What should go into my bag?

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What should go into my bag?

Postby Dbuntu » Sat May 21, 2011 9:44 pm

Hello, I'm new to disc golf and looking for some critiques to my bag. I tend to throw in the 250-300ft range though occasionally I'll get a good rip on a disc and push it out past 300. I've been told by other guys on the course that I've got nice form, but they aren't pro players so that's probably got a grain of salt with it. I typically play two courses and they couldn't be more different. One is almost entirely under 500ft and the other is almost entirely over 500ft. Ideally my bag could play both courses without a lot of switching out. Not sure what other info you might need. I throw typically LHBH with a single step, but with discs like the Comet I can throw LHFH just as well. When I go out to play I like to get in a lot of holes [Friday I played 60] I also have a football field in my neighborhood where I set up some cones and practice with all my discs so I can get an idea what discs I like for what kind of throws.
So I'll list what I've got and put in the weights/plastics if I know them.

Drivers:
Avenger SS
Mirus [premiere edition] This is the disc I can sometimes push past 300 with, but it gets squirrelly too so I only use it on big open drives
*JLS
Valkyrie [I think it's champion plastic] My first disc; a friend's old driver after he decide he liked a Beast better

Fairways:
*175g Comet elite X [pretty sure this is actually a touch heavier than 175, but that's what it calls itself]
Viper

Mids:
170 Kite
174 Cobra
180 Shark [new]
*180 Shark [beat] use this for hammer throws or any throw where I'm going throw thick trees/bushes
171 KC Pro Roc
*2 Elite Z Buzzz's; I liked my first one so I bought a backup in case I put one into a lake or something.

Putters:
*174g Pro-D Challenger
*Omega Super Soft

*My most confident discs. If I was limited to only a handful, these are the ones I'd pick.

Thanks in advance for your input.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Re: What should go into my bag?

Postby Apothecary » Sat May 21, 2011 9:50 pm

holy crap youre in need of a good widdle.

take that A-ss (understable driver) and your jls ("overstable" driver) and learn to get them out to at least 300'.

then pick a mid. i dont care which one...just pick one. learn to shape lines with it out to 200-250'. do the same with a putter out to 200'.

do this (in remembrance of me), and you will become a solid intermediate player and will be ready for the next step in the Apoth Process.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Dbuntu » Sat May 21, 2011 10:25 pm

That was quick.
For clarification I don't take all of these with me every time I play. I take a couple of the drivers, a mid or two and a putter. I just listed everything I had in case there was any interest in what was on hand.
Already taking your advice on my mids. I use the Buzz almost exclusively. Keep the beat Shark around for ugly hammers and hardly touch the others. Bought the Roc today since everyone speaks so highly of them I thought I'd give one a try.
Thanks a lot. I'll be out at least a few days this week trying to push my drives a bit longer as distance is my weakest point at the moment.
Dbuntu
Noob

Postby Apothecary » Sat May 21, 2011 10:27 pm

so you got your mid.

what are you doing with your putter game?
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby Dbuntu » Sat May 21, 2011 10:38 pm

Mostly using the Omega on anything around 100 or shorter. Farther out than that I tend to just use my buzz and try to park it as close to the pin as I can. Obviously need practice at actually hitting the chains, but that's just an issue of playing more I think.
Dbuntu
Noob

Postby Apothecary » Sat May 21, 2011 10:57 pm

shouldnt really be using your mid for anything inside of 200'. your omega will be money for inside 30...but thats about it.

ill give you advice it would take your garden variety noob 10 years to learn: pick up an ion and learn how to drive it. youll never look back.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion