NERD ALERT - new PC built

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: NERD ALERT - new PC built

Postby jubuttib » Fri May 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:this was my first build ever and it was a learning process and adventure but it booted up first try :) ..........and started putting out no signal a day later lol, ended up having to reset the CMOS jumpers and its been tits ever since, been running RIFT with max settings at a solid 60 fps, if i set it down to ultra i get like 110 lol


Good on ya Jesse! Self building gives you an appreciation of your rig and an advantage at diagnosing your system. It's fun too!
Aye, it's the only way to know what's going on in your rig.

And now that you've done it once you can do it in a couple of hours next time. =)
Last edited by jubuttib on Sun May 22, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5445
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: NERD ALERT - new PC built

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat May 21, 2011 7:27 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:this was my first build ever and it was a learning process and adventure but it booted up first try :) ..........and started putting out no signal a day later lol, ended up having to reset the CMOS jumpers and its been tits ever since, been running RIFT with max settings at a solid 60 fps, if i set it down to ultra i get like 110 lol


Good on ya Jesse! Self building gives you an appreciation of your rig and an advantage at diagnosing your system. It's fun too!
Aye, it's the only way to know what's going on in your rig.

And now that you've done it once you can do it in a couple of hours next time. =)[/quote]
for me its also been a good way to never trust my rig :( went through a shit ton of trouble shooting and stressing this week (including exchanging my new monitor) all to find out i had gotten a bunk HDMI cable with the new monitor :oops: if i hadnt built it myself id have suspected the cord like 20 minutes into troubleshooting.....but instead i spent 3 days looking at everything else under the sun that could have been wrong :roll: i was starting to think i had fried my GPU ram, durrrrrrrr
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: NERD ALERT - new PC built

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat May 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Also, The Witcher 2 is AMAZING so far
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: NERD ALERT - new PC built

Postby jubuttib » Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 pm

So yeah, the processor, mobo and memory arrived today, and after slightly worrying because Windows wouldn't boot up (decided to try upgrading without reinstalling Windows, just for shits and giggles) I found out that the mobo has AHCI mode on as default and my old setup had IDE mode. Short trip to the BIOS later everything is working very nicely.

A happy camper with i7-2600K, 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 and Radeon HD 6870 OC.

Now I only have to get a new cooler (the stock one is POOR) and I'm pretty much set.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5445
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: NERD ALERT - new PC built

Postby Apothecary » Tue May 24, 2011 8:22 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:for me its also been a good way to never trust my rig :( went through a shit ton of trouble shooting and stressing this week (including exchanging my new monitor) all to find out i had gotten a bunk HDMI cable with the new monitor :oops: if i hadnt built it myself id have suspected the cord like 20 minutes into troubleshooting.....but instead i spent 3 days looking at everything else under the sun that could have been wrong :roll: i was starting to think i had fried my GPU ram, durrrrrrrr


christ. that would have been the last thing i checked too. ive never encountered external cable problems and i imagine theyre pretty rare (though there are a crap ton of really cheaply made hdmi cables. trips me out that there are $100 USD short hdmi cables that do the same job as the $10 USD cables. i guess what you pay for is their reliability....)

thank you for reminding me to check the cheapest solution possible before i get too in-depth when i encounter comp probs in the future. :)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus
User avatar
 
Posts: 1554
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:35 am
Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Re: NERD ALERT - new PC built

Postby Jesse B 707 » Sat May 28, 2011 12:32 am

Apothecary wrote:
Jesse B 707 wrote:for me its also been a good way to never trust my rig :( went through a shit ton of trouble shooting and stressing this week (including exchanging my new monitor) all to find out i had gotten a bunk HDMI cable with the new monitor :oops: if i hadnt built it myself id have suspected the cord like 20 minutes into troubleshooting.....but instead i spent 3 days looking at everything else under the sun that could have been wrong :roll: i was starting to think i had fried my GPU ram, durrrrrrrr


christ. that would have been the last thing i checked too. ive never encountered external cable problems and i imagine theyre pretty rare (though there are a crap ton of really cheaply made hdmi cables. trips me out that there are $100 USD short hdmi cables that do the same job as the $10 USD cables. i guess what you pay for is their reliability....)

thank you for reminding me to check the cheapest solution possible before i get too in-depth when i encounter comp probs in the future. :)

lol, definitely the first time ive had a cable be bunk out of the box......fuckin Dynex, it would only fuck up real bad under load for the most part so it really lead me to think i had fried something, i tried to shit talk my way in to a stupid expensive cable for all my troubles when i returned it at best buy but they werent havin it :evil:
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron