I would like to politely discuss discspeed's disc mod

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: I would like to politely discuss discspeed's disc mod

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue May 31, 2011 10:24 am

The baseball glove is more like a disc golf bag. It might need some breaking in to feel comfotable for holding the projectiles being thrown. However, I don't believe you are allowed to scuff up the baseball or slip a little nose grease (or worse) on it to affect the flight characteristics.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby hegemony » Tue May 31, 2011 10:38 am

some pitchers do rub dirt on brand new balls on the mound quite regularly.

It may just be a bad analogy...
hegemony
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 31, 2011 10:41 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:The baseball glove is more like a disc golf bag. It might need some breaking in to feel comfotable for holding the projectiles being thrown. However, I don't believe you are allowed to scuff up the baseball or slip a little nose grease (or worse) on it to affect the flight characteristics.

Every ball is rubbed down with dirt by some poor grounds crew person before each game.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue May 31, 2011 10:59 am

Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby hegemony » Tue May 31, 2011 11:16 am

Not to argue with the rules guy, but...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/of ... ries_3.jsp

3.01(c)
Receive from the home club a supply of regulation baseballs, the number and make to be certified to the home club by the league president. The umpire shall inspect the baseballs and ensure they are regulation baseballs and that they are properly rubbed so that the gloss is removed. The umpire shall be the sole judge of the fitness of the balls to be used in the game;

Then 3.02
No player shall intentionally discolor or damage the ball by rubbing it with soil, rosin, paraffin, licorice, sand-paper, emery-paper or other foreign substance.
PENALTY: The umpire shall demand the ball and remove the offender from the game. In addition, the offender shall be suspended automatically for 10 games. For rules in regard to a pitcher defacing the ball, see Rules 8.02(a)(2) through (6).

So, the baseball is rubbed down from it's factory condition for use in the game, however further modification is disallowed. Thus my post above is slightly inaccurate. It's the umpire that rubs down the ball.
hegemony
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 31, 2011 12:09 pm

Considering each game uses like 12 dozen balls, the umpire just checks to make sure the MLB official mud has been rubbed on properly. They pawn that job off on a kid making $7 an hour. Each pitcher likes a different amount of mud rubbed on the ball beforehand and usually want more instead of less making the ball harder to see.

Chuck Kennedy wrote:http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/1073725

Yes, I know what scuffing the ball is but I was letting you know that balls are also broken in before being used. This is also true of footballs.
Frank Delicious

Postby ArcheType » Tue May 31, 2011 12:15 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Yes, I know what scuffing the ball is but I was letting you know that balls are also broken in before being used. This is also true of footballs.

This isn't always true of footballs. Big games, like the super bowl, use a new ball every down to have more to sell. Lots of QBs bitch because the balls are always slick and impossible to get used to.
ArcheType
Noob

Favorite Disc: Voodoo<3

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 31, 2011 12:20 pm

The Superbowl doesn't let teams prepare balls beforehand? I thought each team got an allotment of footballs and then the QB worked them in/had some scrub work them in for them even for big games like the Superbowl and the amount was just way more than normal.

fun fact: Jay Cutler loves his balls slick and brand new. He doesn't work them in at all.
Frank Delicious

Postby ArcheType » Tue May 31, 2011 12:24 pm

Not according to players in interviews. I've seen Brady, Manning, and Rothlesberger (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) all bitch about the balls being slick.

fun fact: Jay Cutler sucks. :lol:
ArcheType
Noob

Favorite Disc: Voodoo<3

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue May 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Did not know that about the big games. That is pretty weird though since they get to do it for all the regular season games.
Frank Delicious

Postby Pwingles » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:16 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hW4k2d0Iln4

also there was an episode of Dirty Jobs where they discussed the mud, where it came from, how they got it, etc etc

anyway, disc golf

the question to me is where do you draw the line? and outside of adding weight or cutting chunks out, what un-natural effect would it have?

To me as long as its something that would occur naturally over a period of time, I dont mind people doing it i.e. flexing a disc repeatedly, using sandpaper or concrete to remove flashing, throwing a disc into a tree or wall all these things will result in the disc mimicking extended use and so to me its not a terrible offense.

Against the rules, technically yes. Am I going to confront you about it? Not likely.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Dbuntu » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:35 pm

So if I get a big gash in a disc by throwing it into a tree, am I allowed to melt the plastic back together or use heat to soften up the lips on discs? It's not necessarily a speeding up of a natural process and is definitely post factory modification. But then, I only play casually when I have time to so it's not really an issue for me I'm just curious.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Triflusal » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:45 pm

EDIT:never mind
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Postby jenb » Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:14 pm

:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby isobar » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:58 pm

That really still doesn't answer the question, as it is still left up to the TD to decide. Then again, there will never be an answer to this as like people have said there is no way to really determine how a disc was broken in, whether it was natural throwing, or manually working it in.

I have thrown many a disc that have skipped on pavement, things like sidewalks, bike roads and even parking lots... so i am not too concerned about manually rubbing it into pavement to scrape it up some. I don't think that does too much more damage then rubbing it against a tree.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion