Putting from Crouching Position

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putting from Crouching Position

Postby practically invincible » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:24 am

It's reached the point on my home course where I can drive to within a reasonable birdie distance of about 30 feet on about 10 of 18 holes. The issue I'm seeing a lot is being just under one of the many big ol pine trees that are very close to the baskets. Most have branches high enough up that I can crouch underneath, but the problem is I rely a lot on weight transfer in my putting and I can't get the oomph I need, and maintain accuracy, while crouched. Just wondering what techniques you guys like to use for those weird spots?
The only disc I throw well consistently is my lucky Wizard.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Re: Putting from Crouching Position

Postby Dig It » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:10 pm

In these situations I usually switch to a straddle putt. Even though I don't straddle as my main putting vehicle I do practice it when I practice putting.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby inthedrift » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:54 pm

Try messing with your nose angles on these putts and maybe going to more of a spin putt. I think you'd be surprised how far you can power a putt under a low ceiling this way.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Mark Ellis » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:59 pm

practically invincible wrote:It's reached the point on my home course where I can drive to within a reasonable birdie distance of about 30 feet on about 10 of 18 holes. The issue I'm seeing a lot is being just under one of the many big ol pine trees that are very close to the baskets. Most have branches high enough up that I can crouch underneath, but the problem is I rely a lot on weight transfer in my putting and I can't get the oomph I need, and maintain accuracy, while crouched. Just wondering what techniques you guys like to use for those weird spots?

Do what you have to do, including turning sideways and throwing it forehand or backhand. Not everyone is blessed with a great wrist. The rest of us have to adjust and find a way to become effective. With enough practice most shots can be developed.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Star Shark » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:51 am

I'm not sure if we're talking about squatting or kneeling. I throw kneeling putts all the time and you can get a little weight transfer on those shots but to get any kind of distance you're just going to have to put more snap/spin on it. I borrowed my kneeling putt style from Des Reading. Saw her throw a kneeling putt on hole 4 of 03 Worlds finals and liked it.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Dag » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:17 am

Another option to consider when putting or throwing from a disadvantaged position would be using a lightweight disc. I've been using a <150g putter for putt and approach shots where I can't get much momentum into the throw. My less than stellar wrist plus an inch or two of forearm movement will easily net me effective range for a 30' putt. Whether I make it or not....
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby Dookville » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:14 pm

If you are hunched over under a bush, try letting yourself go down to one knee to give yoursefl a little more upper body movement and work on it. If you can pull off a spin putt with a little tail up aiming at the top of the chains you should get a good arm extention.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby Mike C » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:44 am

I throw RHBH. What I do on a similar hole on my home course is put my left knee on the ground and keep my right knee up with that foot planted firmly on the ground. Then I rotate my body body a little like on a short approach and use a lot of spin to keep the disc floating in the air while only 4 or 5' high, which is all this particular hole allows me. If I make it, it feels great, if it blows past it sucks :P Aim well if you do this.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby JHern » Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:19 pm

Kneeling putts are an essential skill on many courses I've played. It definitely favors a spin putt-like throw.

Incorporate it into your practice routine. Most people practice putting in the wide open, in their preferred stance, under the most ideal conditions they could ever experience, but which are rarely realized on the course.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:22 pm

JHern wrote:Kneeling putts are an essential skill on many courses I've played. It definitely favors a spin putt-like throw.

Incorporate it into your practice routine. Most people practice putting in the wide open, in their preferred stance, under the most ideal conditions they could ever experience, but which are rarely realized on the course.

True but you can give yourself a break on longer shots if you drop the arm from Doss like aiming along the center line of the disc (visually aiming that is) to almost touching the ground and immediately raising the arm like in a loft putt going spin putt only in the end. Thus you get a rising momentum and more arm acceleration room for more speed as well. Or you could do this to reduce the amount of needed arm speed. the advantage is more controlled muscles under lesser strain and a quarter elevator type of flight that won't blow by far if you are at close to maximum range. I've had weird issues doing this and standing up using a Yeti Aviar and airballing it far when i'm close 15-25' so it gets getting used to.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Apothecary » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:55 pm

jr: that was a lot of nonsense.

op: practice putting with all arm from the belt buckle with no weight shift. if you can learn how to get a nice pop with that technique it will translate to being able to do the same shot from a knee when it counts. ;)
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby JR » Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:16 pm

Apothecary wrote:jr: that was a lot of nonsense.

op: practice putting with all arm from the belt buckle with no weight shift. if you can learn how to get a nice pop with that technique it will translate to being able to do the same shot from a knee when it counts. ;)

Oh the self assuredness of youth. What do you think my regular style was for years?

A little hint because you seem to be confused so often: If the world seems like a chaotic place that you don't understand you would be right often and wrong quite often as well. Just because you don't understand something it doesn't mean that it isn't correct. Your bullshit indicator gets more accurate when you study a lot. If momentum, a term in physics, of the arm going from low to high means nothing to you it isn't coming from fools in the world doing chaotic things. It comes from the chaos of your head. You've been getting high on your own supply too much in favor of reading physics this time.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique