I'm Wordgie and I'm a newb....

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: I'm Wordgie and I'm a newb....

Postby keltik » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:37 am

the JLS and the XL tend to behave similarly in my experience. both are underrated molds.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Wordgie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:18 pm

Took the XL on its maiden voyage this afternoon. Good disc. Still showed bad form, but it was a little more forgiving than the Valk. I managed to hit some good form with the Valk and got some good flights. Having troubles with my release so it flew straight, flat, low....and WAYYYY wide right.

XL's a keeper...definately.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby Ironhide » Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:30 pm

Hmmm... now I'm curious how an DX XL would work for me... Dang you for making me buy more discs! :lol:
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Postby swel304 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:01 pm

Wordgie wrote:Took the XL on its maiden voyage this afternoon. Good disc. Still showed bad form, but it was a little more forgiving than the Valk. I managed to hit some good form with the Valk and got some good flights. Having troubles with my release so it flew straight, flat, low....and WAYYYY wide right.

if you really want to see where your form is hurting, practice driving your putter, or a 150 class xl. That said, don't get too caught up in trying every mold. It's not the arrow, it's the indian. :wink:

Ironhide wrote:Hmmm... now I'm curious how an DX XL would work for me... Dang you for making me buy more discs! :lol:

Your esp flx xl's are likely way more overstable than any other plastics. I'm sure there are tons of threads on this but I would say if your bh is less than 300 you probably shouldnt be carrying any premium plastic discs, particularly heavy ones. Not only is it easier to work a dx with less power it also teaches you how a mold will break in so you will be better prepared to purchase premium plastic when you are ready for it.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Ironhide » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:24 pm

swel304 wrote:
Wordgie wrote:Took the XL on its maiden voyage this afternoon. Good disc. Still showed bad form, but it was a little more forgiving than the Valk. I managed to hit some good form with the Valk and got some good flights. Having troubles with my release so it flew straight, flat, low....and WAYYYY wide right.

if you really want to see where your form is hurting, practice driving your putter, or a 150 class xl. That said, don't get too caught up in trying every mold. It's not the arrow, it's the indian. :wink:

Ironhide wrote:Hmmm... now I'm curious how an DX XL would work for me... Dang you for making me buy more discs! :lol:

Your esp flx xl's are likely way more overstable than any other plastics. I'm sure there are tons of threads on this but I would say if your bh is less than 300 you probably shouldnt be carrying any premium plastic discs, particularly heavy ones. Not only is it easier to work a dx with less power it also teaches you how a mold will break in so you will be better prepared to purchase premium plastic when you are ready for it.

Ya, I got to excited and got a few premium plastics that I'm not ready for, so I'm hanging on to 2 of them cause there's a few times I can get them to fly right, but not consistently. And now I'm an all DX bag except a Star TL. I went to GGGT today and they said that a Beast would be a good feed back disc for me. So looking forward to seeing how that bad boy flies.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Postby Wordgie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:25 pm

swel304 wrote:

There are two holes, 1 and 9, on the course I play that are perfect for practice. They're both dead on shots, 200+ feet away with no deadly obstacles. When the players aren't stacking up, I'll thorw disc after disc concentrating on form. The big problem I can't seem to shake is too much hyzer. When I really concentrate and think step by step, I can get it down but the arm speed and distance suffer. I'm hoping to get out Sunday afternoon and if so I may copy the Beto video where he throws from standing, then one step then finally X-Step and fine tune the arm movements each time.

I threw the Aviar from the tee box a few times. Yeah, I need a heavier one.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby swel304 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:49 pm

It may not work for everyone but for me practicing D goes way better in a field where there are no baskets, obstacles, or elevations to skew my results or get me frustrated.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby money 21 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:07 am

Wordgie wrote:
swel304 wrote:

There are two holes, 1 and 9, on the course I play that are perfect for practice. They're both dead on shots, 200+ feet away with no deadly obstacles. When the players aren't stacking up, I'll thorw disc after disc concentrating on form. The big problem I can't seem to shake is too much hyzer. When I really concentrate and think step by step, I can get it down but the arm speed and distance suffer. I'm hoping to get out Sunday afternoon and if so I may copy the Beto video where he throws from standing, then one step then finally X-Step and fine tune the arm movements each time.

I threw the Aviar from the tee box a few times. Yeah, I need a heavier one.

Form is more important then distance when you are beginning. if you keep working the corect form it will become more natal and then you will be able to speed up and get the distance. one of the main things to watc in the beto video is how close to his chest he keeps the discs that will really help you hit the lines you want.

I would pick up a couple more valk and xls in d plastic and go to a field and throw a bunch working on form and not caringabout distance.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Wordgie » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:34 pm

I was finally able to hit the course yesterday. I played 3 rounds, concentrating on arm movement more than foot work and distance. I got some great throws in with the Valk really coming around for me and the XL being extremely consistent. By the end of the second round the distance was coming around for me.

I had the place to myself and camped out at the first tee for a while just throwing. I got the Valk really dancing and even threw it past the basket a couple of times. I had the XL and Buzzz coming within 15'-20' of the basket for some prospective birdie shots. For shits and giggles, I pulled out the Nuke. Very humbling and it went back in the Jeep. I also tried out some forehand shots while I was at it. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Thanks for everyone's input and support!
Wordgie
Noob

Postby Ironhide » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:33 am

Wordgie wrote:I was finally able to hit the course yesterday. I played 3 rounds, concentrating on arm movement more than foot work and distance. I got some great throws in with the Valk really coming around for me and the XL being extremely consistent. By the end of the second round the distance was coming around for me.

I had the place to myself and camped out at the first tee for a while just throwing. I got the Valk really dancing and even threw it past the basket a couple of times. I had the XL and Buzzz coming within 15'-20' of the basket for some prospective birdie shots. For shits and giggles, I pulled out the Nuke. Very humbling and it went back in the Jeep. I also tried out some forehand shots while I was at it. Not perfect, but pretty good.

Thanks for everyone's input and support!

Nice job! That's probably one of the best things you can do to learn how your discs fly is go to different spots and throw your different types of discs all at the same spot. One guy I play with is a comet lover and he has different types and knows how each one flys. So when it's his turn to throw, he'll go up and look at the shot and visualize the path he wants, then goes to his bag and grabs the disc that would best fit that path. I'm guilty of this, but too many noobies just grab the farthest disc they have and just 'grip it and rip it' and don't think about placement.
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Postby Wordgie » Wed May 25, 2011 6:04 pm

Drivers:
171 DX Valkyrie
174 Elite Z Nuke 1st Run (still just playing with it in the field)
172 XL

Mids/Fairway Stuff:
171 Pro-D Buzzz
175 DX Roc
172 DX Cheetah

Putters:
150 DX Aviar P&A
170 something Magnet

Went to go play a round today, but ended up just stopping in the big field before the first tee and threw...A BUNCH. Did some pec drills, mostly flat footed to check arm motion. The 150 Aviar really impressed me with the distance and flight path. I'm still a Valk fan, the XL is coming around, really dug the Cheetah (first time throwing it) and was iffy on the Roc. It'll have a place in my bag for sure, just really need to see it on the course. Still not ready for the Nuke, though it's starting to show some improvement.

Also did some forehand throwing. The XL was BAD ASS! Buzzz did pretty good, too. I'm really comfortable with the form of the FH and really picked up some distance and a moderate amount of accuracy. I was thinking of grabbing maybe an Orc this weekend. Any other good FH discs out there?
Wordgie
Noob

Postby Wordgie » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Drivers:
175 DX Valkyrie (Yeti ate my 171)
172 XL

Mids/Fairway Stuff:
171 Pro-D Buzzz
175 DX Roc
172 DX Cheetah
171 DX Gazelle
170 DX Tee-Bird

Putters:
150 DX Aviar P&A
175 Magnet

I'm on a different schedule for Summer so I'm able to get to the course more often. I was really feeling the Roc love, then I broke out the Buzzz the last two times I played. I gotta say, I'm liking the sting. The Aviar is all but out. Too light. Plus, hitting a 45' putt, from under a palmetto with a heavy hyzer makes me very partial to the Magnet.

I picked up the T-Bird today. Gotta say, the Bird is the word! It goes exactly where you throw it, better or worse. Having some nose up/down issues, but other than that, it's a great disc. I got it as a forehand disc, but I just couldn't get it to do right. I know it's me.

The Gazelle has been my go to on two of the tunnel holes we have. Get within 80', approach with the Buzzz or Roc and bring it home with the Magnet.

The Valk is my money driver. I just really need to work on my foot plant more. I'm getting tired of 325+' drives going to waste because they're 125' off target. I should be birdie'ing them instead of three tossing.

The XL is all but out. It was doing OK forehand, but the mojo is wearing off me or the disc. It starts out good, climbs, then hyzers a little, then hyzers a lot, then crashes into the ground to the left instead of drifting to the right. It was my go to disc on hole two and giving me consistent approach for a birdie.

It was a good day today. Best round was 3 over thanks to my hole 5 curse and I only spent a total of 20 minutes looking for discs.

I found someone's Champ Wraith, called 'em and set up a meet to get it back to the owner. In the meantime I hit the field for some practice. I was pushing 350 sidearm with that thing until my arm turned to mush. Turns out, the owner traded it to another guy who I was talking to before I left. I found out after I left. My Nuke is starting to come along. Got one really good throw then some shorter, but considerably straighter ones. No more 100' hard plunges.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby Wordgie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:08 pm

Me and the XL had a bonding moment. It's back in now. But, now I'm on the outs with my Tee Bird.

I found a somethingorother gram Star Sidewinder, ironically enough, at the same tee I lost my Valkyrie on. It's faded to the point that you can barely make out what color it used to be or even what model it is, but damn is that thing awesome on a forehand! Flat and straight for just over 300' at about 8' off the deck. Took it to the field and hit it as hard as I could FH and got about 350-375'. Not as accurate, though. Used it backhand on my Achilles heel hole, number 5, and not only got it past the bushes and palmettos, but 20' just past and to the left of the basket for a birdie.

I was off all day today and had the opportunity to spend most of it on the course, but the rain kept me to one round and a little bit of driving practice.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby Wordgie » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:28 am

Sidewinder is gone. Some palmetto dwelling Yeti grabbed it from me and ran.

XL is still a pretty bad ass forehand, but I really need something that will replace the Sidewinder. I'm thinking Firebird or FL. I'm also not able to form the lines I want to with the Gazelle or the TeeBird. I can a decen anny from the Cheetah and the Gazelle, but they flatten out and keep going to the right instead of flattening out and curving back to the left. I'm left with an L-Curve, not an S-Curve. Form or trying to get something out of a disc it can't do?

Tried to mix it up a little today. I've been doing the short tees and I'm at the point where it's drive, putt, (miss), putt again. I really haven't had a chance to do any real mid throwing. Well, I stepped up to the big boy tees. My drives have been improving, but today they were horrible which played into what I wanted to do. I played 4 rounds total, alternating each round between my Roc and Buzzz. I think the problem I have with the Roc is I can't underpower it at all. Full on flinging it, even from right pec with no step, I get a great flight. Anything under say 75-90' and I'm overthrowing the basket. The Buzzz is much better under powered, but I can get better lines out of it.

The Magnet is still the money putter, but I'm still not in love with it. I really want to try a KC Aviar.
Wordgie
Noob

Postby Wordgie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Drivers:
175 DX Valkyrie (Yeti ate my 171)
172 XL
150 Dragon
170 Star Roadrunner
167 Champ Orc

Mids/Fairway Stuff:
171 Pro-D Buzzz
175 DX Roc
172 DX Cheetah
171 DX Gazelle
170 DX Tee-Bird
171 DX Eagle

Putters:
150 DX Aviar P&A
175 Magnet

I'm beginning to shy away from the Valk as my go to driver and only using on two or three holes on my home course. I've learned how to throw the Orc forehand and found it takes a lot of room and alot of height to get it where I want it. Just got the RR and in the middle of that learning curve. I'm getting the FH dialed in and starting to hit the BH pretty good.

I've only played a few rounds with the Eagle and I love it! I'm still hitting some trees on the tunnel holes, but I'm able to carve a better line. This will be sharing some drives with my XL.

I'm still favoring the Buzzz over the Roc on most approach shots, but I'm forcing myself to use it more.

I alternated my putters between rounds and found myself liking the Aviar much better. I love the flight of it and the feel in my hand. I may get me a heavier, premium plastic (KC Pro, Star Aviar) or go to DGC and play wth his demo putters and see what i like.

I've found myself leaving the Archangel, Cheetah and Tee Bird in the bag and I'm thinking about doing a day where I take all my go to discs out and use those exclusively just to force myself to learn them a little more. I throw them in a field regularly, but nothing's like the real deal as a test. Also thinking of doing a couple rounds where I just throw from the right pec and work on the hit a little more.
Wordgie
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion