What do you see?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: What do you see?

Postby swel304 » Mon May 23, 2011 8:23 pm

if you mean wrist down like this then yes thats how i throw.
i guess i just think of it more as straight with the top of my arm down the thumb than being bent towards the ground. are you saying to bend it further than the wrist down position?
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby JR » Tue May 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Depends. For a wide rimmed disc thrown at less than head height you do need to push down far. For a putter thrown high a little nose up may even be desirable if you want to have a fading finish. So you want to vary the amount of the wrist angle according to the throw. High max D lines with drivers as much nose down angle as you can generate.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby swel304 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:38 am

still fighting with nose down. For the most part I am still averaging 20ft short of where I was hitting when I made the OP, but the accuracy has improved a lot and I am hitting my lines more often. I feel like my snap has developed enough that I COULD break this plateau, but the nose down issue seems to be very difficult to tame for me. If I throw 10 drives on a 306ft flat hole with little or no wind the putters will be around 200ft (250 on a good day), mids around 250-275, and drivers 275-300. I can manage to "get hold of" maybe two of the ten (drivers or meteor), and these will go 320-360 but typically way right of my target. On a bad day every driver and mid will land in an almost perfect line with varying amounts of fade.

I can break the 320 mark more often with certain discs like a beat dx wraith or a sidewinder, but they dont feel reliable enough in accuracy for me to use in a scored round. Here is what I have been throwing for reference. Am I wrong to think that I am not carrying any mold that is considered particularly nose angle sensitive?

175 dx valk beat- pretty much my main distance driver
169 dx viking newish- moderate wind or more stable line sub for the valk
175 polaris ls 1.13 moderately beat - control/dead straight/utility
175 polaris ls 1.13 newish - wind resistant control driver
150 dx leopard - mostly for limited movement drives/long upshots but I use it for lots of utility shots
x buzzz - for what a buzzz doezzz
esp hornet - heavy wind, short straight shots with hard fade, big hyzer
esp meteor 169 - long upshots, crazy hyzer flips, this disc does all kinds of fun things
s glow wizard - putt driver, light putting duty
sss magic - main putter
150 dx aviar - more understable craftiness

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:38 am

None of those discs are nose sensitive compared to speed 13 drivers. Your fastest discs fly a little differently with nose up but the effect won't be as large or score increasing as with the big boys. For future power and form increases i would suggest training nose down in the filed with big boy discs every now and then. They are still useful for flicks on the course and possibly in headwind situations too at least for going to the left.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby swel304 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:06 am

i do have about 7 wraiths and various other 10+ drivers in my practice bag I just dont carry them for rounds. I picked up a medium weight vulcan this weekend just to mess around with and it seems like it should beat into a long one for me pretty quickly but who knows, and rims that wide are pretty uncomfortable for me. I was suprised at how well I was throwing the vulcan because of the rim size, but that is not to say it was going any further for me than my valks. When it is hot/humid I have a hard time getting up to speed on10+ with anything but dx plastic, which beats so quickly on the 10+ molds that it is hard to keep track of how one is throwing from round to round.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:21 pm

Vulcan belongs to the latest breed low HSS late flexing fast hard fade discs that have lower power requirement than discs made before 2011.The long anny staying may compensate for the uncomfortable feeling of the wide wing of the Vulcan. Wraith does show nose up problems well vs a flat throw or a nose down throw.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby swel304 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:38 am

JR wrote:You're in for a treat :-) You should definitely push the wrist down so that the disc is aligned or about with the forearm bones only on a lower plane. When the wrist moves from cocked back to neutral the bones of the wrist raise the hand. If you hyper spin that is move the hand right of neutral just before the rip and push down then the bones aren't in the way and it's easier for muscle power and flexibility constraints to get the wrist down.

It only took my like 3 months to really catch on to this idea but it is finally starting to come together. Granted the weather was pretty nice this week and that makes a big difference for me, but I have thrown some of my longest legit drives ever in my last three rounds. It seemed really uncomfortable at first but it slowly worked its way in and the results are finally starting to show. Going to hit the field hard over the next few weeks and see if I can finally work one of the faster discs into the regular bag. Maybe I will remember to take some new video this time.. :roll:

Thanks again for all the help JR.

swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:54 pm

No problem other than only if i could pull it off well too... For whatever reason i found that it is easiest for me to get the front of the disc lower than the rear with putters. Maybe it has something to do with my finger length and lack of leverage.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Video Critique