MVP Ion

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

MVP Ion

Postby discspeed » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:18 am

After a maddening search for the MVP Ion thread I finally realized that the original Ion thread became the MVP Disc Sports thread stickied at the top of the equipment page. This has left DGR without a thread dedicated exclusively to this wonderful little putter...Until now!

For info on the Ion/MVP's humble DGR beginnings check here:http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15566
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: MVP Ion

Postby discspeed » Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:32 am

I went to the MVP warehouse and factory yesterday and man there is a lot of new stuff going on with Ions...

For example, soon new Ions(and all other MVP discs) will have "Patent Pending" embossed in the center.

Also, I sampled LIGHTWEIGHT Ions of several types. There are now both softs and mediums in the 160s, and this is good news for everyone. As I tested 2 medium 168-169s and a soft 170 I quickly realized that I really have barely any need for heavy Ions...These new lighter ones are blowing me away because as far as I can tell they seem to glide much more without having a downside. They are just as stable as their heavier brethren and they go farther on a lower line. On full power rips they hold steady with just a slight turn, just like the heavies...Even in headwinds they held up about as well as the heavies, and BY FAR better than any other putter at this weight. The mediums are super straight and my lighter soft is a touch more stable. These make approaching so much easier as well. After talking with Blake about putters some time ago he really had me curious about lighter putters...However, I was throwing Voodoos at the time and when I got some lighter ones they just didn't do anything for me other than flip sometimes when I didn't want them to. Now with these new Ions I'm really starting to revisit some of those discussions.

I also tested an *Ion prototype of an undisclosable nature* that weighed under 165 and had glide and stability perhaps unmatched by any previous Ion I've thrown. They had to pry it from my hands before I left as it is one of only a few protos, but I assure you some more revolutionary Ion work is soon to come. I'm excited as hell and I will probably be going home and giving away some of my old Ions to those in need in my community... :wink:
discspeed

Postby Timko » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:38 am

I like the notion of lighter Ions.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:53 am

My favorite Ion putters were the 166-67 red ring protos. Glad to see them working in multiple directions, kudos to MVP.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby Monocacy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:05 am

Discspeed, glad to see you are finally getting on the light-Ion bandwagon. :wink: OK, there is currently plenty of room on the bandwagon - but it should be a lot more crowded. I truly believe that many folks who hold negative opinions about lighter discs would be pleasantly surprised if they threw a few.

I probably mentioned in the other thread, but 168-9 soft Ions replaced the Wizard and Magic in my bag. I will pick up a couple of < 170 medium Ions when they become available at my usual online retailers (and when the Diamond Light gets restocked).

discspeed wrote:I also tested an *Ion prototype of an undisclosable nature* that weighed under 165 and had glide and stability perhaps unmatched by any previous Ion I've thrown. . . .

I love stable, glidey discs in light weights so Proto light Ion sounds intriguing. When you say “unmatched stability”, are you referring to stable (zero HSS) or overstable?
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby emiller3 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:15 am

Anybody have any 168-169's of the newer mold that they're looking to trade or sell? I want to try an Ion!

I'm a Wizard guy but have a need for a fairly neutral premium plastic driving putter.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Timko » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:18 am

There are no 168-169's of the newer mold. Pretty much everything was in the 174 range up until now.
Timko

Postby emiller3 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 am

cmrichar wrote:
Frank Delicious wrote:Oh and since I'm posting in this thread now. Make lighter Ions again! I want me some 167ish Ions.

Done. Check your retailers soon However just keep note, they wont be as 'flippy' as our very first runs as the true first runs had a smaller portion of bead exposed.

EDIT: Looks like DGC has some 168's left. We ran them down to 167, some 165.

That was back on May 21st. It wasn't clear to me if they were the new molds or not, but I assumed that since they occurred after the conversation about the mold change that they were. They're not? I was debating buying one from dgc, the fact that they're black was the only thing that gave me pause.

I see that Brad posted more recently that they just ran more 165-169's, surely those are the new mold, but I guess you're saying they aren't out yet.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Monocacy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:44 am

emiller3 wrote:I see that Brad posted more recently that they just ran more 165-169's, surely those are the new mold, but I guess you're saying they aren't out yet.

Marshall Street has a few at 168 and 169 in orange or white - check under "MVP soft Ion (no stamp)". I am hoping that the next batch of light Ions will hit the stores soon.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby peppermack » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 pm

Sad to say (because I had a huge vibram stockpile) but I have switched back to the ion after a very long hiatus and my putting game is sooo much better. It has hurt not to have any vibram in my bag but I can't ignore the superior all around versatility of the ion. Laser beam straight for driving, holds a wicked cool hyzer line, and really compliments my hybrid spin/push putting style. My last 4 Ridges are in the BST section cause i just can't see going back to them for my main putter ever again:(
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby ILikeBigButts » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:01 pm

gonna patch that vibram-shaped hole in your bag? :D
ILikeBigButts
Noob

Postby discspeed » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:31 pm

Monocacy wrote:Discspeed, I truly believe that many folks who hold negative opinions about lighter discs would be pleasantly surprised if they threw a few.

It depends...Chad told me that most companies take a disproportionate amount of weight from the rim of lighter discs, making them less gyroscopic. He said that they try to keep the same weight distribution between the flightplate and overmold in the lighter runs as they do in the heavy runs. This means that you can really notice the advantages of the lighter weight (more glide, less LSS, slower drop rate) without disadvantages that come with reduced gyroscopics.

Monocacy wrote:

discspeed wrote:I also tested an *Ion prototype of an undisclosable nature* that weighed under 165 and had glide and stability perhaps unmatched by any previous Ion I've thrown. . . .

I love stable, glidey discs in light weights so Proto light Ion sounds intriguing. When you say “unmatched stability”, are you referring to stable (zero HSS) or overstable?

I was referring to the HSS...For a 165 it was incredibly HSS, but not LSS.
discspeed

Postby mattw » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:36 pm

I have 2 Soft and 2 Meds coming form Gotta Go Gotta throw. The softs are 168 I was told they are the new mold without the texture on the bottom. I never realy gave the Ion much of a shot when they first came out. I have been in such a putting slump for the past few months that it was starting to make me want to just stay home. So I packed up my other putters and got rid of them. Ordered the Ions and came up with a putting practice routine based on that Discraft putting video. I figure since I have no past with this putter it will be a clean slate.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby discspeed » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:56 pm

New lightweight softs = $$$$. You waited until a good time to try Ions! I grabbed an orange 170 S and it glides like my FR 167, but it's much more stable. Pretty much exactly what I was hoping it would be. BTW...In my experience all of the new run softs are a little more HSS than the past soft runs.

In terms of both the new softs and mediums...I really like the new feel underneath. I'm already clean rips more consistently with the new ones, especially on low speed shots.

After playing a whole round today throwing my new 168-169 mediums I must HIGHLY recommend them to DGR. They fly sooo straight and glidey, very reminiscent of shorter comets. They are making my 175s feel very clunky. From a standstill I'm getting 20' more distance than I do with my heavies, and they hold their height much better on slower throws. If you've ever liked the Ion but wished it had more glide, you owe it to yourself to try these out.
discspeed

Postby Timko » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:00 pm

Would you carry both heavies and lights?

Currently, I carry 4 Wizards: 168 (new and thrashed), and 175 (new and thrashed). Do you still see a need for both types of weight? Have you thrown the lights into a wind yet?
Timko

Next

Return to Equipment