the bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: the bag

Postby zj1002 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:18 pm

11x Aviar
Yeti Pro Aviar
DX BB Aviar
S-P2
QMS
DX Sanny Roc flat top
S-Element X
E-Warrior
QJLS x2, new run and old flat champ
Star Eagle x2 beat and new
11x FB x2 beat and new
QOLF
Champ Glow Wraith - I throw this on big anny's/hyzers. anything that gives me room to BOOM
1st Run Star Xcal - not used much
Pro Destroyer

The Warrior and Element have really impressed me. The roc and QMS get more distance, but I really like the control on these discs. Point and shoot type of mids. I really like the warrior into headwinds. In the past I always had a hard time trusting discs in the gusty central texas winds. My home course always has winds and I find myself having to spend too much thought on if my P2/Roc will hold up or if I should just hyzer a firebird out there. The warrior gives me a solution to the problem because I can trust it in headwinds and I can be ok with it being 30ft short. Element was picked up as an under stable compliment. As I said last time, I was a die hard panther fan until my throw advanced to a point where the disc no longer fit my style. These discs give me the same feel in the hand and the performance I need. Still keeping a roc around because well...it is still my favorite mid.

I also got really fucking tired of the Yeti bouncing off the chains/pole. Even Jay somewhat admitted to me that he knows it happens because of the plastic. It is still my favorite jump putt disc because it so freaking straight. I figured out my putt(with help from Jay and a shit ton of practice) and the switch back to 11x hasn't been a let down. For now the Yeti will only be used at 35+. I use the 11x for anything inside 35ft and the DX BB is for approaches.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JR » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:59 am

APX out of normal shaped putters plus Ions are pretty straight i'd say straighter than the Yeti and glide more. Rattler out of the lids is very straight.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:07 pm

JR I really liked the Ion for jump putts but hated it for everything else

11x KC Pro Aviar x2(one is just a backup putter)
BB DX Aviar
SP2
Pro Rhyno
E-Warrior x2(176g, 182g)
S-Element
QMS
11x FB x2(1 beat, 1 new)
Star Eagle x2(1 straight, 1 stable)
QJLS(flat)
S-TD
QOLF
Champ Glow Wraith
Pro Destroyer
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby cfair » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:17 pm

I'm curious about QMS, Element, and Warrior. I really like my Rocs but will be testing out a sure fire wind fighter. How do those 3 stack up? Which is best in heavy wind?

Also I myself just started using BB Aviars. Out of my curiosity do you have a reason for using 11x?
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby zj1002 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:38 pm

QMS is for pure turnovers and long straight shots between 250-330ish feet. It excels at holding its line

The S-Element is for hyzer flips and low ceiling flat shots.

E-Warrior is for stable midrange shots out to 350ft. The warrior excels in the wind. It always finish with some fade. I compare it to a q-sent because I can snap hard and flat. It will fly straight, with a slight track to the right, and then finish left. Once it starts to fade, it usually has reached the end of its flight. It isn't a disc that is overstable for most of its flight. It is basically an Eagle-X in midrange form.

I carry 11x aviars because of the grip and feel in my hand. I have gone through just about every type of BB Aviar. For driving I prefer my aviars to have a slight dome to them(hence why I use the SP2 and DX BB). I generally don't like throwing putters with sunken flight plates. For putting I like a slight recession on top, tacky grip and firm rim. The 11x Aviar gives me all of that. If the Yeti's didn't bounce off chains, I would still be using them. My discs are all about feel. If a disc feels awesome in my hand I generally have more confidence in it. A lot of discs perform similar lines, especially if you have legit technique, but not every disc feels the same.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:36 am

11x KC Pro Aviar - main putter
DX BB Aviar x2 - 1 for jump putts and 1 for approaches
Yeti Pro Aviar - driver
Pro Rhyno - BH/FH approaches mainly

QMS
CMD2
DX Roc
4x Kenny Glow Roc

Pro Line Leopard x2
Star Eagle
11x FB
QOLF x2
Wraith
Star Xcal
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:36 pm

D-P2 x2 Putts and approaches - these are lazer straight throwers, need more
S-P2 - mainly drives off the box
DX BB Aviar - touch approaches inside 200ft.
Rhyno Champion - BH/FH approaches. flat and gummy $$$

QMS x2 - beat CE for turnovers, another for straight
DX Roc - a freakishly long DX roc used for any mid shot that needs to go past 330-350ft
Star Sanny Roc - straight with a bit o' fade
4x Kenny Glow - what else can you say but $$$

Champ Leopard
QPLS
11x Firebird
QOLF
Champ Glow Wraith x2
- one beat, one fresh
1st run Xcal

The D-P2 wasn't even supposed to be in my putter spot, I had bought a pair of them for approaches to replace my DX BB aviars. I got bored in the shop and started putting with them and the results were just too good for me. I will definitely pick some more up later. The D-P2 is a lazer straight driver, where the S-P2 has a bit of fade at the end. I am curious to see how long the D plastic holds up as a driving putter. I really want to try this mold in the C-line.
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:25 am

D-P2 x2
DX BB Aviar
Champion Rhyno
QMS x2
DX Roc
4x Kenny Glow Roc
Champ Glow roc winthrop #7
Champ Glow Leopard
QPLS x2
11x FB
QOLF
STD
Champ Glow Wraith
1R* Xcal

For those wondering why I carry 2 champ glow rocs. The 4x is actually fairly straight for me, with the fade only kicking in late. Throws a lot like a broken in Sanny Q-sent. The other champ glow roc is used for left turns/skips. It doesn't penetrate forward as fast as the 4x(which causes me to miss gaps if it flips up straight).

My Pro line leopard got beat up somehow despite the awesome plastic. Switch it up a 170g champ glow leopard. These champ glows leos are super nice and got used on about 1/3 of my tee shots out at circle c yesterday. I expected it to be more stable but found it very workable out of the box(it was a 10/10 I got in the used the bin).
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Booter » Tue May 24, 2011 11:27 am

yea my kenny is startin to get straight but its not bad. it still bitch slaps winds when i need a straight shot into a headwind
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby zj1002 » Tue May 24, 2011 11:39 am

the 4x can crush which was surprising when I started throwing it. and yeah it still holds up in the headwind despite the straightness. I will drift right but I have never seen it turn and burn like a dx roc
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Mon May 30, 2011 8:48 pm

weekly update

D-P2 x2 - 1 putt, 1 drive
DX BB Aviar - beat to shit approach disc
Champion Rhyno - gummy & flat, approaches BH/FH
Champion Cro
4x Kenny Roc
DX Roc
QMS x2 - opaque $$$ orange run. 1 beat, 1 new w/ sharp flash!
Champion Leopard x2 - 1 CE, 1 Champ Glow
QPLS x2 - one beat, one newish
11x FB
QOLF 1.2 x2 - one beat, one new
S-TD
1R* Xcal

Ok so a champion cro was sitting in the used bin when I got to work on Saturday. I had never thrown a Cro until the day I saw that one. I new the champs were CFR so I atleast set it aside to test it. Went to throw it in the field and was instantly impressed. This thing is about 7/10 and when snapped will drift right but won't burn and turn. I am not sure how stable a fresh cro actually is but I definitely want to get one to try out. The reason this disc made the bag was because of how it handles flex shots. I can put it on an anny angle and watch it pop down flat about 25% of the way and lock in straight with just a slight bit of fade at the end. I had been looking for something in between my 4x roc and QMS. I really like the small diameter and to me it feels like a taller panther(diameter wise). wish the champ run wasn't just CFR and I will definitely have to track down some first run stars now
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:34 pm

lots of putters lately but no more D-P2. back to BB's for everything. 6 putters is kinda crazy I must admit

11x KC Aviar - putting only
DX BB Aviar x3- 1 flippy, 1 straight(jump putts), 1 stable.
12x KC Aviar - BH/FH drives. nice grip for a 12x
3x JK Pro Aviar - touch approach putter because of its grip

4x Kenny Glow Roc - stable goodness
11x KC Pro Roc - soft run. flat and surprisingly long.
DX Roc - the longest roc I have ever thrown. this thing is a freak. can go over 400ft if height permits
QMS - annys or straight shots that need to lock into a line from the start

CE Leopard
QPLS
11x FB
QOLF x2
S-TD
E* Wraith
Champion Archon

Definitely some overlap with putters but each disc is for different purposes. I am sure they will weed themselves out over the next few weeks. Found myself rarely using the Xcal even in windy situations(QOLF is more reliable). Finally added a wraith back in the bag after I lost my champ glow. The archon is just a tester that I picked up cheap off the used bin. Decent disc and gets some easy distance but it overlaps with the QOLF/Wraith/STD so I am not sure it will stay in the bag. It just doesn't feel like a disc that I can "trust" if that makes sense. I like the flight path but can't bring myself to throw it during a round
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:42 pm

11x KC Aviar
DX BB Aviar x3
S-P2

4x Kenny Glow
11x KC Pro Roc - soft
DX Roc
QMS
Sanny Q-Sent

CE Leopard
QPLS
Star Whippet
11x FB
QOLFx2
QOLS
E*Wraith
1R Xcal
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:38 pm

10 or so days and my bag is basically still the same minus the whippet(added a fresh FB). that's an accomplishment for me
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby zj1002 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:39 am

lack of changes didnt last long. really just added some old favorites

11x KC Aviar
DX BB x2 - both flippy approach discs. slightly different lines
S-P2
Champion Rhyno - flat, gummy, and really hard to keep out the bag

4x Kenny Glow
DX Roc x2 both beat
QMS
Sanny Q-sent x2 - 1 new, 1 beat

CE Leopard
QPLS
EXP1 1.7 x2 - 1 new, 1 beat. eagle type shots longer than my polaris. more wind resistance
11x FB
SOLF 1.2
QOLF 1.1
E* Wraith
*Xcal 1st Run

found myself not really throwing the QOLS or STD unless I needed a roller or long lazer type shot. the 1.1 QOLF pretty much covers long straight shots over 400ft and I really don't throw any turnovers that go over 350ft which my Leopard and DX Roc's can cover. Also more apt to bust out a FH shot now that I have built that up. Been a gap in my bag ever since I dropped eagles because the star ones got inconsistent. Decided to add some nice EXP1s which havent been in the bag in a few months. Needed a stable hyzer flip type disc that can bridge the gap between the polaris and olf
zj1002
metroid cannon

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion