Current distance record

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Current distance record

Postby Smyith » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:52 pm

i haven't heard anything in awhile about a new distance record. last i knew it was just over 800ft with a valkyire. i figure with all these new drivers there has to have been a new record by now. anyone know what it is and with what disc?
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:11 am

still 820 with a valk, one of two throws ever recorded to break 800. (the other was a tee bird or a valk.

All this new plastic can be easier distance on a golf shot, but they arent capable of flying 820. Because these discs have a higher cruise speed once the disc drops past that speed it begins to fade or flex, while most the distance in any throw, especially a distance throw is in the turn not the fade. slower drivers such as valks , xs ,teebirds ect are slower meaing they will have more hang time before entering the fade, meaning they have a chance to be longer.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:24 pm

Actually, as Blake said, when distance throwing with a hyzer-flip method, they angle the throw in relation to the wind to catch during the fade, 10% of the distance in the throws comes from fade, and possibly more if the wind catches it. So the difference between 820 and 780 is the distance it gets in the fade.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:39 pm

alright, i can see that, but still throwing high speed drivers for distance competition isnt logical, the disc needs to get enough turn so the angle of fade carries it forward not perpendicular. The high speed drivers fade harder, not further. I could see a record set by a pro orc, or mabey even a pro beast, but none of the champ stuff, or anything more hss.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Weebl » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:46 pm

I agree, the new drivers are better for golf distance for most people, If I have the choice though, I try not to cary discs in Champ/Z plastic for that very reason. Excluding my Champ Firebird, and Champ TeeBird which both save my ass in the wind...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Mar 15, 2006 7:48 am

i generally perfer x or dx plastic for my control and max d driver. However flashes and light champ valks are really fighting with my x avenger for my max d slot. Most holes are within my make range and if not, the added d of the x avenger usally isnt enough to get me in there for the bird.

But my control drivers will always be base plastic. Although I do carry one in z plastic for fairway long wind and skip shots.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Blake_T » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:38 pm

99% of the faster discs are too fast to hold a turn say... 700'.

they are easier to make fly 500+, but only a handful are capable of really taking a legit run at the record. the pro orc, dx orc, z spectra, dx wraith, etc. show promise in that department, but nothing else really in champ/z/star.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed May 10, 2006 10:22 am

Blake_T wrote:but only a handful are capable of really taking a legit run at the record. the pro orc, dx orc, z spectra, dx wraith, etc. show promise in that department, but nothing else really in champ/z/star.

What about some of the newer high speed discs like: tee rexs or surges?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed May 10, 2006 10:32 am

i would geuss surge would be around the wraith, it does seem to have a less harsh fade.

the teerex, i bet thats a big no, quite a bit too low speed stable. the reason pro orcs and others are on the list is that alittle beat in they loose a bit of low speed fade.

how about x avengers ;-) ?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Fritz » Wed May 10, 2006 1:23 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:i would geuss surge would be around the wraith, it does seem to have a less harsh fade.

the teerex, i bet thats a big no, quite a bit too low speed stable. the reason pro orcs and others are on the list is that alittle beat in they loose a bit of low speed fade.

how about x avengers ;-) ?

Disc: Speed, Glide, Turn, Fade

Teerex - 11 5 0 4

Wraith - 11 5 -1 3

I think the DX Wraith has the best chance to beat the DX Valk.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby jase » Wed May 10, 2006 7:14 pm

I haven't thrown a wraith yet. I can't find them around here. I hear they are awesome discs, I really want one.
jase
Noob

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu May 11, 2006 9:57 am

How is the dx wraith working out for you? So far my pro wraith is longer..probably because it is well worn.

Are y'all finding the dx to be longer?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Dx Wraith

Postby Denver Discer » Thu May 11, 2006 9:23 pm

My DX Wraith is flying longer than my pro wraith currently. I only throw pro or DX the others are too much for me.

Peace
Scott
Denver Discer
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Thu May 11, 2006 10:56 pm

By far my longest drive was with a Leopard... :shock: Out in a feild messing around with flight paths and cranked it with around 40 degrees of hyzer up to the left, got about 50' of height and turned over for the next 350'-400', when it actually started fading 'left' (progressed past the point of flat) it was only 10' above the ground and didn't get much distance in the fade. If it was 20' higher i would have gotten, im guessing here, 50' more on this. I'm trying to recall how far it was but it was farther than 500', less than 550'. I wish I had a videa or something to show me what I did perfectly, so I would be able to practice that shot.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Fri May 12, 2006 8:01 am

While leopards are slow by today's standards, they have very good glide.

I don't get consistent long distance with them, but once in awhile I'll get the eternal glide that will put it 80-100' further than the norm.

I typically roll leopards more than throw them. They are the most controllable rollers out there. (Dx Teebirds aren't bad either).
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Next

Return to General Discussion