My tournament/mini bag... Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

My tournament/mini bag... Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Postby LADG Jones » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:13 am

I don't throw much high speed stuff at all so the majority of my bag are what I'd consider fairway drivers...

PUTTERS:

175 Champ Rhyno, short putts on windy days
174 MVP Soft Ion, my go to putter for everything 30-100 feet.
175 MVP Medium Ion, mainly used for drives on short holes or dead straight tunnel shots between 175-200

MIDS:

176 ESP Buzzz, somewhat beat, basically used for dead straight shots anywhere from 150-300
177 Z Buzzz, brand new, a little more stable if I need it to finish left (RHBH)
179 MVP Vector, new, stable as helll, with moderate wind and can get it out as far as some of my drivers. Love these things.
175 ESP/Flx Drone, short approaches on windy days where I need to get around trees/bushes, rescue shots

FAIRWAY DRIVERS:

These should be pretty self explanatory to anyone on these forums

172 Champ 11x Teebird, beat in to perfection
170 Champ 12x Teebird, new
171 OLD Champ Leopard x-out but still not too beat at all, one of my favorites.
172 Lat. 64 Gold Line Striker, to me flies like a slightly more stable Teebird with a more comfortable grip (for my big ass hands anyway)
166 Lat. 64 Gold Line Striker, will go to this one if the wind is calm or tailwind for bombs
172 Lat. 64 Gold Line River, dead nuts straight if released with just a bit of hyzer, very little fade and will glide FOREVER.
170 Lat. 64 Opto Line Vision, mainly just used as a backhand roller on tight/long tunnels or when I'm tired and don't feel like chucking a fast driver lol
172 Lat. 64 Gold Line Vision, a little more stable, used mainly to hyzer flip to dead straight and count on it not to fade much at all for me
174 Lat. 64 Gold Line Trident, meathook stable, usually only used for skip shots under/around hazards from '150 in

THE FAST STUFF:

169 Lat. 64 Halo, long smooth hyzers or release it flat and watch it bomb dead nuts straight with a good amount of low speed fade
168 Lat. 64 Havoc, longest driver in my bag, hyzer flipped for wide open fairways and max distance
171 Lat. 64 Flow, big annies and... that's about it.
171 Champ Tim Selinske Katana, basically my other go to bomber that sits right next to my Havoc, just has a bit better grip
173 Champ 11x Firebird, thumbers/spike hyzers
174 Champ first run Ape, only pulled out when the wind gets too heavy for my Lat. stuff.
175 Champ Wraith, forehand bombs, period.

I know that's entirely too many discs and there's gotta be some overlap but I know what each and every disc does for me so I've stuck with this lineup for a couple months now and it's worked beautifully, but like I said any input is appreciated. Feel like the Wraith and Xcal may be overlapping a bit.

Got the new Lat. 64 Bolt (two of them actually lol) auditioning to see where it stands, but field throws are telling me it's pretty damn flippy to be a distance driver. Also testing out the Vibram V.P. and Vibram Summit for putts. So far I love the way the Summit works as a mid/short range driver up to 200'.
11x FIREBIRDS - KC PRO TEEBIRDS - VISIONS - RIVERS - WRAITHS - FR BOSS - PRO LINE MONSTER
BUZZZ - VECTOR - CORE
WIZARD - WIZARD- AND UH... WIZARD

Brand loyalty is ridiculous.
LADG Jones
Noob

Favorite Disc: Opto Vision

Re: My tournament/mini bag... Any help/thoughts appreciated.

Postby Nick M » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:33 am

I don't think the Wraith and Xcal overlap. I find Wraiths to be flippy and Xcals are stable as hell. I have had freakishly stable wraiths before new but once beaten in they get flippy. Some of my longest shots have been with beat up flippy star wraiths around 169-171. The Xcal is a fantastic wind beater, long hyzer and side arm disc.

Just for reference, how far is your average drive? That could help us out with input on your bag.
Nick M
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby LADG Jones » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Well I have two Wraiths, one is absurdly stable and the other, not so much, both newish. And average drive, as in just stepping up and not having to put much effort into it, 325-350, if I really need to get one out there, 400-420 or so. I only play 5 different courses on a regular basis (I average 5-6 rounds a week) and only one of them has holes 375+ so I don't throw a lot of very fast stuff since I can get my Teebirds/Strikers/Rivers and even Visions if hyzer flipped out to around 325. I added an 11x Eagle X to my bag this past week and have been using it for the same types of shots too. Pulled the Ape out of my bag as I feel it and the Xcal were a definite overlap the Ape is just faster and only slightly more stable since it hasn't seen a lot of action... Just saw that I didn't put my Xcals on my list lol. One Champ First Run, 175, the other is 171 Champion.

Edit: And yeah as you said, my Xcal comes out every single time I need a long forehand left to right fading shot, it and my super stable Champ Wraith are my go to discs for forehand shots. Occasionally I'll forehand the Havoc but that's only if I only need a slight left to right finish (right handed obviously). I just find throwing forehand on left to right shots much more comfortable than having to rely on my jenky ass anhyzer shot.
11x FIREBIRDS - KC PRO TEEBIRDS - VISIONS - RIVERS - WRAITHS - FR BOSS - PRO LINE MONSTER
BUZZZ - VECTOR - CORE

LADG Jones
Noob

Postby Nick M » Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:43 pm

I'd say pick the Eagle X or Striker with what you already have. I'm an Eagle X man myself, haven't thrown the Striker but I know that they are similar. The Teebird will handle shots that need a little more stability then the Eagle. About the Vibram putters, I love them. I have a VP, amazing hyzer, approach and wind putter. I can nail putts with it with crazy headwinds, where my Wizards struggle. I love the Ridge too, just less stable then the VP, amazing approach disc. With the windy conditions in OK I could see the VP being useful but you would have to chose that or the Rhyno in my opinion. I dropped the Ape myself, it goes far but takes too much effort. As far as overstable wind beaters, have you ever thrown a Predator? Its longer then the Trident, super stable and you can power down on it nicely for hyzer approaches and get out of trouble shots.
Nick M
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby LADG Jones » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:34 pm

Nick M wrote:I'd say pick the Eagle X or Striker with what you already have. I'm an Eagle X man myself, haven't thrown the Striker but I know that they are similar. The Teebird will handle shots that need a little more stability then the Eagle. About the Vibram putters, I love them. I have a VP, amazing hyzer, approach and wind putter. I can nail putts with it with crazy headwinds, where my Wizards struggle. I love the Ridge too, just less stable then the VP, amazing approach disc. With the windy conditions in OK I could see the VP being useful but you would have to chose that or the Rhyno in my opinion. I dropped the Ape myself, it goes far but takes too much effort. As far as overstable wind beaters, have you ever thrown a Predator? Its longer then the Trident, super stable and you can power down on it nicely for hyzer approaches and get out of trouble shots.

Yes, I have a Predator it's just not currently in the bag, I mainly used it for Thumbers where a Flick has taken over. And the Trident is on my list to stay haha. I love my GL Trident. Reminds me a LOT of the 11x KC Pro Banshees, great for skip shots or when I want to go around a big Cedar or the like from around 150' in. I don't use it much if at all for drives, it's mainly an approach disc for me.

I might bring the Z-Pred back into the bag for a few weeks with how windy it's been lately. I remember liking it a lot for <200' forehand approaches that dog legged right on some of the more wooded courses I play. They definitely hold a tight line.
BUZZZ - VECTOR - CORE

LADG Jones
Noob

Postby LADG Jones » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Picked up a small bag for casual rounds and currently carrying:

11x Champ Aviar, 175 pretty stiff, pretty stable.
Soft Ion, 174, not stable at all with how windy it's been, short/tailwind putts only lately.
ESP Buzzz, well seasoned
179 Vector, super stable
C-MD2, somewhere in between the Buzzz and Vector
Opto Striker
Opto Flow
Opto Vision
11x Champ Eagle
Star Katana
FLX Avenger SS.

It's served me pretty damn well actually. I think I'm going to try and carry just this (with backups of all listed discs other than the putters) at the next tourney here in a few weeks.
BUZZZ - VECTOR - CORE

LADG Jones
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion