Technique/Timing Drills: Filling in the Gaps

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Technique/Timing Drills: Filling in the Gaps

Postby Sean40474 » Tue May 10, 2011 4:48 pm

Thanks man, now the vid is showing up in your original post....not sure what that is all about. That vid sure does give you a lot to think about. I'm going to have to reanalyze my video and watch others for comparison.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby jaboc83 » Tue May 10, 2011 9:31 pm

wow, great video. The rocket stage separation bit got me thinking about my form. (currently hitting around 440 with my surge.) I stepped through my drive and noticed my hips and shoulders rotate simultaneously. So, I tried again this time pausing the shoulders a bit and bam! It felt like my hand came through twice as fast. I can't wait to fire a few in the field now. Thanks for bringing up the video, because it might have just busted me through another plateau! I'll report back with any miracles. :)
jaboc83
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby mikewra » Sat May 14, 2011 3:18 pm

what'shisname, I cannot thank you enough for your post! It completely changed how I conceptualized and then performed the right pec drill. I start thinking it through sequentially from the right foot (or right hip if standing still). And the momentum flows up the body, each new sequence/body part of the turn adds more momentum. The break through idea was to let momentum from the shoulders carry the right arm across my chest while I passively bent the elbow to 90 degrees. The right arm has to cross your chest automatically due to the momentum, no effort on my part needed. Just bend the elbow to keep the disc close to the chest. Once at the right pec, then I could engage and explode the right arm into a chop.

The results were an effortless and fluid automatic gain of 20+ yards to the drill. And I think I felt "snap" for the very first time. At least it felt like my forearm tendons/muscles were being plucked by a guitar pic.

Prior to your post, I thought of myself more as a spinning top than a series of fluid motions separated by split seconds all building on one another.
The Bag= Brick, Soft Wizard, Buzzz ESP, Buzzz SS, Cobra, Wraith, Roadrunner, Valkyrie
mikewra
2011 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby mark12b » Sun May 15, 2011 6:49 pm

mikewra wrote:what'shisname, I cannot thank you enough for your post! It completely changed how I conceptualized and then performed the right pec drill. I start thinking it through sequentially from the right foot (or right hip if standing still). And the momentum flows up the body, each new sequence/body part of the turn adds more momentum. The break through idea was to let momentum from the shoulders carry the right arm across my chest while I passively bent the elbow to 90 degrees. The right arm has to cross your chest automatically due to the momentum, no effort on my part needed. Just bend the elbow to keep the disc close to the chest. Once at the right pec, then I could engage and explode the right arm into a chop.

This is exactly what happened with me in the past few days. Thinking about the Lincecum analysis + chillaxed arm + hammer pound = some new insights for me about how the throw goes together. Pretty exciting stuff. I haven't really seen a distance increase yet, but this way of throwing gave me the confidence to stand-and-deliver off the tee all weekend in tourney play. Worked awesome, mostly (there were other issues, but still...). For me the hardest thing right now is trusting that the body pivot will pull the disc into place -- when the throw goes bad it's because I've tensed the arm or wrist too early.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Sean40474 » Mon May 16, 2011 4:30 pm

Anybody know what kind of distance Nikko was getting during the time this video was filmed?

http://www.discgolfreview.com/resources/analysis/nikkolocastro.shtml

It appears that he doesn't throw like this anymore, but this style looks something like how Katch throws.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby jaboc83 » Tue May 17, 2011 12:50 pm

jaboc83 wrote:wow, great video. The rocket stage separation bit got me thinking about my form. (currently hitting around 440 with my surge.) I stepped through my drive and noticed my hips and shoulders rotate simultaneously. So, I tried again this time pausing the shoulders a bit and bam! It felt like my hand came through twice as fast. I can't wait to fire a few in the field now. Thanks for bringing up the video, because it might have just busted me through another plateau! I'll report back with any miracles. :)

An update on this. I finally got an opportunity to hit the field with this new nugget of knowledge and I'm proud to say that It was the missing piece of the puzzle for me. I crushed a Teebird today on a perfectly flat line drive out to 450' for the first time. The hip/shoulder isolation must have been just enough to fix my timing as I REALLY felt the weight of the disc and the hammer pound feeling today.
jaboc83
Noob

Postby JR » Wed May 18, 2011 7:37 am

That is kick ass if wind wasn't assisting so congratulations!!! Videos :-D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jaboc83 » Sun May 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Thanks! I've only managed 450 like twice, but I can hit 420-430 pretty consistently. Once I get it consistently out there I'll try to get a video up :) one thing that sucks is that I haven't been able to get any more distance out of my faster drivers. Can't seem to get that same snap out of the larger rims.
jaboc83
Noob

Postby fanter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:15 pm

The one bit of that video that seems unfit is turning the hips before the plant. When I do that, I lose my accuracy. Plant -> turn has always yielded better accuracy and feeling for me.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby rhatton2 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:25 am

old thread bump - but I followed the link to the somax homepage and they had a video for golf including separation drills that look completely applicable to disc golf - http://www.swing-speed.com/index.php video at the top of the page.
rhatton2
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Roc

Previous

Return to Technique