GottaGoGottaThrow Helped beginner put together this bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

GottaGoGottaThrow Helped beginner put together this bag

Postby Jank » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm a 2 year old player (I can drive approx 275-325).

Drivers:
Valkryie (DX plastic 167) - I use this mostly when I have alot of open space and I want a long S curve
Valkrye (Star plastic 171) - I use this when there's alot of trees so I don't ruin my DX version or when I don't need as big of an S curve
Predator (High overstable 173) - I use this when I need a heavy left turn overstable disc. Or I use this for a blade or sometimes trick shots.
Orion LF (Long fade 170ish) - This was recommended to me as a good into the wind disc
Quarter K II (understable 169) - I use this when I want to throw backhand and have a disc flop over for a right turning shot (opposite of Predator)
Teebird - I use this for a 250-275 fairway drive which needs to be precise
Buzz midrange - I am coming from an ultimate frisbee background and this felt more like an ultimate disc then the Roc did. The roc seemed to not hang up in the air as long or float.
Wizard putter - I like the feel of the putter but I'm not very good with it. I was worse with a Magnet and Aviar. I don't know what else to try. Was thinking Challenger.

I don't have room in my small bag for much more so if you want to put something in, take something out. Please help me understand why
Jank
Noob

Favorite Disc: Valk

Re: GottaGoGottaThrow Helped beginner put together this bag

Postby swel304 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:08 pm

I hope my kid can bust 300" and speak fluent English when he/she is two years old!!

sorry, couldn't resist.
Wizard-Buzz-PolarisLS-Valkyrie-Wraith-BlizzKatana

http://www.XTREMEairbrush.com
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Wordgie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:24 pm

I'm a big fan of the Valk. Without any research or anything, I grabbed one as my first disc. I just saw "Distance Driver" and grabbed it. I lost my 171 DX and replaced it with a 175 DX. This disc tells me when I screw up but it rewards me when I nail it just right. I'm trying my best to like my Roc and it's slowly coming around, but I find myself grabbing the Buzzz more often. I'm also loving the T-Bird.

My first putter was a 150 Aviar and I really like it, just not fond of the light weight. I picked up a 175 Magnet and love the thing! As soon as I can I'm grabbing a 175 Aviar.

Not a bag suggestion, but make use of the technique tips offered on here. In every thread, there's something you can take with you that will make a small improvement in each aspect of your game.

The most important for me have been...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9959

and...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22001

Which is explained very well in the video on page two of...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11614&start=15
Wordgie
Noob

Postby Jank » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:45 am

Any other suggestions?
Jank
Noob

Postby MR. WICK » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Beat up that DX valkyrie a little more and then you can drop that qk2. Then it's a pretty solid bag
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby justactnormal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:05 am

I gotta disagree about that quarter k II. I think for beginners it might be the best disc out there. I've heard others say it's a piece of crap, but I've had 2, and as a ~2yr player myself I find that it's easily the longest disc that I've ever thrown. It may be too understable for experienced players or those with a lot of snap, but for me this disc is insane. I've field tested a lot of drivers and if you understand that you have to throw this thing like a midrange, you'll get crazy length out of it. By that, I mean you can't muscle up on it or snap it hard.... just a smooth, flat 3/4 power pull puts it out farther than anything I've ever thrown. I know it sounds weird, but my go to driver has always been a wraith and still is for a lot of drives. But thrown back to back the QK II just effing goes and goes. A 3/4 power toss will out run a full power drive from the wraith every time. It's not very stable, so obviously you gotta check the wind. But for beginners this is a good thing, as you'll learn what flies best in what situation and what kind of flightpath different discs will give you. Keep the QK and throw it less than full power and you'll learn disc control. Just sayin".
justactnormal
Noob

Favorite Disc: DX Wraith

Postby Jank » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:23 am

I got rid of the quarter K, it's just too squirrly for me. It turns over understable and usually keeps going. I understand what your saying about not snapping it as hard but that in itself is harder for me to do. It's just one more thing that you gotta worry about when throwing that disc. It's too risky for me.

I am curious to try a Vulcan or a Katana now though...
Jank
Noob

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion