2011 First Class Challenge

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2011 First Class Challenge

Postby victorb » Tue May 17, 2011 7:39 am

I hear a lot about DSM having some of the best courses around...and I'm considering going up to play the Challenge this year.

Anyone else going? What have your experiences been like in past years? I know the DSM area must put on a good tournament since they had Worlds up there before I started playing. Ewing and Pickard are the courses I always hear about being really good.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: 2011 First Class Challenge

Postby Timko » Tue May 17, 2011 8:48 am

Big Creek!

I'm sure BLURR or MDR can chime in because they're more knowledgeable, but Des Moines has an awesome club that puts on an awesome event. I know Corey was organizing it the past couple of years, and everyone who went said it was very nice. The courses speak for themselves. If you've not played golf there, it's worth the trip.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Steve » Tue May 17, 2011 10:00 am

I am helping run it this year. The Tournament Director is Joe Wiley and he is doing a great job at putting on a huge event. The courses have been getting worked on for the last couple weeks and are looking great.

Online registration is open, and the website has been updated.

There will also be a $500 Skins Match following the final round of play. The top 4 finishers from the A or B pools will be matched with a raffle ticket winner for a doubles partner. They will compete for skins using the alternate shot format. Skins will be worth $50 per hole and $100 for the final hole. Raffle tickets are on sale for $5 each or 3 for $10.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby BLURR » Tue May 17, 2011 10:20 am

The Challenge is almost always a top notch event. It seems that year in and year out since hosting worlds, the club has put on a stellar tournament. The courses are second to none (KC is a close second in my opinion). The four courses used for Pro/Advanced will definitely challenge every shot in your arsenal and probably some you don't have :wink: The players party at Felix N' Oscar's is a good time. They have some of the best pizza I have ever had(Not quite as good as Waldo's down in KC).

Here's a quick breakdown of the courses

Pickard:
Long...and then long again. There are a handful of holes that are under 320, so getting your birdies on those is needed. Beautiful rolling hills, water, some elevation changes, trees and some good op's to air out your plastic. Most of the pro's that have played this course say they love it. This is probably my favorite course to play in the metro area.

Ewing:
This course is a tale of two nine's. The front side it wooded and requires some accuracy to score well. The back nine is where you get to air out your shots. The back nine might look easy at first glance, but once you step up to the hole and have to worry about keeping it in-bounds, it's a whole different ballgame. The course wraps around a lilac arboretum as well.

Walnut Ridge:
The course in tournament layout will definitely challenge you. If you hit your lines, you can shoot under par. A good balance of wooded and open holes. Plays right next to Saylorville lake. There is some good camping to be had within walking distance of this course as well. This course rewards accuracy above distance. Elevation comes into play if you miss the fairway as well. Lots of chances to roll away and down a 100 foot embankment. This is a close second to Pickard on my list for local courses.

Big Creek:
Well, this course has a hole that will drive you absolutely crazy. "The Freak" is a true test to your mental fortitude. If you can keep it together through all 900 ft of this hole, then the rest of the course is a breeze. This course requires accuracy and then more accuracy. There are very few holes that you should use a driver off the tee. I watched a particular MN D'craft Pro tear the course apart last year by playing quite a few buzzz's off the tee's.

Really, all in all, any one of these courses is would be a treat to play a two rounds tourney on. But if you come play the challenge, you get to play all four in their tournament configurations.

And supposedly the man, the myth, the legend...Dan Beto will be in attendance as well.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby victorb » Wed May 18, 2011 7:14 am

just signed up today. looking forward to playing some legendary courses! hopefully I play better there than I did in STL.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Wed May 18, 2011 8:17 am

Who's signing up for the Wide Open?
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby BLURR » Wed May 18, 2011 12:31 pm

victorb wrote:just signed up today. looking forward to playing some legendary courses! hopefully I play better there than I did in STL.

You won't be sorry. And make sure to bring your canon with. You'll need it.

I do believe there's ProFlight dub's on Friday out at Walnut as well.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby jamon » Wed May 18, 2011 2:00 pm

BLURR wrote:The Challenge is almost always a top notch event. It seems that year in and year out since hosting worlds, the club has put on a stellar tournament. The courses are second to none (KC is a close second in my opinion). The four courses used for Pro/Advanced will definitely challenge every shot in your arsenal and probably some you don't have :wink: The players party at Felix N' Oscar's is a good time. They have some of the best pizza I have ever had(Not quite as good as Waldo's down in KC).

Here's a quick breakdown of the courses

Pickard:
Long...and then long again. There are a handful of holes that are under 320, so getting your birdies on those is needed. Beautiful rolling hills, water, some elevation changes, trees and some good op's to air out your plastic. Most of the pro's that have played this course say they love it. This is probably my favorite course to play in the metro area.

Ewing:
This course is a tale of two nine's. The front side it wooded and requires some accuracy to score well. The back nine is where you get to air out your shots. The back nine might look easy at first glance, but once you step up to the hole and have to worry about keeping it in-bounds, it's a whole different ballgame. The course wraps around a lilac arboretum as well.

Walnut Ridge:
The course in tournament layout will definitely challenge you. If you hit your lines, you can shoot under par. A good balance of wooded and open holes. Plays right next to Saylorville lake. There is some good camping to be had within walking distance of this course as well. This course rewards accuracy above distance. Elevation comes into play if you miss the fairway as well. Lots of chances to roll away and down a 100 foot embankment. This is a close second to Pickard on my list for local courses.

Big Creek:
Well, this course has a hole that will drive you absolutely crazy. "The Freak" is a true test to your mental fortitude. If you can keep it together through all 900 ft of this hole, then the rest of the course is a breeze. This course requires accuracy and then more accuracy. There are very few holes that you should use a driver off the tee. I watched a particular MN D'craft Pro tear the course apart last year by playing quite a few buzzz's off the tee's.

Really, all in all, any one of these courses is would be a treat to play a two rounds tourney on. But if you come play the challenge, you get to play all four in their tournament configurations.

And supposedly the man, the myth, the legend...Dan Beto will be in attendance as well.

Excellent course descriptions! Last year was my first visit to Des Moines while playing the FCC and it was an absolute blast. The TD's did a fantastic job running the show and the local clubs and organiztions had the courses lookin tip top. Took down advanced last year, tryin my luck in the Open class this year!
jamon
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FR Buzzz

Postby victorb » Wed May 18, 2011 2:09 pm

BLURR wrote:
victorb wrote:just signed up today. looking forward to playing some legendary courses! hopefully I play better there than I did in STL.

You won't be sorry. And make sure to bring your canon with. You'll need it.

I do believe there's ProFlight dub's on Friday out at Walnut as well.

unfortunately I don't have a cannon to bring! but hey, I'm sure accuracy counts for something still, right?

I'd love to go get a round or two in on Friday, but I'm not sure right now if I can get off work that day. If I can, I'll try to get out there and pickup a partner for dubs.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 am

Only a few more days to get your registration in for this gem of a tournament.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby BLURR » Mon May 30, 2011 5:18 am

Anybody that came to town for the Challenge...I would like to hear what your thoughts are on the courses here...good or bad. I know the weather didn't cooperate all the time...so that does make it difficult to enjoy the courses.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby victorb » Mon May 30, 2011 7:07 am

I thought the courses were fantastic! Of course, trying to play them blind took a toll over the weekend, and I didn't start off shooting well at Pickard in the rain (couldn't get my footing on approaches and fairway drives) but still had a lot of fun. Ended up working my way up from the bottom of the second to last card after round one to about midfield by the end of the tournament.

I'd say that Ewing was probably my favorite course, it has everything that I would like to see in a good golf course. I'd say that Big Creek was probably my least favorite, mainly due to hole 11 - that hole is just not fair! I did manage an 8, which wasn't that bad after I got a bad tree kick on my 4th shot and had to roll out. I like the rest of the course really, it just sucks trying to play catch up knowing that hole is probably a bad score, no matter what.

I'll definitely be making a return trip to play them next year. The drive isn't that bad, and the courses are indeed World Class, just like George Smith has been telling me all spring.

victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Tue May 31, 2011 7:11 am

Yeah...hole 11 at BC is always a round killer for me. I think in the past 20 rounds I've played there, I think I have averaged about a 7 on that damn thing. The second shot is very key (As long as you throw your tee shot in the fairway).

Glad you liked the courses. It was too bad that you guys got hampered by the rain off and on over the weekend.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Return to Tournaments