Go with the FLOW

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Go with the FLOW

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:17 am

I love it, Latitude takes the Opto's from domey(good) to flat (suck) and takes the Gold Lines from flat(suck) to domey(good).
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby emiller3 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:06 am

Smyith wrote:
emiller3 wrote:Flat = flippy

like bad flippy or only a lil flippy?

A lot flippy. But not squirely. At my high altitude, it's a good flippy. I'll be taking it to sea level next week, I suspect it'll be good for hyzer flip turnovers with some height but not much else.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby discspeed » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:55 am

Flat GL Fuses are definitely flippy, but they are my favorites. I use Buzzzes for most straight shots, so I want my Fuse to be purely understable. The flat GL gives me this stability as well as feeling a lot like my Buzzzes in the hand. Domey Fuses are much more Comet-like in stability and flight character.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby emiller3 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:11 pm

discspeed, you're getting your Lat threads mixed up :wink:

As far as my bag goes, the new and seasoned Pro Destroyer are out, the E* Destroyer and Flow are back in, gonna see how much I like it. The Valk is still my distance driver for everything except wide open max D or hyzer max D.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Peot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:09 pm

171 GL Midnight Blue shift and a 172 poppy top Yellow Opto just arrived... testing these out alongside Champ/Star/DX Wraith and a SOLF. Any chance I could use both the Wraiths and Flows or is that excessive?
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:14 pm

Peot wrote:171 GL Midnight Blue shift and a 172 poppy top Yellow Opto just arrived... testing these out alongside Champ/Star/DX Wraith and a SOLF. Any chance I could use both the Wraiths and Flows or is that excessive?

They are pretty similar all around...Definitely in the same speed and stability class.
discspeed

Postby Peot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:30 pm

In my limited trial with one of these GL ones about a month ago, it has a notch more HSS, less LSS and a lot more glide than a Wraith. For someone who isn't ready for a Force/PD2 or something is a heavy, fresh premium plastic Wraith different enough from a Flow to be used in a more aggressive headwind?
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby what'shisname » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Peot wrote:In my limited trial with one of these GL ones about a month ago, it has a notch more HSS, less LSS and a lot more glide than a Wraith. For someone who isn't ready for a Force/PD2 or something is a heavy, fresh premium plastic Wraith different enough from a Flow to be used in a more aggressive headwind?

I'm not overly familiar with Wraiths but I do throw Flows for distance and wouldn't throw an Opto Flow in to a heavy headwind and wouldn't even think about the GL Flow into the wind. The Opto Flow will handle a decent wind, but when faced with heavy headwind I'll usually disc down to a stable SPD or if it's really windy and I need Max D I'll pull out the C-PD2.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby discspeed » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:52 pm

what'shisname wrote:
Peot wrote:In my limited trial with one of these GL ones about a month ago, it has a notch more HSS, less LSS and a lot more glide than a Wraith. For someone who isn't ready for a Force/PD2 or something is a heavy, fresh premium plastic Wraith different enough from a Flow to be used in a more aggressive headwind?

I'm not overly familiar with Wraiths but I do throw Flows for distance and wouldn't throw an Opto Flow in to a heavy headwind and wouldn't even think about the GL Flow into the wind. The Opto Flow will handle a decent wind, but when faced with heavy headwind I'll usually disc down to a stable SPD or if it's really windy and I need Max D I'll pull out the C-PD2.

GL Flows are not inherently less HSS than Optos. I've had some domey GL Flows that actually penetrated the wind a little better than my optos...They were also 176g. All around the Flow is workable in 5-10mph headwinds, but not much more. This is not so different from the Wraith. There are runs of stiff, poppy top Star Wraiths that fare better into headwinds, but they are not easy to track down. If you have the arm for the Flow then you probably need something more stable to use for wind, and the same is true for the Wraith. Both are high speed turning drivers that fade late, and that's not necessarily a recipe for success in the wind.
discspeed

Postby Booter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:14 pm

My fresh domey optos can handle some wind but I use a aj destroyer when its too windy for my . Any windier than 20mph I usually bust out a flat cpd2
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Peot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:48 pm

discspeed wrote:
what'shisname wrote:

GL Flows are not inherently less HSS than Optos. I've had some domey GL Flows that actually penetrated the wind a little better than my optos...They were also 176g. All around the Flow is workable in 5-10mph headwinds, but not much more. This is not so different from the Wraith. There are runs of stiff, poppy top Star Wraiths that fare better into headwinds, but they are not easy to track down. If you have the arm for the Flow then you probably need something more stable to use for wind, and the same is true for the Wraith. Both are high speed turning drivers that fade late, and that's not necessarily a recipe for success in the wind.

Yeah. I never have any problem getting Flows up to speed. My GL I'd rate at a -2/1 and the Opto at a -1.5/1.5. I just got a 1.2 SOLF that I'm auditioning for my longer stable driver, and so far it's been easy to throw straight with a gradual, penetrating (I guess advertised) long fade. I think a Q might be better for stiffer winds, but I also had some success throwing a Z Pred for the first time today as well.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby turso » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 am

@Discspeed

Did the deflashing of the FR opto flows make em lose just LSS or both HSS and LSS?
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby discspeed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:13 am

turso wrote:@Discspeed

Did the deflashing of the FR opto flows make em lose just LSS or both HSS and LSS?

They lost both HSS and LSS, but the LSS was more noticeable.
discspeed

Postby Booter » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:51 am

Anybody want to give up any opaque pink or yellow opto flows? :)
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:07 am

Booter wrote:Anybody want to give up any opaque pink or yellow opto flows? :)

Marshall St is drowning in those.

Actually, not sure about pinks... but yellows and blues for sure! The good opaques too, not the shitty clearish green/orange/pink flat top Flows that suck balls.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment