Putting with a disc already in the chains

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putting with a disc already in the chains

Postby Itchy » Sun May 15, 2011 5:34 pm

I was playing with a local who's in the same league as me (he wanted to play for bag tags). I had made my putt and my disc was resting in the chains. I was on my way to clear the basket but he was already set up and in his pre-putt routine so I let him putt. He putted and had the disc spit out high and left. He said that since my disc was in the chains they couldn't catch his disc properly and he was allowed to reputt (said it was "tourney rules") after clearing my disc. I've reread through 803 and can't find the rule. Wondering if any of you guys knew anything about this?
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Re: Putting with a disc already in the chains

Postby Apothecary » Sun May 15, 2011 5:46 pm

dude is full of shit. shouldve made him cite that "rule."

if you were to throw an upshot and hit someones bag that was resting on the fairway, you would play the bag as a natural obstacle. if you were to ask the owner of said bag to move it, he would have to move it. because he didnt ask you to pull your disc, he was playing your disc as a natural obstacle and has no right to play games with putting rules.

see 803.07a:

803.07 Interference

A. A thrown disc that hits another player, spectator, or animal shall be played where it comes
to rest. A thrown disc that is intentionally deflected or was caught and moved shall be marked
as close as possible to the point of contact, as determined by a majority of the group or an
official. Alternatively, for intentional interference only, the thrower has the option of taking a re-throw. Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with the flight
or path of a disc could easily occur. The away player may require other players to mark their
lies or move their equipment before making a throw if the player believes that either could
interfere with his or her throw.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Billym » Sun May 15, 2011 11:08 pm

Wow what a chump! He owes you his tag.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby JHern » Mon May 16, 2011 12:49 am

Just think about how things would go if he was right. As soon as somebody putted, the next player could always quickly putt before the previous putter could clear their putter, and if they missed then they could have another opportunity to putt again. It would encourage some pretty bizarre behavior around the basket, eh?
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Working Stiff » Mon May 16, 2011 10:13 am

If you hang around long enough, you will hear it all.

This was years ago, but I was out and another guy was lining up his putt. I asked him if he was out, but he said no, that I was out. So I putted with him in his putting stance. I made the putt and started trotting up to get my disc when "BAM!" his disc crashed chains right in front of me and kicked out. The dude must have let go of his putt as soon as mine fell. He claimed that since I was moving while he was trying to putt he should get a do-over AND I should get strokes for unsportsmanlike conduct. We argued about it for a bit, then let him putt again as a provisional and said we would let the TD figure it out. By the end of the round it was clear that none of us were going to cash, and he said to forget about it.

The guy did do a fabulous job of getting in my head. He would stand there lined up to putt when I was putting, and after the blow up I couldn't concentrate on my putts. I was thinking about him and worried about freezing after I putted so I wouldn't have to deal with the bullshit. I putted like crap that day.
Last edited by Working Stiff on Mon May 16, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Apothecary » Mon May 16, 2011 10:17 am

cool story bro.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby Working Stiff » Mon May 16, 2011 10:21 am

Well, I shared a douchebag move you can use to piss off the other guys on your card. I thought you would have appreciated that.

Oh, right. You don't need any help being a douchebag. Sorry.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Apothecary » Mon May 16, 2011 10:41 am

lol at some schmuck getting in your head.

he swimmin laps in yer dome! :lol:

i find it amusing that you cant putt amidst distraction.

but come on. level with me. if you were playing on a card with a bunch of deaf mutes you still wouldnt be able to sink putts and/or cash huh? i heard you were about the most piss-poor golfer ever. why do you even compete? :lol:

if you spent half the time you spend talking about archaic plastic on the putting green or on the course, maybe youd be able to putt while someone was fucking with you. :P
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby Billym » Mon May 16, 2011 10:55 am

Working Stiff wrote:If you hang around long enough, you will hear it all.

This was years ago, but I was out and another guy was lining up his putt. I asked him if he was out, but he said no, that I was out. So I putted with him in his putting stance. I made the putt and started trotting up to get my disc when "BAM!" his disc crashed chains right in front of me and kicked out. The dude must have let go of his putt as soon as mine fell. He claimed that since I was moving while he was trying to putt he should get a do-over AND I should get strokes for unsportsmanlike conduct. We argued about it for a bit, then let him putt again as a provisional and said we would let the TD figure it out. By the end of the round it was clear that none of us were going to cash, and he said to forget about it.

The guy did do a fabulous job of getting in my head. He would stand there lined up to putt when I was putting, and after the blow up I couldn't concentrate on my putts. I was thinking about him and worried about freezing after I putted so I wouldn't have to deal with the bullshit. I putted like crap that day.

I have seen similar crap recently. I played in Auburn AMs last month and experienced really bad conduct around the pin. Folks would line up in other's field of view. One thing that happened to me that your story reminded me of was I was putting to save a rough par 3 and two players in my group had holed out and proceeded to stand on the next tee and have a very audible conversation. I asked them to be quiet,maybe they did shut up but I swear I could hear them whispering. While putting the next two holes all I could think of was their talking. Not sure if they did it purposely but it sure got in my head. I never really recovered that tourney.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Working Stiff » Mon May 16, 2011 11:13 am

Apothecary wrote:i heard you were about the most piss-poor golfer ever. why do you even compete? :lol:
Evidently I'm a good enough golfer to have an Internet stalker. :lol:
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Apothecary » Mon May 16, 2011 11:23 am

Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby Itchy » Mon May 16, 2011 2:42 pm

Yup, that's kind of what I thought. Thanks for the info folks.
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby hegemony » Thu May 26, 2011 6:20 am

Somewhat related topic. I've been told this is true, but I'm looking for confirmation.

I make my put and my disc is at rest in the chains. If I opt not to clear the basket, and leave the disc in the chains and someone else puts and it knocks my disc completely out of the basket, do I have to then re-put and add the appropriate number of strokes to my score?

What if I want to clear the basket, but am not allowed to do so by the player whose turn is next?
hegemony
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Apothecary » Thu May 26, 2011 6:51 am

once your disc has come to rest supported by (most parts of) the basket, youve holed out and it doesnt matter if your disc gets knocked out.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby Itchy » Thu May 26, 2011 3:31 pm

Funny story time. Last Tuesday at league we were playing random flip doubles and the "tourney rules" guy was on my card. I made my putt and he putted at the basket with my disc in the chains again and hit left for a spit out. I played dumb as fuck and said to him, "Tourney rules, right?" and he gave me a paniced look. Didn't take it any further with everyone else on card waiting; I think he got the hint. His teammate cleaned up the putt for him after I cleared my disc.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Rules Discussion