Louisiana Course needs some help

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Louisiana Course needs some help

Postby codygoodman1337 » Sun May 29, 2011 12:13 pm

I live in Many, LA so the closest registered course to me is almost two hours away. Yesterday I was ecstatic to find that a city a little over 40 miles away has a disc golf course in a public park. I drove all the way to check it out only to find several things wrong. First off this park is in a very bad neighborhood, so having it maintained is out of the question. The baskets were in bad shape and some were even leaning so far that I do not believe a disc would land in them. There are no tee boxes, but I was told that you are supposed to play from "hole to hole" which, given the layout, looked probable. The only set back to that is, where do you tee off for #1? The small park has potential to be a good place to practice or even have a weekly match, but it needs help. I am talking about Myrtle Park in Leesville, Louisiana, in case anyone is near me. I personally would like to see a new course either put in at Hodges Gardens, or maybe any of the other state parks locally. What advice can some you veterans to the sport offer, and what advice (if any) can anyone local to me offer to getting the park cleaned up.
codygoodman1337
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Valkyrie

Re: Louisiana Course needs some help

Postby Billym » Mon May 30, 2011 3:34 pm

40 miles is the closest and that is what you found? I would start a local club and look for a park in your town to install a course. In the meantime maybe set up a few safari holes in a park near your home and maybe buy a soft portable bsket to move around the course. All else fails just throw in a field and practice putt as much as possible.
Destroyer,Sidewinder,Firebird,Eagles,Leopard, Roc, Mako, S Wizard.

Sometimes I wonder why that Frisbee is getting bigger then it hits me.
Billym
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby AciDBatH666 » Mon May 30, 2011 4:33 pm

Post up on http://www.sndg.org/forum/ and you'll probably find a few people near you that might be able to help you out. Also there's a crew from the Monroe and Shreveport areas that come to our tournaments in Lafayette and Baton Rouge. So you can maybe meet up with them somewhere along I-49 and tag along with them if you'd like to carpool to a tournament down here. Shreveport has a bit of a disc golf crew. I believe Kevin Pelton is the guy that TDs a lot of their stuff.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby codygoodman1337 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Thanks, man. do you know of any more disc golf courses in the Central Louisiana area? I love the sport, but with gas prices the way they are, i cant afford to drive 2 hours to play :(
codygoodman1337
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Valkyrie

Postby PMantle » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:36 pm

There are now three courses in the Alexandria/Pineville area. 1 is 18 hols and the other 2 are 9.
PMantle
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Return to Courses