Hydra

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hydra

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:23 am

Are there really not any Hydra lovers out there? I don't hear many people talking about them at all. I have a question if there is actually anyone else out there who throws them, do these things actually get less stable? I've not HIT a lot of stuff with my R-Pro (which this is the ONLY disc I will tolerate in R-Pro, cause lets face it, this isn't REALLY R-Pro) but I just don't see this stuff breaking in... If it does, which goes first? HSS or LSS?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Re: Hydra

Postby Booter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:41 am

I think most people like that mold preferr the oop bulldog instead
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:41 am

Crosseyed0811 wrote:(which this is the ONLY disc I will tolerate in R-Pro, cause lets face it, this isn't REALLY R-Pro)
Yes it is, just one of the many different blends of R-Pro, ranging from the pretty tough and (IIRC) stiff Hydra blend, to the floppy putter blends that are totally indestructible, stiffish' and regular Pro durability mid-range blends (First Run P-MD2 <3) all the way to the crappy crap crap driver blends.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:52 am

jubuttib wrote: the pretty tough and (IIRC) stiff Hydra blend

Yes its pretty stiff. I just haven't felt any other R-Pro that feels the way this one does, much like I'd never felt any DX that felt the way the old DX Hydras felt. That was the reason for my comment.

But yeah I've not hit anything with it, probably because I learned to treat my DX Hydra's with respect or else they developed those really nasty "teeth". But I don't think I've seen anything put so much as a scratch on this thing, and I just can't imagine them breaking in or how they would break in. Hoping someone has had an R-Pro long enough to beat it out of some of its stability and let me know how they wear in
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:46 am

Crosseyed0811 wrote:
jubuttib wrote: the pretty tough and (IIRC) stiff Hydra blend

Yes its pretty stiff. I just haven't felt any other R-Pro that feels the way this one does, much like I'd never felt any DX that felt the way the old DX Hydras felt. That was the reason for my comment.

But yeah I've not hit anything with it, probably because I learned to treat my DX Hydra's with respect or else they developed those really nasty "teeth". But I don't think I've seen anything put so much as a scratch on this thing, and I just can't imagine them breaking in or how they would break in.
I've thrown an R-Pro Hydra some time ago, and I seem to recall it was pretty scuffed but still very much stable.
Hoping someone has had an R-Pro long enough to beat it out of some of its stability and let me know how they wear in
Depends, an R-Pro Boss will be beat to death after two-three rounds, while I've yet to beat a first run P-MD2 to flippy (I've managed understable though) with a season+ of use, and my P-P1 (R-Pro Aviar) is totally indestructible. So yeah.

No real idea how the blend used in the Hydra seasons.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Prerube » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:35 pm

I carry a dx hydra, but never throw it, it just gives me confidence that I can risk throwing at water. My dad putts with an R-Pro Hydra.
Prerube
Ruby's Pimp-ass shirt revival

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:15 pm

Prerube wrote:I carry a dx hydra, but never throw it, it just gives me confidence that I can risk throwing at water. My dad putts with an R-Pro Hydra.

That was why I first got my Hydra, but I soon found out I liked the grip on it better than any other putter I'd found.. Just too over stable for me to putt with. Putting with Darts right now and having good results..
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:31 pm

I've been debating adding a hydra to my bag for a while. It feels really nice in my hand but I just can't bring myself to buy one. sell me on one
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:09 am

zj1002 wrote:I've been debating adding a hydra to my bag for a while. It feels really nice in my hand but I just can't bring myself to buy one. sell me on one

Its been a good disc for me, doubles as an overstable putter and overstable mid... As well as the added mental security when water is in play. I've told my friends before, its a GREAT wind disc: the only thing I've seen it float on is water..
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Booter » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:14 am

Do the dx's float too? I had a dx hydra but I never threw it
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:20 am

Booter wrote:Do the dx's float too? I had a dx hydra but I never threw it

All Hydra's float
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby phoenix212 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:09 am

I keep a hydra in my bag for shorter drives over water and it also has served me well as a short range thumber, the stiffer dx plastic doesnt flex as much and seems to retain a better flight path for me.
phoenix212
Noob

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:37 am

phoenix212 wrote:I keep a hydra in my bag for shorter drives over water and it also has served me well as a short range thumber, the stiffer dx plastic doesnt flex as much and seems to retain a better flight path for me.

I have actually NEVER thrown mine as a thumber... can't believe that as I love throwing my Firebird as thumbers.

Still no one thrown an R-Pro Hydra long enough to describe its break in pattern?
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:21 pm

I've got a buddy that bought the hydra for putting, upshots, and throwing over water. He's not the best player I've seen and hits a lot of trees and the brick hard hydra never changed except for the skuff marks. I play ultimate and am still really new to disc golf but I recall it felt great in my FH grip but it didn't fly far or come off very clean for me with my 15 tries playing catch with him. He recently told me how he well it floats too when he left it floating in the middle of the lake at Johnson Road Park just outside of Memphis. I'd think a year or so of setting in the sun and floating in the water might loosen it up a bit.

Have you checked out the R-pro Pig. Think I'll be getting one of these for short ups and drives and I really like how it flicks.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:28 pm

7ontheline wrote:I've got a buddy that bought the hydra for putting, upshots, and throwing over water. He's not the best player I've seen and hits a lot of trees and the brick hard hydra never changed except for the skuff marks. I play ultimate and am still really new to disc golf but I recall it felt great in my FH grip but it didn't fly far or come off very clean for me with my 15 tries playing catch with him. He recently told me how he well it floats too when he left it floating in the middle of the lake at Johnson Road Park just outside of Memphis. I'd think a year or so of setting in the sun and floating in the water might loosen it up a bit.

Have you checked out the R-pro Pig. Think I'll be getting one of these for short ups and drives and I really like how it flicks.

Haha, I think they typically sink after a while... somewhere like a day to a week and it'll be underwater...
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Equipment