Good or Bad Form when Hawking Discs...

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby mothrows » Wed Mar 15, 2006 9:05 am

I agree with you. Making a single announcement is fine.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:04 am

42 is the meaning of life, or so says deep thought. (I'm 35, not 42 if that's why you asked) Since enjoying the life you've been given is, in my opinion, the meaning of life, and I can think of no better way to enjoy life than on a disc golf course, I am discmonkey42.

You should thank the people who had a problem with your post. As usual, the people who are far too concerned with what other people are doing have brought more publicity and attention to the thing they hate by crying like a little girl about it. The fact that they have nothing better to do than whine and complain about a single post on a message board that actually relates to the product is funny to me. In fact, as a new Gateway thrower, I'll probably be calling you just to pi$$ those people off.

By the way, what do those folks have to say about half of the signatures on message boards containing a web link to that person's business??? Isn't that the same thing? To top this off, I have a website that sells disc stuff and I have not and will not mention it on the message boards because I don't feel comfortable doing that. I don't, however, have a problem with you doing it. Congrats on putting fortht the effort to start your own biz. That is a big step in life and this is not the last time someone will try and knock you down. Stick to it and good luck!

Now, let's get back to promoting disc golf positively like we should be doing, not arguing like a bunch of school kids. :wink: :D :D
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:27 am

"42 is the meaning of life"

Is there something I could read? This sounds interesting...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Re: Good or Bad Form when Hawking Discs...

Postby garublador » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:42 am

Jwt4412 wrote:Your opinions would be greatly appreciated. Irritating people makes it hard to sell them things...

So was this a lie? Did you really want to hear our opinions just so you have an excuse to go off those that disagree with your tactics?

Your example of what Toyota did is a bad analogy. People don't buy cars from Toyota, they buy them from dealers. You're a dealer, not a manufacturer.

I agree that it is effective, that's why people do it. I'm just saying that I don't like these types of tactics and I choose to buy from stores that don't do stuff like that. I wouldn't give my business to a store that put a flyer on my car either. I know this type of advertising is effective, but I find it annoying.

You specifically asked for our opinions on these matters and I think it's in very bad form to lash out at those of us who are giving our opinions.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby garublador » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:44 am

Jwt4412 wrote:"42 is the meaning of life"

Is there something I could read? This sounds interesting...

It's from the "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" series (in multiple media) by Douglas Adams. They recently made the first book into a movie:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0371724/
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Tim H » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:46 am

I thought 42 was the answer to everything, according to "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"? I can't remember exactly.
Tim H
Noob

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:12 pm

So was this a lie? Did you really want to hear our opinions just so you have an excuse to go off those that disagree with your tactics?

No Gar,

I value the opinion... I've learned from it... I understand it...

It wasn't an "East Coast" thing. It was a sponsored board that I didn't see that was sponsored cuz I didn't enter through the main page and there are people in other parts of the country that would feel the same way about it. Heck, I am just fascinated and awe struck that there is a disc golf club out there that is big enough to be able to charge an advertising fee for their message boards.

The club I am active with just ain't that big... but now I have something to aim for and know what could be...

And in no way am I saying their/your reaction is wrong - I just wouldn't call it spam.

No worries...

Valid and valued opinions all...

Still smilin'
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:35 pm

HitchHikers Guide series is excellent. Great reading, OK movie. Only books to really make me laugh out loud regularly. Gotta be a fan of English humor to enjoy it, though. Back to the thread....
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:40 pm

To the bookstore with me then...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:20 am

You know we here kiddos talking about "old school". Well this is old school: Having to drive for 2 hours to find a disc vendor. Prior to this, I would drive to Austin (5 hours) and would purchase from a guy (moody) who had a cart outside peas park and some guy on a blanket at Sea Right.

There were some retailers to buy some, but at the time we just couldn't afford it. Does anyone remember Play It Again Sports? Ah yes! Used discs.

Check for this: are the people giving you grief sponsored? Years ago, the only ones that cared that I bought from a guy who had discs layed out on a blanket were sponored players.

If what you're doing is legal, who cares what others think?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to General Discussion