Mejlholm's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Mejlholm's bag

Postby mejlholm » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:59 am

Gonna try the pure for a while. I love the warlocks, but am a little bit tired of not being able to find new ones.

distance drivers:
--------
3x 175g Star wraith (beat, ripe, new)
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
1x 175g Champ leopard
3x 175g Star eagle-x (beat, getting beat, new)

midrange:
-----------
1x 174g Pro-D buzz
2x 177g X-line buzz
2x 175g Pro (esp) aftershock

putters:
------------
2x 175g zero-line pure
PDGA | Bag | Drives

Wizard | Roc | Eagle-X | Sword | Giant
mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby mejlholm » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:14 am

Pure's are out! Zero line beats in too quickly (just from hitting the basket), they feel strange in my hands and they are generally unpredictable for me (the low speed fade is too tricky for me)... Guess that short affair made me realize how much I love the warlock :-)
PDGA | Bag | Drives

mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Postby mejlholm » Sat May 28, 2011 11:11 am

Been a while, not that many changes in the larger picture. I'm moving towards pro plastics when possible. Bought a champion eagle-l to replace the leopard, which seemed very much like star plastic to me. It flew great, but I lost it after 10+ throws, so I guess I have to wait a little until a can find another one like it. Or beat in the old eagle some more, what ever comes first.

distance drivers:
--------
2x 175g Pro wraith (new, beat)
1x 175g Echo Star wraith (overstable)
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
1x 175g Star leopard

midrange:
-----------
2x 177g X-line buzz (beat, new)
2x 175g Pro (esp) aftershock

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS Warlock
2x 175g SS Wizard
PDGA | Bag | Drives

mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun May 29, 2011 5:21 am

Do you drive with putters? SS is soft for durability and longevity. Have you tried 12x KC Aviars with www tooling on the bottom of the flight plate? They are taller and slicker but you can use bees wax for added grippyness.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby limonsock » Sun May 29, 2011 8:09 am

I'm trying to work out fairway drivers in my bag right now, I'm wondering if you think the beat eagle can cover leopard type shots? Or is the leapord a must? Also how much more distance are you getting from the leo than the buzzz?
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Postby JR » Sun May 29, 2011 8:36 am

I'm in the sorry state of not owning an Eagle L at the moment. I threw a loaner over a year ago. It might beat into Leopardish. Back then i think i threw the Eagle around 350' and the Buzzz 270-280'. I should really throw EL again. For shorter annies the EL should be DX.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby mejlholm » Sun May 29, 2011 8:50 am

JR wrote:Do you drive with putters? SS is soft for durability and longevity. Have you tried 12x KC Aviars with www tooling on the bottom of the flight plate? They are taller and slicker but you can use bees wax for added grippyness.

These days I'm all about grip, which is also why I'm happy with the SS wizards. I've had them for quite some time and they don't really beat in too much, so for now I'm not changing anything there. I'll keep the aviars in mind tho, if the wizards get too beat (its just too hard to find replacements here).
PDGA | Bag | Drives

mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Postby mejlholm » Sun May 29, 2011 8:57 am

limonsock wrote:I'm trying to work out fairway drivers in my bag right now, I'm wondering if you think the beat eagle can cover leopard type shots? Or is the leapord a must? Also how much more distance are you getting from the leo than the buzzz?

My eagles still cannot cover a full power turnover shot, which is why I still find that I need the leopard. I guess the guys on this board would probably also recomment that you throw DX eagles instead, as these beat in quicker/better. (Oops, that's what JR said :-))

In practise the buzzz usually suffices for my turnover shots. I throw my buzz up to 100 m (330") and the leopard to to 120 m (390"), so there are some more meters go gain from the leopard, but the overlap is noticable.
PDGA | Bag | Drives

mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Postby mejlholm » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:47 am

Okay, admittedly I'm totally behind on the DGR reading and missed the whole Roc hype there seems to be going on here. Independently I have come to the conclusion that a flippy x-line buzzz is not the way to go. Most of the time they work rather well, but once in a while a sudden wind will knock it right over and drop out of the air. I'm pretty convinced that the rocs will perform better, so I'm thinking I'll try a combination of Roc and buzz for a while.

I'll be trying out some different scenarios:

1) Classic roc as main midrange and putter (this is quite popular here in Sweden) and it would be awesome if I could cover all approach and midrange shots with the classic roc.
2) KC rocs to replace the Aftershocks as overstable midrange. Replace stable and understable when the discs get worn.
3) R-pro rocs for stable to understable. Well I was adviced this by another player, so I'm giving it a try. They have the slanted rim, so already I'm a little sceptical (this however seems to be pretty nice for a power grip, but i'm more of a fan grip kind of guy on the midranges).
4) DX rocs for all slots. I only got one, but after the initial throws, this seemed like the nicest of the discs to me. I wouldn't be surprised if this approach will be the winner.

I'll probably keep a buzz in the bag for a long time for low straight tunnel shots.

distance drivers:
--------
2x 175g Pro wraith (beat, new)
1x 175g Star wraith (a little beat)
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
1x 175g Star leopard

midrange:
-----------
2x 177g X-line buzz (beat, new)
2x 175g KC Pro Rocs (overstable and stable) - hopefully
2x 175g R-pro Rocs (stable and understable) - hopefully
1x 175g DX Roc
1x 175g DX Classic Roc

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS Warlock
2x 175g SS Wizard
PDGA | Bag | Drives

mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:27 am

Buzzzes are more difficult to throw in 1 degree increments from 1 to 4-5 degrees of anny than KC Roc. Buzzz id fine for flat shots plus 5 and more degrees annies. Buzzz moves a lot sideways with just one degree miss in hyzer angle whereas a Roc will move way less off line with hyzer angle mess ups. This makes the Roc superior in tight tunnels straight or turning. I did test and will continue testing carrying Rocs and Buzzzes at the same time and will also chuck in Comets for fun.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby JR » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:51 am

Forgot to write that the Aftershock fades more and is faster than KC Roc. Roc doesn't drop as often and as much as the Buzzz in rear wind.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby mejlholm » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:34 am

I'm looking forward to having a roc that is beat up enough for tunnel shots :-)

As for the aftershock, yes it definitely is more overstable than the rocs. I wonder if I'm gonna need one of the very overstable midranges because of this. I guess time will tell...
PDGA | Bag | Drives

mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:46 am

KC Roc ain't bad for tunnels if you throw it hard but at shorter ranges you should either use a putter or for the faster breaking in a DX Roc.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby mejlholm » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:42 am

Ended up with the following bag. I found rocs to fly just fine on tunnel shots, so the buzz is out. Put in a little more drivers, mainly to fill up the bag compartment and serve as backups.

distance drivers:
--------
3x 175g Pro wraith (beat, slightly beat, new)
1x 175g Star wraith (very beat)
1x 175g Star max

fairway drivers:
------------------
2x 175g Champ eagle-l (beat, getting beat)
4x 175g Star eagle-x (beat, getting beat, new, new)

midrange:
-----------
3x 175g KC Pro Rocs (overstable, stable, beat) - hopefully
1x 175g DX Roc (beat)

putters:
------------
2x 175g SSS Warlock
2x 175g SS Wizard
PDGA | Bag | Drives

mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:37 pm

While the Roc is better between 1 and 4 degrees of anny in 1 degree steps is your worn DX Roc understable enough to fly well right of the initial line early in the flight like a Buzzz or a Comet? Roc in KC is better in rear winds i haven't done a head to head comparison with the DX. Otherwise Roc plus Buzzz combo is good for range control the Buzzz being a little longer than KC which is a little longer than a DX.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion