Yes
69%
Yes
31%

Total votes : 111

Re: Gorilla Boy Disc Sports

Postby emiller3 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:14 am

Thanks for the clarification, Chris.

Frank, I put a floating frame without dividers in my Chimp and the PVC never moved around. My problem was that the frame would push up against the putter pocket and only allow me to fit one disc in the putter pocket, or risk warping the second one. I'm guessing that the Silverback and Kong don't have that problem with that extra pocket behind the outside putter pocket.

In the end I decided to cut 1" PVC and get some 1/2" (or 3/4", I can't remember) end caps in my Chimp. The pipe slides over the end caps to stay in place, and now all my discs sit flat all the way up to the edge of the frame, and I can fit an additional disc in there because I cut the PVC pipes a little long. I used the existing holes in the corrugated plastic for my end caps.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon May 09, 2011 8:46 pm

emiller3 wrote:Thanks for the clarification, Chris.

Frank, I put a floating frame without dividers in my Chimp and the PVC never moved around. My problem was that the frame would push up against the putter pocket and only allow me to fit one disc in the putter pocket, or risk warping the second one. I'm guessing that the Silverback and Kong don't have that problem with that extra pocket behind the outside putter pocket.

In the end I decided to cut 1" PVC and get some 1/2" (or 3/4", I can't remember) end caps in my Chimp. The pipe slides over the end caps to stay in place, and now all my discs sit flat all the way up to the edge of the frame, and I can fit an additional disc in there because I cut the PVC pipes a little long. I used the existing holes in the corrugated plastic for my end caps.

I like this solution. I have a Chimp as well and have noticed the end discs sit up on the end cap. Not a problem really, I just love how the new Kong pipes don't have that end cap.

emiller, any chance you could show a pic of what you did? I'm not sure I'm picturing it correctly. Thanks!
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby emiller3 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:28 am

I bought four 3/4" threaded PVC plugs, I think they were $.60 each:

I cut two 1" PVC pipes to 8.25" and slid them over the plugs. I think I could have cut them to 8.5", but it probably wouldn't have made a difference. I believe the PVC pipe was $1.80:

I also bought 2 s-clips for $1.25 each at Home Depot that hang on the front, they are better than carabiners for quickly accessing my stool:

I can now fit 15 discs in the main compartment even with full pockets, and they all sit flat:
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Steady 26542 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Sweet!! Thanks for posting the pics!
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:36 am

The new Kong uses 2" PVC pipes and they are free floating, meaning there isn't any need for those end plugs. The discs sit on top of the 2" pipes which causes the pipes to push out toward the front and back of the bag. Very simple and it works well. The 2" pipes also keeps the discs off the bottom of the bag. I'm getting some 2" pipes to see how that works on my Chimp. I'll report back later.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby emiller3 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:57 am

I tried that. It will limit your putter pocket to one disc unless you want to warp them. I warped a DX Roc that way, because the free floating pipes will push against the back of your putter pocket. The Kong and Silverback have that behind-the-putter pocket, which I assume keeps the pipes from pushing on the putters (although I wonder if you fill that pocket up if it would push against those.)

And if you're gonna do it, I wouldn't do 2" pipes, the discs will sit very high. 1.5" is better. Remember that the new Kongs/Silverbacks are an inch taller.
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Postby gorillaboy » Thu May 12, 2011 6:07 pm

steady: I do not use 2" pipe on the new frame, I use 1 1/2" pipe
gorillaboy
King of the Jungle

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:10 pm

I pickup up a "Sink tailpiece inlet 1.5 inch pipe" from Lowes. It's very light and sturdy and seems to work very well. I cut it to 8.5" and it fit in my Chimp with no stretching. It keeps the discs off the ground and I can easily fit both of my Omega SS's in the putter pocket. My Chimp is coming up on three years old so it's possible that the putter pocket has opened up a bit. I love this bag!!
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby ratmloud » Thu May 19, 2011 6:48 am

I have a squirrel monkey now and love it But thinking going up a little in size so I may be ordering up a second bag.

I want the Sliverback, but I deff. want the LE features. Does the LE silverback only come in that white graffiti fabric?
ratmloud
Noob

Favorite Disc: lat 64 river

Postby Jaysus » Thu May 19, 2011 7:14 am

The latest versions of the Sliverback include most of the LE features... that being said, get the LE Silverback - it is dope!
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Thu May 19, 2011 8:22 am

What be said. Though green is rather keen.

I'm really happy this thread isn't a "What order # are you on" thread like the one on DGCR.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby swel304 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Just wanted to add my praise for GB. Just got a squirrel monkey and after a few rounds I could be happier with it. Lost a zipper pull already after just two rounds but other than that it seems to be a really solid bag and exactly what I was looking for. Keep up the great work!
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Steady 26542 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:13 am

Jaysus wrote:The latest versions of the Sliverback include most of the LE features... that being said, get the LE Silverback - it is dope!

I've got one coming! 8) I can hardly wait.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Mike C » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:16 am

I'm considering getting the Silverback, but I had a question. The store mentions a 6 week wait but the individual page for the bag says there are 2 in stock. If I want the latest model does the wait time apply?
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby mattw » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:55 am

Mike C wrote:I'm considering getting the Silverback, but I had a question. The store mentions a 6 week wait but the individual page for the bag says there are 2 in stock. If I want the latest model does the wait time apply?

The wait time does apply. When the website say that they have a bag in stock it means the parts are cut and ready to be put together. The bags are well worth the wait.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment