Questions on footwear

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Questions on footwear

Postby stinlin » Wed May 11, 2011 10:26 am

All helpful, thanks! Waterproof can be dealt with by a spray or something. But I guess I want something durable that will last me and will help keep my feet from getting too soaked when I have to walk through puddles. I'll check out the Dick's nearby to at least get a feel like you mentioned. There's a Cabella's/Outdoor World nearby, but the nearest REI to Indianapolis is...not near, haha.
stinlin
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Sean40474 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:56 am

I find that I'm not a fan of quick lace shoes as they don't stay tight enough around my feet. I'm always having to tape my heels or I'll get blisters. Anyone else have these issues? I think I'm more about having shoes that I can tie myself.

emiller3 wrote:For most of the major brands, they'll carry waterproof and non-waterproof versions of the same shoe, so you'll have to do your homework from that regard. Waterproof isn't completely necessary, and despite what they say, I don't think waterproof material is typically very breathable, nor does it always work. You can get waterproof socks so you only have to go waterproof when necessary.

I bought my shoes from REI, they offer a full replacement if I'm not happy for any reason.

You really ought to try some shoes on and decide for yourself. I thought some of the Merrells looked cool, but when I tried them on in the store, they were extremely firm and lumpy, they didn't fit my feet well at all.

I bought the Teva Riva eVents and they are AWESOME. Hands down the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn and they have proven bullet-proof so far. The eVent is Teva's waterproof material, I would have rather gotten them in the standard mesh but couldn't find them locally to try on.

I bought the Riva's for mountain courses, which I play often. I prefer less grippy cross-trainer type shoes for courses with cement tee pads. I have two pairs of Salomon XT Wings that have been great in every respect, but even they some sole-separation going on. I wouldn't spend more than $70 on cross trainers, I haven't found a pair that's worth breaking the bank like some of the hiking shoes.

REI is cool like that....one reason I buy shoes from them and spend the little extra for the shoe. Waterproof shoes are rad for the first few months, then they don't work anymore. I also don't care for them for the same reason....your feet sweet and can breed athlete's foot.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby LoudinT » Thu May 26, 2011 10:09 am

I like wearing sandals in the summer. I've had Tevas and Keens mostly and like them both. For winter, I like a nice light hiking boot to keep my feet warm and still provide grip. For the rest of the time, I usually prefer a trail running shoe for the grip and because they are lightweight. There are some that are waterproof and others that aren't. Does anyone wear Crocs? I've been looking at them over at shoemall and was curious to know how they feel.
Last edited by LoudinT on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loudin - Waiting for the rain to end.
LoudinT
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hurricane

Postby Jeronimo » Thu May 26, 2011 12:16 pm

emiller3 wrote:I bought the Teva Riva eVents and they are AWESOME. Hands down the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn and they have proven bullet-proof so far.

Ditto. They are some seriously awesome footwear.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby ArcheType » Thu May 26, 2011 12:55 pm

I'm gonna go against the grain here, but my shoes of choice are Osirises, the bronx models. For those who don't know, they're actually skateboarding shoes, but they're comfortable, have good support, and durable as all hell.
ArcheType
Noob

Favorite Disc: Voodoo<3

Postby vtbuzzz » Thu May 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Id
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Sean40474 » Thu May 26, 2011 4:04 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
emiller3 wrote:I bought the Teva Riva eVents and they are AWESOME. Hands down the most comfortable shoe I've ever worn and they have proven bullet-proof so far.

Are these waterproof? Do they breathe well? How long have you had them to determine craftsmanship?

I'm curious because I spent a pretty penny on some Solomon's that are not what I thought they'd be. I'm in the market for some serious footwear as I'm hard on shoes with our inclement weather here.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Jeronimo » Thu May 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Sean40474 wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:

Are these waterproof? Do they breathe well? How long have you had them to determine craftsmanship?

I'm curious because I spent a pretty penny on some Solomon's that are not what I thought they'd be. I'm in the market for some serious footwear as I'm hard on shoes with our inclement weather here.

Yes. Yes. Over 1 year. They're low cut though so don't expect to step into any real deep puddles.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby jenb » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:09 pm

I'm concerned that maybe my gortex Salomon's are losing their waterproofing after just three months. Is that something that happens with gortex shoes? Do they develop cracks?
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:52 am

Jen, with the shoes that I've purchased this has happened to me as well. I do have a pair of solomons that seem to be holding their waterproofing....i got mine back in December.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby JR » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:26 pm

jenb wrote:I'm concerned that maybe my gortex Salomon's are losing their waterproofing after just three months. Is that something that happens with gortex shoes? Do they develop cracks?

That's what i've heard and experienced. And the only waterproof sock i've tried Sealskinz are too hot for summer. A dry shoe doesn't smell as bad as a wet one and you don't need to dry it if you are in a two or more day tourney or a trip or something similar.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear