Throwing from Uphill Tee pads

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Throwing from Uphill Tee pads

Postby JR » Wed May 18, 2011 9:56 am

I coined that term to separate different types of disc slips. It is much easier to feel the disc slip way early to the left with little power. Although at first earlier in my development i didn't even notice that much of the time. Other than from the poor direction. Once you recognize that feel it's easy to feel that.

Another kind of slip that holds me firmly in the half hitting domain is a slip where the disc flies in the direction of the arm pull but still slips out of the fingers before the disc has a chance of pivoting the full range from palm to palm ejection to full pivot around the thumb lock. That is the index finger and the thumb pinching the disc after the disc has forced the other fingers straight. This lack of disc pivot is what i call a micro slip. It is a step in the right direction from the nooby early release syndrome and one can throw distance lines in no wind with speed 13 discs at sea level to over 400'. Considering Blake wrote recently that he thinks that 450' is about the tops of half hitting with current discs it is easy to see why i'm in the half hit domain.

I first noticed micro slips from high speed camera footage of myself throwing. I still don't feel the lack of disc pivot as such. Rather it's the other way around. The rare times when i do get disc pivots they are easy to feel. Not having that feel tells that boo there i went again. Stopping the wrist may be another issue and i suck at that. I've been thinking that i may seriously need to drill stand still right pec a lot more with reach back far away from the body to close to the right pec elbow first throw. That maximizes my wrist snap speed the best and is automated. The best out of all the variations i've tried so far. YMMV. And this is just the best way i know there may be better forms out there.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Sean40474 » Wed May 18, 2011 10:42 am

I see now, thanks for the insight. I believe this what I'm going through when you say the lack of disc pivot. I feel that I get that when I'm getting discs over 450'. I'm wondering if it is because my timing is off that I'm not getting disc pivot :think:

I'm really starting to get the timing down of the grip and when it feels solid it feels like it is ripping off my middle finger mostly and part of my index finger. Maybe it is just that my fingers are getting stronger and it is still ripping from the same fingers as opposed to getting proper disc pivot.

There are other things that I need to work on still, but I'm concerned about how the disc is ejecting from my fingers. I sense this will be a limiting factor once I get others things in place and my timing more in sync.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Dookville » Wed May 18, 2011 2:25 pm

Not clear on the micro slip concept. I do get you on pre shot routine though. I have a few segments to mine, and I'm sure they vary from person to person. Mine has changed as I continue to work on different parts of my game, but once on the course in competition I rarely install a work in progress, especially on preshot routine.

Walk the pad spotting my line and final shoulder position.
While at the end of the pad I give one slow pull though with expected angle of release.
Back at start I check my grip while taking a look at the target and start the runup.

The only thing I think about in the runup is keeping a loose grip into the reach back and pulling through smooth pniching harder at the chest and holding the line as far out as I can before the hit. It happens quick.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby JR » Thu May 19, 2011 9:02 am

Can anyone remember the top down pictures of stick man arms and discs describing the arm pull? Where are they could someone please give a link for Dookville? That should help in explaining the disc pivot in pictorial form. Also check out the picture Bradley_Walker posted somewhere maybe snap 2009 thread. That has a good explanation. And you can go to Youtube to watch his videos of the Fling at channel citysmasher1

Sean since J-La can throw to 500' with line drives with middle finger rips i think he gets at least some disc pivot. He's beefy and works out seriously. For realz. So based on that it might be finger strength or it might be timing that is holding you back. But who knows maybe there are some little tweaks left for body positions too that could help.

I just watched a vid i filmed at Helsinki, Finland clinic of Dave Feldberg from last summer. I can't release that because it was the condition of being able to film. Dave said that there is one difference between 100 meter and 170 meter throwers. It wasn't in the first Champion's Way DVD and i haven't heard of the second one being released yet. I also don't want to take bread off of his plate so i won't tell what he said it is. I wouldn't wonder if he taught it in all the national tour clinics last year. It's something i haven't yet incorporated in my throw because of health issues. So i couldn't give personal experience based advice anyway. If you're interested you should go to his clinics. It's always good to see what different top pros do and why.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby black udder » Thu May 19, 2011 12:58 pm

I follow Mark's advice - slower, focus my attention on staying balanced (weight forward) and wrist for release angle - so I'm not nose up.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby Sean40474 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:02 pm

JR wrote:Can anyone remember the top down pictures of stick man arms and discs describing the arm pull? Where are they could someone please give a link for Dookville? That should help in explaining the disc pivot in pictorial form. Also check out the picture Bradley_Walker posted somewhere maybe snap 2009 thread. That has a good explanation. And you can go to Youtube to watch his videos of the Fling at channel citysmasher1

Sean since J-La can throw to 500' with line drives with middle finger rips i think he gets at least some disc pivot. He's beefy and works out seriously. For realz. So based on that it might be finger strength or it might be timing that is holding you back. But who knows maybe there are some little tweaks left for body positions too that could help.

I just watched a vid i filmed at Helsinki, Finland clinic of Dave Feldberg from last summer. I can't release that because it was the condition of being able to film. Dave said that there is one difference between 100 meter and 170 meter throwers. It wasn't in the first Champion's Way DVD and i haven't heard of the second one being released yet. I also don't want to take bread off of his plate so i won't tell what he said it is. I wouldn't wonder if he taught it in all the national tour clinics last year. It's something i haven't yet incorporated in my throw because of health issues. So i couldn't give personal experience based advice anyway. If you're interested you should go to his clinics. It's always good to see what different top pros do and why.

I'm not that beefy, but I do hit the gym. You're killing me on the thing that Feldy said. When he was here in '09 he gave several clinics over the week or so that he was here. I missed all of them :cry: This was just a few months after I started playing too, so I'm sure I wouldn't have made sense of it. I do remember him telling some of us during practice before the rounds started that he could teach people to throw 450' within a very short time if they didn't already have bad habits. I also heard someone mention that he could take a brand new person and show them how to throw a DX Shark 350' within a month. He obviously knows something and I would do almost anything for that nugget of knowledge.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Dookville » Thu May 19, 2011 5:30 pm

JR wrote:Can anyone remember the top down pictures of stick man arms and discs describing the arm pull? Where are they could someone please give a link for Dookville? That should help in explaining the disc pivot in pictorial form. Also check out the picture Bradley_Walker posted somewhere maybe snap 2009 thread. That has a good explanation. And you can go to Youtube to watch his videos of the Fling at channel citysmasher1

The stickman overhead can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19220&start=90

It's the Incomplete Secret Technique thread.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby JR » Fri May 20, 2011 11:50 am

Sean check out Feldy at the PDGA site to see where he's at and try to go to some event where he holds a clinic. Those probably fill up quickly so you should check the organizers ahead of time. Dave is from Oregon so that maybe the shortest way to go for you when he's there. IIRC you're from AK. Dave mentioned that totally new players in his class at UO outthrow almost every thrower that's played before within a short period. Don't recall the exact amount of months but am leaning toward 3.

I'd like to practice to see what kind of differences if any i'd get from incorporating his trick into my throws. I've not done that before. That way i'd be able to at least say what my initial results would be. It's just that i've got a few other form changes to practice so who knows how much my form morphs really. I think my form will go to pieces first because there are so many things i have had luck with doing stand still focusing on individual bits and pieces. I have four ideas i'm gonna try out once i can throw.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Sean40474 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:08 pm

I'll have to check that out JR, it kills me that I missed it when he was here. I'll do some searching and see where he'll be, maybe I can hook up at BST....I doubt I'll be able to make it though.

Blake?....Beato?.....you guys know what Feldy is talking about?

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Previous

Return to Technique