Building my bag from the ground up

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Building my bag from the ground up

Postby Peot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:18 am

Hey all,

I discovered this website very early in my disc golf career (basically a few months after I started playing) so I've taken a lot of disc and technique recommendations to heart. I'm still only about 15 months into my career, (minus November-February) so although I have some favorites, I'm willing to try just about any plastic I can get my hands on. I'm in the process of trying to solidify my bag. Here's what I'm working with so far:

Putters

173 Medium Wizard (putting duties)
168 SS Wizard (beat)
173 M Wizard (slightly beat)
173 S Wizard (main driving/upshot disc)
175 S Wizard (this one is pretty overstable)

Mids

176 GL Fuse (this one is pretty flippy now after some wear, I had an Opto one that was more stable that I left on the fairway)
177 S MD2
174 C MD2

Fairway Drivers
168 ESP Cyclone (wearing, thrown with hyzer it will flip to flat, thrown on a very slight hyzer it will flip up, turn and fade back)
170 Star Teebird

Distance Drivers
167 Champ Valk (I have great command on this one. It's pretty flippy but I love throwing it with hyzer, having it turn over and come back)
170 GL Flow (Don't throw this much outside of practice yet, but I've had a couple bombs)
175 Star Firebird (thumbers, utility disc)

I'm not really married to anything, particularly not my mids. I love the glide of the Fuse, but I could see myself liking Comets. Here's a list of discs I am going to try in the near future that could work their way into the bag:

Ion, Comet, Pain (not sure if I'll like these since I can't get the hang of Rocs), River, PD. I like discs that are workable, and stuff that glides is a plus. I'm also thinking about throwing in some DX Teebirds, seeing as they are much better bombers than the Star one I currently throw.

Thanks for the input!
Peot
Tree Magnet

Re: Building my bag from the ground up

Postby JR » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:50 am

That seems like a good bag for calmer conditions. Maybe some wind beaters would help in different speeds from putters to drivers. Although TB and FB are a great start so i'd look at putters and mids first and if you don't have problems with the winds with drivers you're fine and don't need help there. Do you have a flat top thin Firebird or a normal domed one? Flat ones are great.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Peot » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:54 am

It's pretty flat. I'm hoping to try the Pain because I feel like I need a mid that will fight the wind better. I could see myself with a Comet/Pain lineup, maybe one Buzzz or something for the occasional drive. My only problem is being a poor college kid. Our local club gets a lot of plastic that you can get with league winnings, but it's usually just whatever the latest Innnova/Discraft disc is on the market.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby Dbuntu » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:27 pm

Have you considered asking some players at your club to let you sample some discs or maybe buy a used one from them? Folks around me are pretty friendly with that sort of thing.
I really like my Comet. It's really glidey, but I don't know enough to offer more that.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Peot » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:05 pm

Added another 170 S TB, a brand new stable slate grey one.

Lost the GL Fuse. Orange Crush... damn you!

As for borrowing discs- not a lot of people around here throw anything that I haven't thrown already. Ions are spreading a little bit, but Lat 64 stuff is rare. I have seen 1 to 2 people tops throwing Comets, nobody throwing a River and one person throw a PD (this guy also is one of the few who throws Ions/L64 stuff). Since everyone is throwing Eagles/Challengers/Buzzz/etc, and plastic of that ilk is what our club tends to stock, I'm pretty much SOL in that respect.
Peot
Tree Magnet

Postby Peot » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:39 am

+171 Champ Valk (freshie)
+171 DX Wraith (testing, threw 400 ft slightly downhill on my first throw with this so I think I'm ready for it)

-176 ESP Buzzz (sweet spot, replaced Fuse.... I am terrible about losing plastic)
Peot
Tree Magnet

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion