2011 PDGA Pro World Championships: Monterey Bay, California

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2011 PDGA Pro World Championships: Monterey Bay, California

Postby JHern » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:17 pm

The 2011 Pro Worlds is scheduled for August 7-13, 2011 in Monterey Bay, California (Santa Cruz, Watsonville, and Monterey). This year, Pro Worlds will feature 432 competitors from around the world, with 200 volunteers and course marshals plus a staff of 35. Four courses will be utilized (DeLaveaga, Pinto Lake, CSUMB-Oaks, and Ryan Ranch), with competitors playing one 27-hole round per day at each course (Tuesday-Friday). Semi-finals will be held Saturday morning at both DeLaveaga and Pinto Lake. The finals will be held on Saturday afternoon at Pinto Lake, and the awards ceremony will immediately follow at Pinto Lake.

The 2011 Pro Worlds website (2011proworlds.com) is now up and running, with information regarding events, schedules, lodging, and other useful information being added all the time. Please let us know if you experience any problems with the website, or if there is anything in particular you'd like to see posted on the website that isn't already available.

We need 200 volunteers. Click here to sign up. Those who join us will become an essential part of one of the best volunteer corps ever assembled in the sport of disc golf. To ensure the highest quality and level of commitment, each volunteer is being asked to invest $60 when they sign on (a modest investment that will be recovered many times over). Volunteers will be treated like gold. Also, a special volunteer barbecue and tournament will be held on Sunday, 14 August. Many touring pros will be on hand to serve the volunteers as a way of expressing their gratitude for their service during the tournament. As a tradition, TDs in Monterey Bay are famous for assembling some of the finest swag bags imaginable, and at 2011 Worlds we're pulling out all the stops for the assembly of an epic volunteer bag.

We also need sponsors to help support this event. Our sponsorship plans each offer an excellent way to advertise to all participants and spectators. We have four sponsorship plans available (click an option for more information): Par Sponsor: $250, Birdie Sponsor: $1500, Eagle Sponsor: $10,000, and Ace Sponsor: $25,000. Click here for further information and a complete list of sponsorship plans.

Feel free to post any questions or suggestions regarding 2011 Worlds in this thread, I will be checking back regularly.

We look forward to seeing you in August!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: 2011 PDGA Pro World Championships: Monterey Bay, Califor

Postby JHern » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Invitation letters to compete in the 2011 Pro Worlds went out today, March 15th, to about 1000 PDGA pro players in all divisions. These players will have 30 days to exercise their option to register, March 15 - April 14.

Registration for Worlds will then open up to all registered PDGA PROS on April 15 through May 14. If you are currently registered as a pro but did not qualify through last year's point system, this is the time to get registered. Please do not wait if you want a spot.

We strongly believe this tournament will fill up and encourage all pros to register prior to May 14th.

On May 15th, registration will be open to all players, pro or amateur, currently registered with the PDGA. Registration will officially cut off on July 22nd unless it fills up sooner, which we think it will prior to May 14th.

In the past, tournaments on the West coast have filled up in a couple of hours, such as the Beaver State Fling. We are already getting numerous requests to be put on a "wait list" based on the assumption that this Worlds will fill up during the pro registration period.

The list of invitees can be found in the following PDF document:

http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/201 ... etical.pdf
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby geoblime » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:05 pm

Is there going to be a list of players who have registered off the initial invitees list? Or how many spots are available before April 15? Cant' wait to drive to a worlds near my house ...stoked!!!
geoblime
Noob

Favorite Disc: roc

Postby JHern » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 pm

I'm sure we'll know how many took advantage of the early registration period, and will be able to report it widely. After the first period ends, however, the event could fill very rapidly, so it is best to be prepared to take advantage of your first opportunity to register. Lake Casitas' annual tournament filled up in just 10 minutes after registration was opened to the public.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby JHern » Thu May 19, 2011 12:10 am

2011 Pro Worlds is full.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Apothecary » Thu May 19, 2011 4:39 am

you have to pay...to volunteer? :\
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Timko » Thu May 19, 2011 6:24 am

And the dEfending champion is on the wait list.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Booter » Thu May 19, 2011 7:53 am

Yea thats the dumbest shit ive ever heard. Emac should of had a reserved spot
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Booter » Thu May 19, 2011 7:56 am

Whats with all the ma1 & ma2 players being allowed to play at pro worlds?? Pretty dumb too considering the defending champ has to wait because of local ams wanting to play.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby BLURR » Thu May 19, 2011 10:28 am

And this is why there should be a minimum player rating to be able to play in Pro Worlds.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JHern » Sat May 21, 2011 1:01 am

Booter wrote:Whats with all the ma1 & ma2 players being allowed to play at pro worlds?? Pretty dumb too considering the defending champ has to wait because of local ams wanting to play.

That's a bunch of BS. The touring pros (including Emac) who got invites had a gold-plated invitation slot that was open for an entire 2 months. They knew way in advance of that that they would have it available, and when it would be available. So they sit on their asses. And they sit on their asses. We told them over and over and over again to get registered before it was opened to Ams. You have no idea the kind of shaking of trees that was done to get their attention. Snail mail. E-mail. Phone calls. Posting on FB walls. Bugging friends to bug them. You name it. There is no excuse for ignorance on this one.

Then some of them wait until AFTER registration opens up for Ams to try and jump in and totally clog up everything. Then complain that Ams are allowed in, and try to bully them back out so they can get in from way down the wait list. If they'd just have registered when they had their red carpet period open just for them, then there would be no Ams at all playing in 2011 Pro Worlds. And its very telling that they only started to complain about the Am registration period after registration opened for everybody and they were caught with their pants down. Some of these guys think they deserve more royal treatment than Kenny Climo, or Nate Doss, or Nikko Locastro, or Avery Jenkins, etc., etc., who all registered when it was time for them to register.

Seriously guys, if you don't know how bad some of these MPOs procrastinate with registration, hang around a while longer. Maybe TD a big tournament, they'll have you pulling your hair out and gouging out your eyes, and swearing that next time you're going to do advance registration only, and let PDGA handle it all online.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Peot » Sun May 22, 2011 7:26 pm

No, it's definitely dumb. If disc golf is to be thought of as legitimate in any fashion, what basically amounts to the practice of fans playing instead of established pros should never even be a remote possibility at its biggest tournament.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Mon May 23, 2011 11:33 pm

Peot wrote:No, it's definitely dumb. If disc golf is to be thought of as legitimate in any fashion, what basically amounts to the practice of fans playing instead of established pros should never even be a remote possibility at its biggest tournament.

To me, that's what makes disc golf special. The sport hasn't segregated and become exclusive, its still inclusive. Perhaps you prefer a sport with big walls and glass and security separating the players and the fans. I don't. Many of the top players in disc golf are my buds, we all share the same passion...

If you invite somebody to come to an event, and they ignore it, then what are you supposed to do? You can invite some others who are dying to be there. And they are going to essentially donate their entry fee to the top players in the sport, thus supporting them in the best way possible. Why stop them?

Everybody playing in 2011 Pro Worlds really wants to play 2011 Pro Worlds. I can't say the same for any of the rest.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby geoblime » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:04 pm

I completely agree with JHern. Everyone else complaining about this are just whiners. Registration was open to all invitees for over a month before I was allowed to register and I've been a Pro for quite a while. I had to wait. I didn't get a gold plated invitation to enter. But when the time came that I could enter, I was on it immediately!!! If you want to play, you make the effort--plain and simple. This isn't a C tier. We're talking about the World Champs in which everybody wants to play. Why is it people from Japan, Europe, Australia, etc. could find the time to reg.? People just complain when it's full instead of making the effort. And if the current World Champ felt above everyone else and it wasn't important to him to reg., then why should he be allowed in? He does deserves the right to defend his title but also needs to respect the process and the other players who obviously wanted to play more. I know he finally was registered but he passed up multiple people who took the time to get on the waiting list ahead of him.

On the note about Ams--how does everybody think the sport or the open division is going to grow if you make it an exclusive club in which open players have priority and ams aren't allowed to compete? How is that promoting people to move up if you're always saying "here's our scraps ams". It's either a an Open only tourney or everyone has the right to register. Amateurs have always been allowed and encouraged to play open tourneys so why would the World Champs be any different? There were a lot of warnings about when the registration was going to be opened to anyone willing to pony up the $220 and any "pro" left outside looking in has only themselves to complain about.
geoblime
Noob

Postby geoblime » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:07 pm

Wow, didn't see those posts were almost a month old. Probably no one will respond but my two cents anyways :)
geoblime
Noob

Next

Return to Tournaments