I guess I need a fairway driver...

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

I guess I need a fairway driver...

Postby limonsock » Thu May 26, 2011 11:39 pm

So in 1 month and 4 days I will return to America and play disc on a real course! Hot diggity I'm excited. Im starting to think that having a 10 month break in China might have actually been a good thing for my game; because, from this site I have realized that I drastically needed to reshape my bag. Last year I was throwing a putter, 2 mids and a bunch of super speed drivers. This approach worked well enough; I have a pretty good arm (about 400-450 RHBH and 300-350 FH) so on my long course I could bomb a drive with mediocre accuracy and hopefully get close enough to the pin with my mid to make pars. This worked well enough except that the 2 courses I frequent the most are both heavily wooded, and If my drive was a bit off, those approaches with the mids would be a whole lot more difficult. SO reading this site has made me realize I need to put some slower drivers in my bag and learn to throw them! So i picked up some discs Im hoping for some feedback from you frisbee scientists out there about whether there is anything you think I should add to this bag or if I have any overlap an am making sacrifices against minimalism. Discs in bold are new ones Ive ordered and will be replacing the plethora of speed 12 and 13 bombers I had last year.

Distance Drivers
2x 175 XG Boss: 1 beat and one new- basically I already have these and can throw them rather consistently so I see no point in buying anything different here.
1 168 pro katana- huge annies and monster rolls.
1 Max weight star Xcal or Champ ape: have the X, bought the ape and never tried, anyone love the ape?
1 170 Champ Wraith: Super straight FH: used to have on and LOVED it for this shot, it got eaten by the river troll...

Controllable/fairwayish drivers (1 of all b/c they are all new!)
170ish S-PD
Star Eagle
170ish Champ Teebird
Z-pred: when I write up possible bags, this is always included under the tag of "every bag needs this"

Mids
2x SG-MD1: 1 beat (i love this) and 1 new for OS mid shots
1 or 2 180 ESP Comet

Putter
2 Wizards- 1 for putting 1 for drives
Wants
Ion and premium Jokeri for driving, baseline Jokeri for putting. I cant find another wizard that I can drive like the one I have, my other 3 suck!

So any suggestions of anything to add or take away? I think I could use an understable driver, TD or a Flow? Or can the Wraith do this duty and I should just learn to throw that BH?
Thanks DGR's
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Re: I guess I need a fairway driver...

Postby ArcheType » Thu May 26, 2011 11:59 pm

I'd think the katana should work as your understable driver,

also, the PD does NOT count as a fairway. I can say that, I carry one. But, if you end up liking the PD, I'd consider keeping it, and adding a gazelle. That way, you'll have another step in speed from putter>mid>fairway>slower driver>fast drivers. The PD would be the slower driver, and the gazelle would be the fairway.
ArcheType
Noob

Favorite Disc: Voodoo<3

Postby Sean40474 » Fri May 27, 2011 3:26 pm

I'm on board with the Gazelle for you fairway driver, has done a lot for me.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby limonsock » Fri May 27, 2011 7:04 pm

isnt an eagle very close to a gazelle?
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Postby Nick M » Fri May 27, 2011 8:06 pm

I just picked up a Star 170 Eagle X and a Champion 175 Eagle X. They fly great, they go 350'-375' for me on a straight line and i don't have to rip it as hard as my fast drivers. They don't flip too much for me and hold a nice long line. When thrown with a slight hyzer they pop up a bit and then fly straight and have a nice gentle fade. When thrown with more hyzer the eagle seems to hold a nice gentle hyzer line with a touch of fade. I have yet to test them on huge anhyzers and I can't wait to beat up the star so its more flippy so I can buy another new star to cycle into the bag. I think I am going to like the Eagle a lot.

Do they still make Gazelles besides the dx? I don't have interest in the dx plastic honestly in fairway drivers, a pro, star or champ gazelle would be nice. I used to love the two dx gazelles I had years ago but they are all gone now and so much has changed with my game since I last threw them 4-5 years ago.
Nick M
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby zj1002 » Fri May 27, 2011 8:28 pm

you need a leopard or stalker type disc. the pd/eagle/tb/pred all cover the hyzer/flex shots. you need something straight that can hold a turnover or a hyzer flip. maybe an eagle-l or QJLS
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby ArcheType » Fri May 27, 2011 9:00 pm

They make champ glow gazelles which are stable as hell, teebird-esque even. They're great.
ArcheType
Noob

Favorite Disc: Voodoo<3

Postby Nick M » Fri May 27, 2011 9:08 pm

ArcheType wrote:They make champ glow gazelles which are stable as hell, teebird-esque even. They're great.

!!!!! I need to test some of those out. Thanks!
Nick M
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby limonsock » Sun May 29, 2011 8:05 am

zj1002 wrote:you need a leopard or stalker type disc. the pd/eagle/tb/pred all cover the hyzer/flex shots. you need something straight that can hold a turnover or a hyzer flip. maybe an eagle-l or QJLS

You dont think a comet could cover those shots? I havent thrown either so I have no idea on the comets distance potential... but I was thinking a faster understable driver like a TD with a comet might be able to cover those duties. Opinions?
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Postby JR » Sun May 29, 2011 8:41 am

I just got my first high PLH STDs and haven't had calm days for testing. It might leave a too large distance gap to a Comet. I haven't thrown 3rd run domey ESP Comets but other Comets aren't wind beaters. Or flex discs. Stalkers or Leos would work better and especially Glo Z Stalkers for most HSS and LSS. With Z for straight flight.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Sean40474 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:05 pm

ArcheType wrote:They make champ glow gazelles which are stable as hell, teebird-esque even. They're great.

I love the Champ Gazelles, but you'll have to dye them if you don't like white discs.

limonsock wrote:isnt an eagle very close to a gazelle?

ELs might be closer, but they're still different. EXs are more stable than Gazelles, especially in champion.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby limonsock » Sun May 29, 2011 6:56 pm

I just saw a river listed as a fairway driver; I was under the impression that it was more of a distance driver; although, I have never seen one. could this cover the turnover shots that a TD AND a leopard would? If yes any recommendations between Opto or gold plastic?
limonsock
Noob

Postby Star Shark » Sun May 29, 2011 9:13 pm

limonsock wrote:I just saw a river listed as a fairway driver; I was under the impression that it was more of a distance driver; although, I have never seen one. could this cover the turnover shots that a TD AND a leopard would? If yes any recommendations between Opto or gold plastic?

Pretty much. A River is a slightly faster Leopard with ridiculous glide. TD is closer to a Sidewinder iirc and is kind of a different slot.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby JR » Mon May 30, 2011 4:35 am

My Opto River has way more fade than Leopards do. There are at least two kinds of STDs. High PLH doesn't fade much or turn but the other kind is flippy to almost Sidewinder territory but not as differently flippy from throw to throw.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion