Help solidifying bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help solidifying bag

Postby MDP » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Here's my current bag:

Distance Drivers:
Champion Ape - 175g - Very overstable, big hyzers, flex shots, headwind
*Empty slot*
P-Line DD2 - 171g - Max distance, some finess shots, tailwind
DX Orc - 170g - Very beat, turnover shots

Fairway Drivers:
Champion Firebird - 175g - Spike hyzers, headwinds, flex shots
Champion TeeBird - 172g - Stable control driver
SE Leopard - 170-ish g - Very beat, shorter turnover drives, finess shots

Midrange:
DX Roc - 180g - Slightly overstable, hyzer lines, flex shots
Elite X Buzzz - 173g - Stable, main approach/off the tee midrange
DX Stingray - 171g - Understable, turnover shots, hyzer flips

Putt & Approach:
Pro Rhyno - 172g - Short hyzer drives/approaches, flex shots, utility
SS Wizard - 175g - Dedicated putter
SS Wizard - 175g - Somewhat beat, very straight
DX XD - 171g - Understable approach (holding spot until Wizard gets more beat)

I'm looking fill in the empty slot with a Star Starfire and replace the beat in Orc with Vision or something similar. I mainly throw RHBH (~400) but I have a decent side arm as well (~350) but at the moment I don't have a consistent disc to throw sidearm so I'm hoping the Starfire will fill that as well as the slightly overstable spot for long hyzers and mild headwinds for RHBH.

I'm also working on some more model overlap but I'm very good at losing discs, so it's taking a while to break in some of the newer ones.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Re: Help solidifying bag

Postby Apothecary » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:18 pm

im of the philosophy that one should never be reliant on a "beat in" or "seasoned" disc. the better disc companies are consistent enough that you really dont have to anymore. try a gl vision for your flippy fairway slot.

before i make further recommendations, tell me more about your flex shots. whats your angle of release look like? how far out are you getting your ape on that line? i dont normally think of really overstable discs like the ape as a flex shot disc.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby MDP » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:27 pm

Apothecary wrote:im of the philosophy that one should never be reliant on a "beat in" or "seasoned" disc. the better disc companies are consistent enough that you really dont have to anymore. try a gl vision for your flippy fairway slot.

before i make further recommendations, tell me more about your flex shots. whats your angle of release look like? how far out are you getting your ape on that line? i dont normally think of really overstable discs like the ape as a flex shot disc.

Maybe I'm using the term wrong (I've also heard them called 'turnaround' shots).

I release it out of my hand with anhyzer (15-30degrees depending on the shot) and let the disc flatten out of the anhyzer and then fade left at the end. Sort of like forcing an 'S' curve out of it. I usually end up around 350-375 with the Ape. In all honesty, it might be a bit too fast of a disc for me, but as it's breaking in, I'm liking it more.

Edit:
Is the Vision closer to a fairway driver distance? From what I've read it seemed like it would fit in the turnover distance driver slot. My Orc is much more inconsistent than the Leopard so I'm really looking to get something to replace it.
Last edited by MDP on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby Apothecary » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:40 pm

weird. you should try that same line with a flow...but release with 15* or so of hyzer instead and let the disc do the work for you. driving with that much anny out of the hand is really risky.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby MDP » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:49 pm

Apothecary wrote:weird. you should try that same line with a flow...but release with 15* or so of hyzer instead and let the disc do the work for you. driving with that much anny out of the hand is really risky.

I do that (hyzer flip) shot with my DD2 (which if I remember right is similar to the Flow). The shot I described isn't a pure distance shot, it's more of a get around obstacles shot. The course I play the most has a number of holes with one or two trees in the fairway and depending on their placement, pure distance lines aren't readily available.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby MDP » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:40 pm

UPDATE: New Discs

Trying to limit the number of models while still getting all the shots I need. Traded some of the faster discs that I had (Bosses, Ape) for hopefully some more controllable consistent discs.

Distance Drivers:
C-PD2 *Waiting on order* - Overstable
P-PD2 175g - Slightly overstable
P-DD2 171g - Distance
Opto Vision 173g - Turnover

Fairway Drivers:
Champion FireBird 174g - Overstable
Champion TeeBird 170g - Stable/control
DX TeeBird 168g - Turnover

Midrange:
DX Roc 180g - Overstable
Glow Roc 180g - Stable
DX Roc 172g - Turnover

Putt & Approach:
Pro Rhyno 172g - Slightly overstable
OS Wizard 171g - Stable
SS Wizard 175g - Understable
SS Wizard 172g - Dedicated putter

Summary
14 Discs
8 Molds (PD2, DD2, Vision, FireBird, TeeBird, Roc, Rhyno, Wizard)
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby MDP » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:13 pm

Wooo...slightly different...feeling fairly confident with my current bag:

Distance Drivers:
PD2 C-Line - 175g : Very Overstable
PD2 P-Line - 175g : Slightly Overstable/Sidearm distance
DD2 P-Line - 171g : Distance
Vision Opto - 173g : Turnover

Fairway Drivers:
TeeBird Champ - 175g : Overstable (fresh)
TeeBird Champ - 170g : Stable
TeeBird DX - 168g : Understable (beating in...)

Midrange:
Roc KC Pro - 180g : Overstable (fresh)
Roc DX Backstamp - 180g : Stable
Roc DX - 172g : Understable (beating in)

Putters:
Wizard Organic - 171g : Stable
Wizard SS - 175g : Understable (very beat)
Wizard SS - 172g : Dedicated Putter

Utility:
Firebird Champ - 174g : Spike hyzers/Escape shots
Leopard SE - 171g : Very understable/Escape shots

I'm looking at adding an heavy SSS Wizard for hyzers that I want to stay put, and another SS Wizard as a backup putter. Right now, though, I feel pretty good with what I have.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby Hyzerline49 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:58 pm

the bag looks really good! mold minimalism is very apparent in this bag, yet there are no gaps! have you ever considered something in terms of speed between your dd2 and your teebird? maybe a pd, avenger or starfire?
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby MDP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:46 pm

Lost some discs, discovered the PD...

Trying to drop the high speed stuff until I can throw it more consistently.

Distance Drivers:
PD2 C-Line - 175g : Very overstable
_________________ : Moderately overstable
PD S-Line - 175g : Stable/control
PD P-Line - 168g : Distance
Vision Opto - 173g : Understable/turnover

Fairway Drivers:
TeeBird Champ - 175g : Moderately overstable
TeeBird Champ - 170g : Stable/control
TeeBird DX - 168g : Understable/turnover

Midrange:
Roc KC Pro - 180g : Moderately overstable
Roc DX - 180g : Stable/control
______________ : Understable/turnover

Putters:
_________________ : Moderately overstable
Wizard Organic - 171g : Stable/control
Wizard SS - 175g : Understable/turnover
Wizard SS - 172g : Putter

Utility:
Firebird 11x Champ - 174g
Leopard SE - 171g

Looking to fill the empty driver slot with a C PD. Lost my Roc that I was trying to beat in, probably going to switch to the MD2 for mids since I would like to have the option to flick my mids (anyone want to trade some MD2s for a couple of slightly beat Rocs?). Maybe add a Comet or beat a GM for understable mid.

Looking to drop the PD2 for something a little more workable like a Predator. I wonder if a max weight S DD would be overstable enough?
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:44 pm

why not buy another C PD? you can't flick a Roc? Why keep the TBs at all? why not power down the PD? what are you really looking for in an overstable driver? why not use the FB? the Comet is nice but I would really lump the GM in with it. The MD2 may cover the shots for the Roc and the Comet for you. A max weight DD will not be OS enough. What about a Zone?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Hyzerline49 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm

comet is the way to go! and buzzz's flick pretty well.... but then again, they do everything well!
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Postby MDP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:48 pm

keltik wrote:why not buy another C PD?

For the very overstable slot? I was under the impression that even the C PD wasn't meathook material

keltik wrote:you can't flick a Roc?

I can...just not consistently. I have boney hands and the rim of the Roc tends to catch on knuckle at the base of my index finger on release. Sometimes it works well...sometimes it's like wounded duck...

keltik wrote:Why keep the TBs at all? why not power down the PD?

For whatever reason I'm more confident throwing TB harder than powering down the PD. TB was the first disc I even had and I'm just really comfortable with it. As I get more time with the PDs I may drop TBs (especially if I pick up a long midrange like the GM). I'm not very good and powering stuff down...

keltik wrote:what are you really looking for in an overstable driver? why not use the FB?

I would like something longer than the FB but more controllable than the C-PD2. Pred seemed to fit that bill. My 11x FB just wants to go left out of my hand. Even into headwinds, I can't get it to do much more than fade out at 275-300'.

keltik wrote:the Comet is nice but I would really lump the GM in with it. The MD2 may cover the shots for the Roc and the Comet for you.

Would it work as my only mid model? I was under the impression that they never got truly understable.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby keltik » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:11 pm

MDP wrote:
keltik wrote:why not buy another C PD?

For the very overstable slot? I was under the impression that even the C PD wasn't meathook material
no for the blank spot in your bag. where you lost the first C PD. but rereading your post I realize you plan to do that anyway. but what about a max weight C PD for longer wind duties? the only PD i've ever thrown is a Prot S (christmas stamp).

keltik wrote:you can't flick a Roc?

I can...just not consistently. I have boney hands and the rim of the Roc tends to catch on knuckle at the base of my index finger on release. Sometimes it works well...sometimes it's like wounded duck...

keltik wrote:Why keep the TBs at all? why not power down the PD?

For whatever reason I'm more confident throwing TB harder than powering down the PD. TB was the first disc I even had and I'm just really comfortable with it. As I get more time with the PDs I may drop TBs (especially if I pick up a long midrange like the GM). I'm not very good and powering stuff down...

keltik wrote:what are you really looking for in an overstable driver? why not use the FB?

I would like something longer than the FB but more controllable than the C-PD2. Pred seemed to fit that bill. My 11x FB just wants to go left out of my hand. Even into headwinds, I can't get it to do much more than fade out at 275-300'.
Try a max weight C PD. but the Pred is a cool disc.

keltik wrote:the Comet is nice but I would really lump the GM in with it. The MD2 may cover the shots for the Roc and the Comet for you.

Would it work as my only mid model? I was under the impression that they never got truly understable.

I did say may. I'm not sure but if you like the Roc (and from your vids I can see you throw it well) just stay with it and add the Comet. you won't be disappointed with the Comet. and just learn to flick the Roc.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Pick up a 175 CFR C PD for the VOS slot - suuuuper flat and stiff. I know you said you wanted a very-overstable driver that doesn't just want to go left out of your hand, but that's what that slot is for. Besides, I don't really throw my C PD backhand - I use it for specialty shots like thumbers and forehand shots that need lateral distance on the fade. I got mine $20 shipped from Finland. I think you can find ones in the US, but I'm not sure if they are much cheaper. Make sure its stiff and flat before you buy it, otherwise you will have another gummy C PD to overlap your S PD.

Our bags are somewhat similar. My slots are as follows:

Distance - 172 Star Beast
Very OS - 175 CFR C PD
OS - 168 S PD
Stable Control - 175 P PD (lightly seasoned)
Understable w/ fade - 175 P PD (beat)
Understable - 172 Star Roadrunner
Fairway - DX and Star Eagle-X's
Mids - Roc/MD2 (still testing them out against each other)
Putters - Wiz/magic combo

10 discs + putters, 4 driver molds, 2 midrange molds, 2 putter molds

Anyway, what I have found is that a rotation of P-line PD's will help cover slots in between an overstable PD and a Roadrunner. I have Eagle's in the fairway slot, because I too am more comfortable with a slower driver on the fairway than powering down my PD. They are great for working a tight gap where you can't afford to throw a 10 speed driver - especially my seasoned DX EX.

As for comets, they pair really well with Rocs. Both have a similar rim shape to them, so its an easy fit. I personally would not use Comets as my only mid, since it's -2 HSS. If you want to stick to only one mold for mids, pick up a used DX Rancho Roc for an understable mid, and work your next roc into rotation. Or you could pick up a C MD2 (gummy) to use as an all-around mid. They fly more like a seasoned roc to me, so if you make it your only mold, you will need to release it with more hyzer or more anhyzer to get the line you want (vs. just releasing a beat-in roc flat and letting it turn right, etc.)

And as for the GM, I had one in my bag, got rid of it, and don't miss it. Personally, I just didn't think it fit the bill an in-between disc. That's what I use Eagle-X's for. The GM didn't seem as workable, and I like the way Eagle's feel in my hand better.

Lastly, don't worry about a VOS putter. Use a roc for those shots.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Hyzerline49 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:59 am

when it comes to very overstable putters, the zone is supreme! a roc can't match its overstability
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion