Fanter's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Fanter's Bag

Postby fanter » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:36 pm

Here's my bag! I've spent a lot of time since joining this forum fussing over how I fill my bag. I've been playing with this setup for a bit now (a month, maybe?), and, despite some holes, I'm at least becoming comfortable with these molds specifically. Most of these molds I've been throwing since I started playing about two years ago. My distance is slightly over 400' with a *Wraith, but with a touch more effort I can launch an OLF out to the same distance and with more fade. Wraiths at that distance don't face much for me.

*Wraith
QOLF
ESP Pred (worn, it still handles some winds but I plan to pick up a Z with my next order)
Eagles (x & l molds)
Z Wasp
ESP Buzz (pretty well beaten after a down under round at Rosedale)
Focii (D and X)
Champ Rhyno

I could definitely use a stronger midrange to replace the Wasp. It holds up alright in some winds and gives some great hyzer shots, but trying to throw a hyzer IN THE WIND with it doesn't work well.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Fanter's Bag

Postby anubis080 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:36 pm

It sounds like we have about the same distance. For a stronger midrange than a wasp, I would honestly recommend the Hornet. Doesn't flip in the wind, and you can throw some badass flexshots with it too.
Halo, PD, Leopard, Buzzz, Hornet, Wizard
anubis080
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD, Hornet, Wizard

Postby fanter » Sun May 29, 2011 2:50 pm

I took out the Wraith. With the previous bag my form was still weak (and remains that way, but I'm working on it more now. Learning good form on one's own is stupid hard.)

The most current setup:

*Orc
Champ Valkyrie
Predator x2 (new Z, beaten ESP)
Eagles (x and L)
Drone
Buzzz (new Z, one beaten ESP)
Focii
Rhyno

I have a lot of Orcs, so I decided to give them a try. They have an undesirable fade that occasionally puts me in some really bad lies. I might not be meeting their power requirement. I might return to using OLF's because of the slightly smaller rim, and I don't remember them fading so damn hard.

I've considered a less stable fairway driver. Even my EL's have enough LSS to come out of some long (375') anhyzers. I could just use a DX Eagle, I suppose.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby fanter » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:42 pm

Having recently unlocked some distance potential (that is, I started consistently driving about 30-40 beyond my average drives), I've found the Orcs to be super reliable. I like the Valkyries better for their ability to handle different powers, but I think I'll keep at least one Orc because I can put more power behind it and be sure I won't flip it too hard.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby fanter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:21 pm

I have accuracy and line-shaping/hitting issues. I'm reducing the bag a bit to hopefully clean some things up. I'd like to get another driving video up soon, too. There were some discs hanging out in the bag that I've never listed because they have been so peripheral. I'm taking them out. They were: various max D drivers (Flow, DX Destroyer, Wraith), Z Wasp, Medium Wizard.

The setup now (not a whole lot different, but still noticeable)

Valkyries (Champ/Star)
Predator (Z, beaten ESP)
Eagle X (dropped the L's to see what I can do with just X's)
Drone
Buzzz (Z, beaten ESP)
Focii

Dropped the Orcs because I was leaning on their dependable stability (Which isn't always bad, I don't think). I know there are lots of things I can do with a Valkyrie (especially in calm conditions) that I'm just not executing well (hyzers, for example, and powered-down straight shots.) I can push the ESP Pred pretty far if I have to, so that can fill my stable distance needs.

I worry a bit about the Buzzz/Drone combo because of how a) fast the Drone and Buzzz are, and B) how stupid overstable the Drone is. I'll work with it for a bit and see if I change my mind. I have a fresh Z Comet lying around that may see some play time if I'm unsatisfied with the new setup.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby fanter » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:18 pm

It would be great if someone wanted to pitch in some input on this.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:42 am

I think your trimmed down setup won't be the obstacle to line hitting improvements as long as you can release the Focus cleanly. If you have wobbling or flipping and if you think that you aren't breaking the plane of the arm motion even in the follow through and aren't wrist, elbow or shoulder rolling then the disc ain't coming off cleanly out of you fingers. A lighter grip may help and changing where the fingers are. If that doesn't help try a beadless putter. Jokeri is more HSS and LSS but not excessively more LSS for anything else but tunnels. If you used a straight disc too go ahead. DX Aviar P&A or Rattler would work for example for shorter shots. Jokeri likes power or it will fade harder.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby fanter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:08 am

I'm actually trying to drive my putters less so that I can learn to power down the Buzzz better. I've also been working on incorporating sidearm into my game, and I'm very comfortable flicking the Focus to hit small gaps. My biggest worry is the sensitivity of Valkyrie (for my backhand, anyway). It requires more control on my part than a slightly overstable driver that I KNOW I can rip, get very little turn, and fade.

Maybe I'm just stupid for not using an Orc/OLF/Avenger/etc.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby fanter » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:41 pm

Played 36 holes today in some gusty winds. The bag performed splendidly. I stuck a 162 QOLF in the bag for safe measure and never used it. Valkyries need some smart playing in cross winds but I handled them well. Eagles are great for handling (some) headwind, but I might need a stronger one. This run of cloudy champs beats up pretty easily. ESP Predator put me about 35' from the pin on a 400' hole. I know I can get closer, though, so I might look into try the OLF for this shot in the future, but for now this setup stays.

I should also mention that I ditched the Drone.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby fanter » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:55 pm

I chickened out tonight in the wind and stuck a Rhyno in my bag before league. I made some pretty terrible throws with it.

Note to self: trust the setup.

Remaining issue: short ( <220' ) drives. Proposed solution: standstill or one-step approach.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby MDP » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 pm

fanter wrote:
Remaining issue: short ( <220' ) drives. Proposed solution: standstill or one-step approach.

I do both a stand still and a shortened x-step a lot. I don't actually see a lot of other people do the stand still, but I throw a lot of putters and midranges off the tee like that.

As long as you can generate enough acceleration and weight shift without actually stepping it'll work.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby fanter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:15 am

I have no issue feeling leverage on the disc at a standstill, but accuracy might become an issue. It's definitely something I'll practice along with learning a flick. I think having a wider range of shots available will only help me keep my mold count low, which is what I need right now.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:05 am

fanter wrote:I have accuracy and line-shaping/hitting issues. I'm reducing the bag a bit to hopefully clean some things up. I'd like to get another driving video up soon, too. There were some discs hanging out in the bag that I've never listed because they have been so peripheral. I'm taking them out. They were: various max D drivers (Flow, DX Destroyer, Wraith), Z Wasp, Medium Wizard.

The setup now (not a whole lot different, but still noticeable)

Valkyries (Champ/Star)
Predator (Z, beaten ESP)
Eagle X (dropped the L's to see what I can do with just X's)
Drone
Buzzz (Z, beaten ESP)
Focii

Dropped the Orcs because I was leaning on their dependable stability (Which isn't always bad, I don't think). I know there are lots of things I can do with a Valkyrie (especially in calm conditions) that I'm just not executing well (hyzers, for example, and powered-down straight shots.) I can push the ESP Pred pretty far if I have to, so that can fill my stable distance needs.

I worry a bit about the Buzzz/Drone combo because of how a) fast the Drone and Buzzz are, and B) how stupid overstable the Drone is. I'll work with it for a bit and see if I change my mind. I have a fresh Z Comet lying around that may see some play time if I'm unsatisfied with the new setup.

Some relative overlap with the bigger drivers for all intents and purposes, the wraith and flow are the same disc, and the destroyer is just a faster, slightly more HSS wraith. So when your max D driver goes back in the bag keep that in mind IMO.

Ever try a pro wraith or destroyer? I think for your 350+ max distance type driver you could pair a pro/star destroyer together or wraiths, the premium plastic for the less friendly winds, and the glidey pro plastic for tail wind, or open D.

Anyway, at what distance would you say you reach for the big driver? Fairways? Mids? Putter? assuming wind isnt an issue.

If you arent comfortable with the buzzz at a longer distance, then you should have an eagle or something similar for that tweener slot, im not a huge fan of carrying a disc solely for a 30 ft distance gap, but overpowering a valk isnt a great idea so to have a less overstable, less speed sensative, and more workable option for your shots under 350 that fits the bill better than the current lineup.

Also, if youre content with the Buzzz, maybe add a buzzz SS for a less stable option for when your putter isnt long or fast enough.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby fanter » Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Valkyrie is my max distance driver right now. ~360'+ (I haven't had too much trouble hitting 400' slightly uphill at hole 15 at Ozark.)
Eagles cover me between 320' and ~360
Height is how I control Buzzz distance. With an open ceiling I've driven it to 370', but I use it for 250-310' usually.
Putters are everything below this.

Valkyries hyzer-flip to flat for low tunnels if they're out of my Buzzz zone, and they hold the anhyzers that my Eagle-L's held. Eagles CAN be my stable distance, and I've definitely hit ~375 with them in mild winds where I wouldn't trust my Valkyrie for distance. Predators do a lot of utility work at all distances. Focii are straight on flicks and backhands.

I think with some work I can control the Buzzz and my putters at short distance. I tossed around a Comet tonight and it holds an awesome low, slow, straight line, so it might get a couple audition rounds.

As for the big distance drivers: I've traded away most of my nicer Destroyers, but I have a Pro Wraith and two Stars lying around that I plan to use after I'm comfortable working with this setup. I also have two Flows that will compete against the Wraiths. With the way I've been throwing Valkyries, though, I wonder if I even need it.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby Pwingles » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:59 pm

Valks are great, they just arent the greatest in cross or headwinds. I think the OLF/Valk distance combo would work. They have a similar feel in the hand. They dont necessarily fly anything alike but The OLF is prolly more trustworthy in the wind.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion