New to the board?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: New to the board?

Postby DanH » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:57 am

Probably not, I have been playing at least a couple times during the work week at Middle Creek. I try to get out to UNC and Harris on the weekends. I should really start doing some of the weekly doubles, get out and meet folks. :oops: It's hard due to work and kids, but it is definitely a goal of mine to show up to several before the end of summer.
DanH
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Monocacy » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:15 am

Kage wrote:. . . moved to Columbia MD around the beginning of December. Waited for things to thaw and now I can be found at Rockburn Branch at least 2-3 afternoons a week. . .

Welcome, fellow Marylander! Did you play the Rumble? If so, you may have seen me - I was the one who hit a tree on #7. :wink:

If you have not already discovered it, Wednesday night doubles at Rockburn is a great way to meet local players. Playing times and other local info posted on MD-Discgolf.com (free registration required)

http://www.md-discgolf.com/forum/

Patapsco State Park has an epic course not far from you - have you played that yet?
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:04 pm

Hello, my first post from Memphis. I'm new to disc golf but not new to snapping plastic. 20 years of off an on Ultimate have helped my throws but not my knees. I started playing disc golf full blast last fall and with a lot of practice and good advice here I now shoot more birdies than bogeys.

Thanks to all who have shared what they know and helped me without knowing.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby juanbond » Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:38 pm

New to DGR...old to disc golf. Howdy ya'll.
juanbond
Noob

Favorite Disc: Rhyno

New to the board?

Postby *SpiderMan » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:06 pm

How's it going guys? The names Chris and I'm from Northeast TN area. Ive played dg for about 2 years now. I just recently played Castle Hayne Course while on Vacation in Topsail, NC; but my home course has to be Warriors Path.
*SpiderMan
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Spider

Postby 7ontheline » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:29 am

Howdy Juan and Spidey
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:50 am

How'd you like the Castle spider?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

New to the board?

Postby *SpiderMan » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:08 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:How'd you like the Castle spider?

I loved it! I'm use to alot of elevation and universal par 3 holes. But at Castle most of pars for each hole were dead on. I got the 700ft hole in 4 so I was pretty happy.
*SpiderMan
Noob

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:49 am

Getting a 4 on that the first time you play it is pretty impressive.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

New to the board?

Postby *SpiderMan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:06 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Getting a 4 on that the first time you play it is pretty impressive.

I couldn't have asked for a better first three throws and then I only had about a 10 ft putt.
*SpiderMan
Noob

Postby PrettyPoorActually » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Hey all,
Newbie here from Kansas. My brother-in-laws got me into this stinking addicting game, now I can't quit losing discs in the field next to the house. I'm here lurking trying to figure out how to throw my XL past 225', since the 175g Groove my brother-in-law got me is shorter than my putter. . . I'll potentially post nooblike questions now and then (after I use the search function). Please bear with me.
Cheers! :D
RED
PrettyPoorActually
Noob

Favorite Disc: Whamo

Postby Lamp » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm Lamp, people seem to like me because I'm polite and I'm rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks. Years later, a doctor will tell me I have an IQ of 48, and I'm what some people call, mentally retarted.

But in all seriousness, I am an almost-everyday-disc-golfer from the Milwaukee area. I've been discing for about two years now and came here to learn more about the sport and also to help others with advice. That previous sentence was actually a lie, I came here because Booter is a moderator and I respect him.
To conclude, I dislike timg of DiscGolfCourseReview.
Lamp
Tree Magnet

Postby MDP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:27 pm

Iowa disc golfer here.

I've been playing for 6 years or so. Started out throwing sidearm in high school since everyone I knew threw side arm. I stumbled across DGR at some point and was thrilled to find such in depth articles. Convinced myself to learn backhand and studied Blake's articles obsessively.

At this point, I play a 3-5 times a week. Most of the time at the local course, which is Pickard Park (near Des Moines, IA). It's used as a course for the First Class Challenge an A-Tier event that some of you may be familiar with. I'm throwing 425-450 max D but struggle a lot with consistency and clean releases (I grip lock and tend to release at a late angle; sometimes at the same time!).

Hoping to get some videos posted to maybe get some help identifying the problem.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:12 pm

You seem like a knowledgeable guy about DG so you're a valuable addition to the crew :-) How far off your left and right pec do you pull the disc in inches? Do you pull from the left side of the teepad far off the body in the reach back to close to the right pec and then right of the right side in the hit? All of those can wreak havoc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby MDP » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:15 am

JR wrote:You seem like a knowledgeable guy about DG so you're a valuable addition to the crew :-) How far off your left and right pec do you pull the disc in inches? Do you pull from the left side of the teepad far off the body in the reach back to close to the right pec and then right of the right side in the hit? All of those can wreak havoc.

Just standing in my living room and reaching back - the inside edge of the disc is about 2 inches from my chest and stays about the same during the pull through.

Of course, what I do in my living room, and what I actually do on the course could be entirely different. I'll try to get a video up...
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion