It's fair... cfair

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Lets try again... CFair

Postby cfair » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Picked up some new stuff and testing it all out.

XLink and Firm Ridge - was my disc of choice last year, lets see if it holds out this year.
XLink and Firm Summit - It is nice putting and great for turnovers. I feel like it will be in the bag but just as a sometimes disc.
Ion - nice for turnovers but there are to many things about the disc itself that I don't like. it went out pretty quick.
KC Aviar - 12x, nothing special. Just wanted to try one. I understand why so many like it but it is very similar to other big beads to me. Sneaky long though, but the drawback is the current run of plastic and deep rim. Can I flat top these?
Medium Wizard - I can see now why so many people like it. It is a very nice disc and a strong contender. Only drawback is the deep rim. I may try some of the softer plastics.
Medium Voodoo - its suppose to be overstable like the wizard but without the BB... but a wizard it is not. The low nose and a couple other things caused grip issues I didn't like.
ProD Zone - I was expecting much more from it, but eh... kicked it out on the first round. May give it another shot.
ProD Ringer - Surprise of it all. I'm enjoying this disc a lot. So far seems to be a strong contender for kicking out the ridge.

Feel free to weight in and tell me your thoughts.
So, Round one:
-Ion, Summit, Voodoo are out
-Zone might get another try. but we'll wait
-Current contenders are KC Aviar, Medium Wizard, XLink and Firm Ridge, and Pro D Ringer.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Re: Lets try again... CFair

Postby cfair » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 pm

bleh, don't know what just happened to my post... I think I hit refresh....

the long and veiny of is I didn't like Voodoo, Ion, Summit, or Zone. The KC Aviar, Medium Wizard, XLink and Firm Ridge, and ProD Ringer I'm picking between. The Zone may get another audition.

Rocs Roc and Comets are super duper crazy nice. I have ESP, TP, and Z Comets. Z is staying, and the ESP may win out of the TP...
cfair
Tree Magnet

Re: It's Fair, CFair.

Postby cfair » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:23 pm

So I tested them all out and kicked out the slightly understable ones right away. I decided to drop the Ridge because of its ability to conceal OAT to well. Mine was beat well but even beat didn't glide as well as new KC Aviars, wizards, and other discs...

I dropped the ringer because at first I liked the low profile. Driving and approaching with it was a little odd though and eventually in putting the Wiz and Aviar won out. Today was the deciding factor. KC Aviar just feels like a fit in so many ways, now to beat one in. I suppose I'll just stick with regular old 12x...

So the bag looks like this

Putter
1 KC Aviar. I may try a light one or a yeti soon.
I may do 2-3 tops but that will come later.

Mids
ESP Comet - beat to crap, I love it, it will stay a long time, and other ESP will have to get rotated in
Z Comet - its new-ish, will beat it in
3 Rocs - one beat KC, my lover boy Pink DX Rancho, and a pink one that I flat topped just to try. I may... at some point end up only using Rocs... I love the comet. But I want to reduce molds and if cycling Rocs works well enough, I'll go that route. Anyone have any thoughts/tips on this?

I really like my mids and putter now, a lot. Time for drivers...
as of now I'm using
Pro Leo
Pro D Cyclone
and DX Teebird. I think the Teebird will take it... but eh... time will tell.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby cfair » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:27 pm

Putter
KC Aviar - I've decided this one is a tester/first beat silly one. I'm just going to be as rough with it as I want and then buy 2-3 or even a 5 pack soon-ish. I'm going to try dying it pink of fushia just for the fun of it. May remove the stamps as well. No yeti

Mids
3 Rocs may just take over the mid game. Maybe 4 someday, but right now I have an ESP Comet for bombing 310'-320'

Driver
Right now using a Pro D Cyclone to try to get into the drivers again. It feels so much like a mid I'm hoping it will help me bridge between actually being able to get nose down...
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby cfair » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:36 am

okie dokie, bag is this atm

2 stiff as cam todd Pro D Challengers. I learned how to tell good challenger's from the others while I was in Michigan and I feel like good D Challengers can match my KC Aviars and day of the week. The best ones I've found are orange and white.

TP Comet - flippy and beat silly, warped even.
175+ ESP Comet - lovely, these 3rd runs are the best.
177 Red Z Comet - I want to find more of these. I use it when its windier, does lots of cool things.

171g ESP Cyclone - I have never been this happy with a fairway driver. I finally found a fit to start bringing in fairway drivers.

Heavy Green Z Pred - overstable utility.

I also enjoy KC Aviar's and DX Rocs. But they'll be out of the bag for a little while so I can test these out. Let me know what you think.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Re: Doin The Jump Around...

Postby cfair » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:58 pm

**sigh**

I'm wanting my bag to look something like this

Putter
(up in the air... I think I'm going to try out the Warlock... but I may want a Yeti... the challenger is still nice I'm using a challenger atm... I hate putters...)
175 D Rattler - mark ellis selected. I like having something catch disc-like because I sometimes like make catch disc-like shots. It has already proven its worth.

Mids
Comet - Roc combo - its such a good combo. But I may run a roc only group and drop my comet collection... or may just keep 1 Comet and 2-3 Rocs

Fairway Driver
164 Blue ESP Cyclone - I already really like this disc, once I clean up my form I think I'll be able to get this guy out there for some nice distance.

Turning Driver
175 Z Avenger SS - Sarah Demar had me cranking on this thing. I'm enjoying how easy it is to have a driver that turns like this brand new.

Overstable/utility Driver
Pink Z Pred - bought at PIAS, really beaten in and really nice. Glad to find a beaten in Pred.
Green Z Pred - new, more overstable the the pink one.

Suggest a neutral putter to me...
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:03 pm

What is your definition of a neutral putter? One that you can throw and putt with? Or are you talking stability?
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby cfair » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:19 am

stability. I will always approach and drive with the putter I putt with.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:48 pm

I did throw and putt with my Magics and at one point I considered a Zero Pure.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Dbuntu » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:13 am

cfair wrote:**sigh**
Mids
Comet - Roc combo - its such a good combo. But I may run a roc only group and drop my comet collection... or may just keep 1 Comet and 2-3 Rocs

Could someone explain why the comet/roc is a good combination? I love both because of how versatile they are, but that same awesomeness makes it seem weird to carry both. Somebody validate my desire to carry both?
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:51 am

Dbuntu wrote:
cfair wrote:**sigh**
Mids

Could someone explain why the comet/roc is a good combination? I love both because of how versatile they are, but that same awesomeness makes it seem weird to carry both. Somebody validate my desire to carry both?

/validated

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby cfair » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:05 am

The Comet is a wonderfully stable disc and will help ones form a whole darn lot. It will also hyzer flip forever. Rocs are more overstable (but not too overstable) and beat into something that resembles the Comet. Over long periods of time you can beat on into a comet like disc. But even then they will sometimes flex out of a turn or stall mid anhyzer.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:34 am

cfair wrote:The Comet is a wonderfully stable disc and will help ones form a whole darn lot. It will also hyzer flip forever. Rocs are more overstable (but not too overstable) and beat into something that resembles the Comet. Over long periods of time you can beat on into a comet like disc. But even then they will sometimes flex out of a turn or stall mid anhyzer.

Comets won't do this most of the time, unless you throw it way too high. One of my friends didn't really throw a Comet because his answer was a beat in Roc. He doesn't throw Rocs anymore and moved on to the Pain/Fuse combo. I'd rather have a disc that does what I need right away out of the box or close to it. What happens when you beat in a Roc and lose it or it breaks and you don't have a backup? You're game suffers...

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Dbuntu » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:01 am

cfair wrote:The Comet is a wonderfully stable disc and will help ones form a whole darn lot. It will also hyzer flip forever. Rocs are more overstable (but not too overstable) and beat into something that resembles the Comet. Over long periods of time you can beat on into a comet like disc. But even then they will sometimes flex out of a turn or stall mid anhyzer.

Sorry, the way I read this is that Comets are nice and Rocs are nice because they become Cometesque with the exception that the Roc may stall out anhyzer.
My lack of understanding deepens, but I'm on my way to the course and I'm taking both so I don't guess it's too critical.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Re: It's fair... cfair

Postby cfair » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:01 pm

K... the bag is this

Challenger
Rattler
Comet
Roc
Cyclone
Predator

but I'm going to test out some putters
Ion
Warlock
KC Aviar
Challenger
Magnet

I am also going to see what combination of Comet and Rocs works best. I hope to only have 4 mids.
cfair
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion