and it's made a huge difference. But I still don't pull with my arm, it's weight shift, larger core muscles, and rotation doing the work. Weight shift is a big key in increasing your D once you've started snapping it, I've always just thought of it as helping nose down.

I'm not sure what you're getting at with the heel pivot discussion...
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby JR » Fri May 20, 2011 11:57 am

Those guys have written in Finnish Frisbee Associations site that they pull with the arm hard from the plant. My results have been different but i'm gonna return to Voigt type or even more extreme arm pull lines and see if that changes things. From stand stills i get huge wrist automatic snap even at less than full power. Lots to try and see.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Fri May 20, 2011 3:25 pm

The heel pivot thing is something i wanna transfer to once my bum ankle heals enough to handle it. That is measured to give more power than ball of the foot pivots i'm doing now.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Technique