Distance Throwing

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Distance Throwing

Postby masterbanger » Sat May 14, 2011 9:18 pm

I once threw 300 yards with a beast and a nice tail wind :)
masterbanger
Noob

Favorite Disc: shark

Postby masterbeato » Mon May 16, 2011 11:03 pm

the faster the wind speed, the more you have torque on it to get it to pull nose down at the peak height, and turn over at about a 90 degree angle. the faster the wind speed, the more it will tend to pan out at the end, but the real key is to torque it to make sure that it pulls nose down and turn over and tower down, but also make sure it does not start panning out early. you also do not want it to over turn by torquing too much, but that also robs distance as well as you would most likely know anyways.

torque it more than you think to prevent it from stalling out, but make sure you give it the same height etc.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Trey133 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:39 am

@dan beto - I've never thrown over 470 but I'm finding it less and less necessary to do so. I definitely agree with you that distance is a functional tool, but the bag you carry those tools in is your mind game.

Learn to be confident, consistent, and safe. Play humble, boring golf. Your scores will improve.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Sean40474 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:15 pm

over 800'? nice Dan!

I'm just figuring out how to throw farther this year. Something changed about 3 weeks ago and I'm consistently throwing in the 430' range with the occasional throw over 450'. I did break my previous best last night at about 480'. I'm trying to figure out a drill to get my hip into it more as I think that'll help me accentuate the hit and get that 500’ throw. I guess I’m half hitting it based on what Blake says in the distance range that I’m throwing…it sure doesn’t feel like it though. There is quite a sound when the discs ejects from my fingers, but it isn’t a snapping or popping sound. I’m not sure how to describe the sound other than it sounds like it is ripping from my fingers. Is this normal or should something else be going on? My girlfriend says that she hears a sound like my shoulder is popping out of joint or something.

I know there is more distance to be had as I'm becoming more body aware and feeling the disc in my fingers throughout the pull. I'm trying to work out some timing issues to make the hit stronger. There are times I feel it really well, and then my timing is off somewhere else and I F the shot up. I know I’m close to getting the timing down…I just need to figure out drills to practice over and over. Then it is just a matter of controlling it when I need it and having some semblance of accuracy while on the course.

I’ve tried playing in the wind to get more distance, but that just messes me up as you have to throw differently. I’m really just trying to get max D w/o the help of wind on flat land. This also means that I haven’t been playing with radical distance lines. I’m not sure I’m ready for that as I still have plenty of other work to do.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby masterbeato » Tue May 17, 2011 6:09 pm

Trey133 wrote:@dan beto - I've never thrown over 470 but I'm finding it less and less necessary to do so. I definitely agree with you that distance is a functional tool, but the bag you carry those tools in is your mind game.

Learn to be confident, consistent, and safe. Play humble, boring golf. Your scores will improve.

i agree as well, but this thread was about distance throwing so i answered his question on the subject.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby masterbeato » Tue May 17, 2011 6:16 pm

Sean40474 wrote:over 800'? nice Dan!

I'm just figuring out how to throw farther this year. Something changed about 3 weeks ago and I'm consistently throwing in the 430' range with the occasional throw over 450'. I did break my previous best last night at about 480'. I'm trying to figure out a drill to get my hip into it more as I think that'll help me accentuate the hit and get that 500’ throw. I guess I’m half hitting it based on what Blake says in the distance range that I’m throwing…it sure doesn’t feel like it though. There is quite a sound when the discs ejects from my fingers, but it isn’t a snapping or popping sound. I’m not sure how to describe the sound other than it sounds like it is ripping from my fingers. Is this normal or should something else be going on? My girlfriend says that she hears a sound like my shoulder is popping out of joint or something.

I know there is more distance to be had as I'm becoming more body aware and feeling the disc in my fingers throughout the pull. I'm trying to work out some timing issues to make the hit stronger. There are times I feel it really well, and then my timing is off somewhere else and I F the shot up. I know I’m close to getting the timing down…I just need to figure out drills to practice over and over. Then it is just a matter of controlling it when I need it and having some semblance of accuracy while on the course.

I’ve tried playing in the wind to get more distance, but that just messes me up as you have to throw differently. I’m really just trying to get max D w/o the help of wind on flat land. This also means that I haven’t been playing with radical distance lines. I’m not sure I’m ready for that as I still have plenty of other work to do.

Thank Sean, and I would agree with Blake but it depends on when you talked to him about it, things could have changed but it depends on what you are throwing and how consistently you are throwing those distances. Half hitters are strange because it seems like they are hitting all of it, but the velocity is weaker.

in the bold lettering: that sound is not an indication of snap at all, it is just how your fingers are oriented into the grip on the rim of the disc, or it could be an indication of a slip throw as well.

couple questions...what discs are you throwing that far? how fast is your launch speed? and what line are you taking? (line drive golf D (low, high), distance line (low, high).
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby Sean40474 » Wed May 18, 2011 1:59 am

masterbeato wrote:
Sean40474 wrote:over 800'? nice Dan!

Thank Sean, and I would agree with Blake but it depends on when you talked to him about it, things could have changed but it depends on what you are throwing and how consistently you are throwing those distances. Half hitters are strange because it seems like they are hitting all of it, but the velocity is weaker.

in the bold lettering: that sound is not an indication of snap at all, it is just how your fingers are oriented into the grip on the rim of the disc, or it could be an indication of a slip throw as well.

couple questions...what discs are you throwing that far? how fast is your launch speed? and what line are you taking? (line drive golf D (low, high), distance line (low, high).

I'm throwing in the 430s pretty often to say that is my average long distance throws. The velocity of the discs coming out seems pretty fast, but I have NO idea what speed they're launching. The slip throw you mentioned is something that crossed my mind as well. I've heard of people throwing much further than me or in my range that don't make much of a sound. I'm not sure what that is all about or what I have to change in my grip.

The discs I'm throwing range from 165 to 170 and they're Pro Bosses and ESP Nukes. I've gotten my S and P PDs out in that range several times as well. The Boss and Nuke have been my favorites for sure, especially now that I've gotten used to the rim width. I'm throwing these distances line drive about 10' or 15' off the ground. I haven't experimented with distance lines at all.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Whiz » Wed May 18, 2011 3:25 am

From what I have read you are probably not half-hitting if you are throwing 430 with nukes/bosses.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby JR » Wed May 18, 2011 7:35 am

That is still in the half hitting domain. Blake wrote that about 450' is the tops in his opinion with current discs for half hitting.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Sean40474 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:55 am

Half hitting is only a lack of timing in the major parts of the throw? I tried doing a search to see if I could find the tidbits of what Blake states about this, haven't been successful.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JR » Wed May 18, 2011 9:44 am

I can't speak from personal experience of putting everything together in a full force throw. I think Blake has written a long time ago that the timing is the most crucial component to full hitting. Not in those words though. Once you have body positions down most improvement should come from timing adjustments. And probably mostly working from the hit bacf.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby masterbeato » Wed May 18, 2011 3:00 pm

half hitters lack "finish force". they extend their wrist and accelerate but their timing in the "out-motion" is off. their timing is O.K., but not perfect. that is what i have gathered, i can not say for sure i might have hit half of it while learning how to throw with a full hit but i only know what it is like to throw with no snap, and whats its like to throw with big snap.

i know for certain that they lack finish power.

i am certain that you, throwing nukes and bosses (high speed stuff) that far it is half hitting it. if you were full hitting it they would be going 450'+ every single time, maybe even 480'+. 430' power with orcs, starfires, teebirds, eagles etc. thats "hitting" it.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby JR » Thu May 19, 2011 8:49 am

Guess occasionally hitting training ground fence with s-curves at just under 450' doesn't count. :roll: That is twice with wind assistance never without. S-curves without wind still hit the fence fairly often but that's because of skips from hard surface and the fact that Nukes skip well left forward.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby masterbeato » Thu May 19, 2011 11:18 pm

if you hit the line, connect the power, and have a true hit everytime, there is nothing stopping you from hitting 450' everytime. or exceeding!
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby JR » Fri May 20, 2011 11:21 am

Life just got more complex. The hardest stand still automated wrist snap with and without a disc i've had is from reach back far away from the body and not that far back to disc close to the right pec elbow lead to way right of normal straight line pull. The arm and disc wind up to the right of the right the right pec before the body turns toward the target. If one were pulling in a straight line close to the left pec too i'd dissect myself with the disc throwing this way. The wrist flies violently fast to the right from straight without any need or trying to stop the wrist from breaking back. Or any active wrist opening. I don't even dare to try to add active wrist turn right of neutral because everything happens fast already and the wrist flies to the limits of flexibility and i mostly fail at stopping the wrist. IIRC Blake injured himself allowing the wrist to flap far. I would probably have pains or possibly injuries from doing this if i weren't very flexible. Adding run ups and x steps might prove dangerous. Aiming would be complicated.

I've reviewed many Finnish players running to the left with flat shots probably compensating for the left to right arm motion. Recommending to use straight line pulls and run up directions for accuracy over this added power. For wide open balls to the walls this is great other than the other reason why i recommend against this. Twisting yourself into a knot creating added strains to the body.

I've had some progress during throwing hiatus AKA sick leave. More hand squeeze power. Now i'm closer to closing an RB 130 gripper and do close RB 100 that is 100 pounds of pressure created from the other fingers than the thumb and the palm.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Technique