Pulling to the right/foot positioning

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Pulling to the right/foot positioning

Postby clard » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:40 am

For the last month or so I've been changing the hell out of my throw to try to get more distance (with mixed results), and I have started to release the disc further to the right (throwing RHBH) than I was before. However, those throws when the disc goes a bit further to the right it tends to go further.

After watching some videos, I've noticed that when most of the pros x step on a drive their last step is not straight at the target but off to the left of the target a bit. What about when standing still? Should I be lining my feet up straight at the target or is it ok to line up left a bit of the target? I'm basically wondering if this pulling off to the right is indicative of bad form or if it's ok and I'm lining up incorrectly.
clard
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Pulling to the right/foot positioning

Postby seabas22 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:00 pm

Planting further left helps get you more backwards(butt facing target) toward the target and this also helps on standstills and annys. Plant too far right and you will tend to open your shoulders early pulling shots right. It sounds like you are getting the gist of it, but your timing/aim is off a little. Play around with the plant position and x-step position(more backwards), typically want to plant left for annys to flat, and more inline for hyzer.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby clard » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:09 am

Thanks for the reply. It doesn't feel wrong so I'm going to assume it's ok, and it makes sense that it would help to get my back towards the target more.
clard
Noob

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:08 am

I found that once I started hitting the 400' barrier that I had aim more to the left of my target as well. Once I started getting closer to hitting it and following through properly my discs were going more to the right.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JR » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:03 pm

Sean40474 wrote:I found that once I started hitting the 400' barrier that I had aim more to the left of my target as well. Once I started getting closer to hitting it and following through properly my discs were going more to the right.

Not sure if this should happen not my experience. Maybe this holds true if you don't emphasize pulling in a straight line.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby zj1002 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:28 pm

yeah that seems counter to what I do. Hitting is all the same no matter where you aim. the ability to hit on all the lines will make you good. I am left and right around objects by using my body. My pull is almost always the same, I just change my run up direction and shoulder angles.

as for pros planting to the left. generally when I have thrown distance lines I will land like this. For me it creates better body positioning for flex shots and hyzer flips. it shouldn't be done on every type of shot. You can't really throw smooth flat shots or big hyzers by planting to the left. learn how to move on all sides of the box, it will only make you better.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby clard » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:50 am

sounds good, thanks for all the advice!
clard
Noob

Return to Technique