good side arm disc?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

good side arm disc?

Postby gfreshy67 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:37 pm

i have been playing for a couple of months now and i mainly throw sidearm. when i throw my drive it will curve to the left and then slowly come back to the right. i am able to throw a left curve over a short distance but i want a disc that will curve to the left without sacrificing my distance. what would you recommend?

thanks
gfreshy67
Noob

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Sep 15, 2004 10:53 pm

Discs that will curve left with a sidearm throw are gonna be things like
Polaris LS (Beat in)
Stingray
Archangel
JLS (beat in)
Valkyrie will, but depends how its thrown.
XL will turn about the same as the Valkyrie
lighter Beast will turn over some.
Stratus also

Any discs thats beat up some will begin to become more understable as it ages. This is when you say the disc is "Turning over"

Stingray is going to be one of discs that turns over the most. All depends on your preference. I mainly drive sidearm out of preference and ability to control my drives a little more than my backhand drives, even tho Blake_T enjoys badgering me about it.
In all honestly you should try to work on your backhands a bit. Even sidearm is mainly how I drive, I can honestly say that if that was my only throw then I'd be screwed.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Chucknplastic » Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:19 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:In all honestly you should try to work on your backhands a bit. Even sidearm is mainly how I drive, I can honestly say that if that was my only throw then I'd be screwed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^66
Chucknplastic
Noob

Postby gfreshy67 » Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:48 pm

thanks for the list of discs. i will see how i like them. i do know how to throw a backhand pretty well, i just prefer the distance and acuracy i can get with my sidearm.
gfreshy67
Noob

Good Side arm Disc

Postby Mr_doug » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:16 am

Hey all I just joined because I am a sidearm thrower and I am always looking for tips to get even a few feet more out of a throw. I know BH is supposed to be the way but in my group I am the only main Sidearm thrower and I beat them all up. LOL

IMHO the best sidearm disc for a very long driver is the Innnova Champ Sidewinder. I have a 166g and it is a DREAM. I also have a 175 Champ Orc that is great for RH doglegs but the Champ Sidewinder does the things I need more often. It will do a left hook with litle effort and with a really good snap send off it can fly straight and true with only a small fade at the end. I am by no means a pro (4 months in sport) but I was able to talk to some old players at a tourney they had in my area and they turned me on to the Sidewinder and for me Nothing can touch its flight and glide path.
Mr_doug
Noob

Return to Technique